How much sleep do you get?

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by skateboy, May 1, 2012.

1. skateboy

skateboy Well-Known Member

For me, 8 1/2 hours seems the perfect amount of sleep, although I can do okay with 7 if need be. 5-6 hours affects me in not such a great way and I'm basically a zombie with anything less than that.

What about you?

2. nursebetty

nursebetty New Member

I'm with you, I need my sleep and am jealous of people who don't. 8-9 is great. Can function on 7-71/2, but less than that not a pretty picture.

3. duane

duane New Member

I love my sleep, but am a natural night-person who cannot turn off the lights until at least 12:30am.

I get 8-10 hours a night on the weekend, 5-6 hours during the weekday (always nap at work during lunch).

4. rjblue

rjblue Re-registered User

I'm not a morning person. I can sleep 12 hours on the weekend, and still feel like I want more. However, as long as I get 5 hours sleep I feel fine once I'm up. Less than that and I feel slightly dumbed down.

eta (or what Duane said- minus the nap)

5. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

4 hrs during the wk max, totally jealous of all of you braggarts

6. znachki

znachki Active Member

Not enough!

7. Tesla

Tesla Whippet Good

Ditto!

8. ChelleC

ChelleC Well-Known Member

You took my answer. :lol:

I'm not a morning person, but I have to be at work at 8 am. Makes for a really fun morning. I always tell people I'm not really awake until 10 am.

I'm a night owl, so going to bed early means before midnight.

9. emason

emason Well-Known Member

I've suffered from chronic insomnia for at least 30 years. I don't know how much sleep I get, but it isn't much. Of actual sleep, I'd say about 4 hours a night - not more. The rest of it is tossing and turning.

10. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

I have noticed that I like to sleep in 4 hour increments. So I need 8 hours of sleep but usually I get 6.5 to 7 because I would need to go to bed by 9:30 every night to get 8 hours and I just can't finish my day that early. I read that the normal person's sleep cycle takes 4 hours to complete so it makes sense that I prefer 4 hours or 8 hours. I find when I need a really good nap I will pass out and always always wake up 4 hours later.

11. numbers123

numbers123 Well-Known Member

This describes my sleep patterns too. So my answer is like the majority here - not enough

12. D&Sfan4ever

D&Sfan4ever Living in a Snark

This.
    I know I should sleep more during the week, but i simply can't finish everything I need to do before midnight.

13. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Another night owl here. I try to shoot for 8 hours. Morning people are :EVILLE:

14. Grannyfan

Grannyfan Active Member

Nowadays I average about 7 hrs. per night, though it's sometimes less because I either can't go to sleep or I wake up and stay awake for a couple of hours. When I was younger, I got by on much less.

15. Veronika

Veronika gold dust woman

8 hours every night would be perfect--but most weeknights I settle for 7 or 7.5 hours. I get 8-9 hours on weekend nights.

16. Cheylana

Cheylana Well-Known Member

Me too!

17. berthesghost

berthesghost Well-Known Member

8 is ideal, but I often get 7. I too seem to sleep 4hr cycles and hate napping. Both my husband and I wake up super cranky and disorientated from naps, so we avoid them like the plague.

18. galaxygirl

galaxygirl Ma name's Beckeh

I need about 8 hours of sleep but I only get about 7 hours during the week. It's hard for me to make it up during the weekend without napping because I get headaches if I sleep more than 8 hours.

This may sound weird but I have a little trick that helps me avoid the disorientation and crankiness after a nap. I set the timer on my phone for twenty minutes and keep hitting the reset button after each twenty minutes is up. This way I get some rest without ever falling into a deep sleep, which is what causes the disorientation and crankiness.

19. Flatfoote

Flatfoote Active Member

I don't even know how to answer this. I'm a caregiver, and pretty much have to be available 24/7 for Mom. So now I sleep in tiny nap-spurts. It used to be I considered myself lucky to be able to lie down in my bed for a solid 4 hours. Now, it's looking like 2 hours at a time is the limit before she calls on me for something. This can be 2 or three times in a 24 hour period. Or, it can be several days before I see my bed again. I have a tendency to doze off in my chair, and just as I'm about ready to go upstairs to my bed to lay down, she calls on me for something else. There is no set time for this. I can be up at 2am, and try to sneak off a nap at noon. Or vice versa. Like I said, 24/7.

