How not to run a business

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Anita18, May 15, 2013.

1. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

2. Tesla

Tesla Whippet Good

Did you watch the Kitchen Nightmares episode? It was epic.

ETA Their Facebook page isn't private so you can watch the train wreck. :watch:

Last edited: May 15, 2013
  3. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

Are these people for real or just putting on a show and continuing the show after seeing how much attention it got them from Kitchen Nightmares? This seems impossible that such crazy people exist! Lol

4. Anita18

5. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

This is amazing! I laughed the whole way through! This comment below basically sums it up:

"Nothing proves how much you love God so much as telling everyone to **** off and vainly spouting how awesome you are..."

ETA: OMG they're still going at it on the 'new official' Facebook page! The last crazy post was 4 minutes ago!

6. znachki

znachki Active Member

I went back to old Yelp reviews - way before the show was taped in Dec of 2012. Apparently there was an unfavorable review from a local food blogger, and the fight was epic. Also, when anyone criticzed them they jumped on them as well.

These guys are as whacked as Randy Quaid and his wife. :yikes:

Here's Yelp by date ascending - it's about six reviews down on 8/1/2010: http://www.yelp.com/biz/amys-baking-company-scottsdale?sort_by=date_asc

Here's an article in a Phoenix weekly about the fight:

http://blogs.phoenixnewtimes.com/bella/2010/08/ouch_todays_hard_lesson_on_yel.php

7. Tesla

Tesla Whippet Good

Is that new Facebook page for real or fake?

8. PrincessLeppard

PrincessLeppard Holding Alex Johnson's Pineapple

They are now claiming they were "hacked."

9. Anita18

That part is actually unclear, but folks took screenshots of the old one (linked from their official website) before they deleted all the posts. :p I believe that's what's on Buzzfeed.

10. Tesla

Tesla Whippet Good

I'm proud to say I saw the crazy before they deleted it. :p I'm glad it's saved to Buzzfeed.

11. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

Wow. I watched the first few minutes of the show on YouTube and thought it had to be totally faked. But then with the Facebook freak out, well, wow. So that was real? What a mess.

I kind of hoped the fired girl was a plant, but I fear that was real.

12. Anita18

13. Really

Really No longer just a "well-known member" Yay!

I watched that episode, and she is just plain crazy! He's not much better! I'm surprised they're still in business!

14. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

If you keep scrolling down that link to Yelp, every single negative review going back years has a totally batshit response from Amy, and on every single one she accuses the people of lying and making up that they were ever there or working for the competition, whomever that is. It's totally insane.

15. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

I watched the 20 minute clip of the restaurant...Amy has Michele Bachmann Crazy Eyez :eek:

16. Citlali

Citlali Well-Known Member

:eek:

The Kitchen Nightmares episode is :confused::rofl:, you canĀ“t buy that kind of crazy.

17. ChelleC

ChelleC Well-Known Member

No kidding. Great Christian witness they have. :rofl:

18. mkats

mkats New Member

Lilia A and (deleted member) like this.
  19. mkats

mkats New Member

20. Karina1974

Karina1974 Well-Known Member

Oh shit!! :D I was just reading about that on Yahoo! I had to laugh about theit comment how Walmart doesn't make the stuff they sell. Hey... the steel company I work for doesn't mill its own steel either, and we don't hide that fact. Clearly these people need to learn the meaning of the concept of "retail." One thing Gordon Ramsey is very big on is that everything served by a restaurant that claims to be top-notch MUST be freshly made. Anyone who's watched any of his TV shows, from Hell's Kitchen to Master Chef, knows that.

21. Dr.Siouxs

Dr.Siouxs Well-Known Member

22. Spareoom

Spareoom Well-Known Member

Oh wow. At first you think that the crazy has GOT to be a bit of a stunt (especially for Kitchen Nightmares; you know they probably egg on that sort of thing) but then you see that the owners have been doing this for years and years...holy cow.

23. mkats

mkats New Member

Oh man, I just took a LOOOOONG undeserved break from studying and watched the entire episode. Wow.

