How to transfer from a 2-Foot Spin,to a 1-Foot Spin.

Discussion in 'Moves In The Field' started by FSWer, Sep 5, 2012.

1. FSWer

FSWer New Member

Ok,I'm not even sure if I'm Spinning correctly on TWO Feet to begin with. So,maybe somebody can help me there as well too. But,whenever I go and start to lift 1 Foot up off the Ice to try and slowly go from a 2-Foot to a 1 Foot-Spin. Al that happens is that I just stop (I have just stopped spinning on 2-Feet). My Feet don't stay Spinning...why?
  2. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

First question: Which direction do you spin? Are you rotating toward your left side or your right side?

Suggestion: Keep working on your two-foot spin. When you get a good one, try shifting most of your weight over the foot that you're spinning toward, but still keep the other foot on the ice for balance.

When you get comfortable doing that, then try shifting all your weight over the foot you're spinning toward, and lift the other foot a few inches off the ice -- hold it next to the ankle of the foot that's still on the ice.
  3. FSWer

FSWer New Member

I guess we could say my Right side. Or Clockwise. What do we mean by...shifting weight? How do you do that?...So,I would just take my other hand while Spinning,and move the Foot I'm lifting up,next to my Spinning Foot? How do I keep my balance,and keep from slowing at the same time?
  4. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

You don't have to do anything different with your arms than you're already doing in the two-foot spin.

You can practice shifting your weight from two feet to one foot standing still on the floor. You can do whatever is most comfortable with your arms for this exercise -- relax them hanging down, or lift them out to the side, or hold onto a table or wall in front of you, whatever you prefer.

Stand up on two feet with your knees bent a little bit and your feet a little bit apart, next to each other. You should feel that your weight is in between your feet and both feet are pressing down on the floor the same amount.

Now leave both feet on the floor move your hips and your whole body a few inches to the right. It should feel like your right foot is pressing down harder on the floor than it was before, and the left foot should feel like it's pressing less. You just shifted your weight over the right side.

Now move your weight back to the middle, and practice shifting right-middle-right-middle a few times.

When that feels comfortable, start with your weight in the middle and shift to the right again. You're pressing down over the right foot, and not much with the left foot. Press your right foot down even more and see if you can let your left foot come up off the floor. Lift up your left foot for one second and put it right back down again. Practice that. Then pick up your left foot and touch your right ankle with your left foot. See if you can hold it there and count to three before you put it down.

That's the weight shift from two feet onto one foot. Practice it a lot. On the floor. On the ice gliding forward. And then on the ice when you're spinning.
  5. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

gkelly has some good ideas in the posts above.

Usually when this happens it is because your feet are too far apart, and when you lift one foot then you aren't balanced over anything and you stop spinning. In your two-foot spin your feet should be close together, and when you lift one foot you should keep it close to the leg you are standing on. And don't try lifting the foot too high. It doesn't have to be very far off the ice for you to be able to spin on one foot only.