This is really wreaking havoc on my body. I often suffer from RLS, and the more tired I get the worse it gets. The only thing that will curb it is to lay down and stretch my legs out. For some reason stretching them out reclined in my chair doesn't work. If I get desperate, I lay down on the couch. But the dog competes with me for "her" couch. LOL. Not propery resting my legs/body makes my knees pop and creak so bad, I'm often leary of standing up from my chair lest I end up on the floor.

I can't tell you how many times I finally make it upstairs, get ready to lay down, and she calls me back down again. Or, I just get laid down, gratefully stretch my legs out, and she calls me back down before I can even think, "ahh, that feels good."

How much sleep do I get? I could say, "little to none." But the best answer is probably what others have said here. Not enough.

20. Ozzisk8tr

Ozzisk8tr Well-Known Member

I can only sleep about 5 - 6 hours a night. My mind never stops. Also very hard for me to get to sleep. On the rare occasion I get to actually sleep 8 hours or so it's bliss.

21. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

So not a morning person. I feel OK if I've slept 7 or 8 hours on a weekday; but on a weekend, I can go for so much more.

I can wake up early, if I have to; but I never will on my own (my personal wake up time is around 11 AM) and I'll NEVER be perky in the mornings! :drama:

22. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

I've always thought that the world is set up by and for morning people. I am totally fine working late into the night, that's when I feel the most energetic and productive. In the mornings I feel like I have fog in my head until about 10 am. That's also about when thoughts of breakfast finally become acceptable.

23. Flatfoote

Flatfoote Active Member

Night owl here too. So is Mom, which lends big time to the problems I mentioned in my earlier post.

I recall switching to night shift at one job. And the night manager said it would take a few weeks to get used to it. I adapted immediately. Now, when the night shift was dissolved, and I went back to days....well, that was a whole 'nother story! LOL.

I recall a "For Better or For Worse" cartoon. It's one frame. The family is sitting around the breakfast table. One of the kids is asking Dad, "how will I know if I'm a morning person or a night person?" The kids and Dad are sitting up at the table. Mom, in her robe, is sitting down, but her upper body is flopped over on the table with her face in her plate. Dad is looking at Mom and is answering, "you'll know." I cut that out and saved it. Wish I knew where it was now.

I also recall a commercial for soap. I think it was Irish Spring. You hear/see a man in the shower singing and being all energetic and cheery. The woman is leaning on the doorjamb of the bathroom, and wearily says, "Oh my God I married a morning person." Of course, the gist is later that as soon as she showers with this envigorating soap, she is all energetic like her new husband.

Last edited: May 1, 2012
  24. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

I don't think I could have married a morning person, seriously. I was worried that Mini Ice would turn out a morning person but thankfully, he is just as bad a "night owlus humongous" <--medical term, as I am. On weekend nights I let him stay up as long as he wants, which is about 11 and then he sleeps until 9-9:30. One weekend morning he showed up in our bedroom around 7 am, climbed in our bed and the two of us slept until 10. Hubby got up at 9:30. :p

25. ice dance

ice dance Member

I need 8-9 hours. If I consistently get less, my brain stops functioning properly - my spelling gets really bad, I can't remember stuff I did 10 minutes ago, and my decision making ability completely goes. Luckily I'm a morning person as my job means I have to get up between 2:30 and 4:30am most mornings.

26. skateboy

skateboy Well-Known Member

27. ChelleC

ChelleC Well-Known Member

28. CynicElle

CynicElle Well-Known Member

I'm a night owl. On weeknights, I get maybe 5 hours. I know I should go to bed much earlier than I do, but I feel like I spend so much time at work (and commuting back and forth) that I want to stay up at home because that's *my* time.

I try to sleep in on the weekends a little, but lately my cats have been making me wish they came with snooze buttons.

Flatfoote and (deleted member) like this.
  29. Flatfoote

Flatfoote Active Member

Now that is funny! :rofl: I have to go share that with some other friends!

30. aliceanne

aliceanne Well-Known Member

This is me as well. I shortchange myself during the week (night person) and catch up on the weekend. If I go a couple of weeks without catching up, I will crash and sleep the whole weekend.

If I skate after work, sometimes I can't sleep at all, although I do go to bed and turn out the lights part of the time. I usually give up and read at about 4am.