I kept hoping Ramsay would offer the two girls (Katy and Miranda) a job at his restaurant, but then I realized they're probably just high schoolers and he doesn't own a restaurant in Arizona. Hopefully they've got better gigs now!

24. KHenry14

KHenry14 Well-Known Member

This is the most bizarre situation that I've ever seen. The paranoia of these two people is beyond the pale. I mean, every chef in America gets ripped now an then (Ok, maybe not Thomas Keller) just ask Guy Fieri about his new Times Square Restaurant. But they don't respond like this.

A few thoughts....

1) if they were as great as they say they are, why did they contact Gordon?
    2) Nothing, and I mean nothing, will piss off their public like stealing tips does. Their denials pales into the face of Samy admitting it on screen and Miranda saying it too. Stealing from all the 100's of people who have worked for them is truly pathetic.
    3) Attacking customers is never a good idea when sites like Yelp and UrbanSpoon are around.
    4) Don't say things are fresh when they aren't. Don't advertise that you makes things when you don't.

Only influxes of Samy's money is going to keep this place afloat. BTW, don't go on national TV, claim to be a great Christian when you have a criminal record for fraud like Amy does.

Unbelievable...

25. Whitneyskates

Whitneyskates Well-Known Member

That episode was one of the craziest things I have ever seen. It was like some SNL parody. I went from :eek: to :rofl: when he chased that guy into the paring lot after asking how much longer his order was going to take.

There's been a lot of posts on various sites showing that the photos of the baked goods and other food on their site and facebook page were stolen from other websites like Martha Stewart. She really doesn't understand that the different between Walmart selling something made elsewhere is that they don't claim to make it - she claimed to make everything from scratch, which is just not possible for one person today who claims to sleep late.

Thanks to that buzzfeed link, I now know who they look like. They could pass as the lovechildren of Vanna White and Karl Lagerfeld.

26. BigB08822

I sincerely hope the servers (past and present) band together and sue for stolen tips. Isn't that something that has been done to other restaurants? It's on film so I don't think it would be a very hard case.

27. genevieve

I'm not sure how/why the servers were not getting their tips. Do customers not leave the payments at the table?

I worked for a restaurant where all tips were pooled equally between all employees who worked a shift - a practice that worked when the place was small and tables weren't really assigned to any one person - if food was ready, you took it to the table, and half the time the person who cooked your food delivered it - but once the restaurant moved into a larger space, the kitchen staff stayed int he kitchen, and servers waited on specific tables, the system just enabled certain servers to slack off majorly while the rest of us had to give additional service to their tables in addition to ours, so it stopped and we went to a traditional tipping system. But even while we did the tip pooling, servers were able to see the tips given and have a sense of what was coming to everyone. No way could the owners (a husband/wife team like this place) have kept all the tips on their own.

I wonder what their payroll structure is. In the state of Arizona, minimum wage is $7.80/hr, but tipped positions may be paid at a rate of $4.80/hr. If this business classified their servers as non-tipped positions and pays them at least $7.80/hr, the servers may not have recourse for lost tips but the customers have certainly been scammed. OTOH, if the owners are paying their servers the lower rate (which seems so very in line with the rest of what I've seen), they could end up in hot water, not only for withholding the wages (tips) from their staff, but for improper wage classification to the federal and state government.

http://www.dol.gov/whd/state/tipped.htm#foot1

28. BigB08822

Even if they were paid minimum wage it would seem like stealing since the intent on the customers part was for the server to receive the tip, not the business owner. So to me it still seems like stealing because that money was designated for them.

29. mkats

mkats New Member

In the episode, the owner (Samy) wasn't letting the waitress do anything besides take the order and then report it to him. He inputted it into the machine and picked up the money. One of the former waitresses complained that in the whole time she was there she wasn't allowed to do anything but pour water, IIRC.

Oh, and he made them wash his car during breaks.

30. genevieve

she wasn't a waitress - she was hired to cook, but said Amy distrusted anyone who had any official training in the kitchen, so she was banished to pouring water for several months until she was finally allowed behind the line.

ETA: I'm pretty surprised the cook put up with working there so long - she said she was there something like a year and a half! The guy who said he had to wash Samy's car only lasted 2 months. What a nut! (Samy, not the waiter)