How Much is Too Much?

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by nubka, Apr 7, 2011.

1. Prancer

Prancer Dysteleological Staff Member

Was that by any chance a thread about something else--I think a woman who fell in front of a train because she was drunk or something like that? And the poster in question posted later in the thread?

2. Bonita

Bonita Active Member

I have wondered about the whole AA/not believing in God thing myself. I do understand a little more about it since reading Dave Mustaine's (Megadeth) autobiography. Now that was a dude with serious issues all the way around.

I walk by a church every Tuesday when AA is getting out, and it seems to me they have exchanged booze for cigs and coffee. I don't get it because to me if you're trying to quit/cut back on booze, the last thing you would need were two stimulants after 8:00 p.m.!

3. Southpaw

Southpaw Saint Smugpawski

The cigarettes and coffee were likely in the picture before AA came along so 1 habit out of 3 kicked to the curb ain't so bad. ;)

4. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

I can't say it wasn't but that's not the way I remember it. I'm pretty sure she started a thread.

5. PRlady

PRlady still standing

I'm blanking on where I read or saw this (middle-aged memory loss not related to drinking) but there is serious data that AA doesn't work very well. It's not just the "putting yourself in the hands of a higher power," although that's problematic for a lot of people. But the longitudinal studies show that cognitive therapy, i.e. helping people think differently about themselves and how to solve the problem, is much more useful.

And I agree that one person's alcohol dependence is another's social drinking. My ex-husband had to have a double-martini every single night except when he was sick. If we were traveling, we couldn't just eat at a little hole in the wall with good food because it wouldn't have a full bar. His personality changed considerably every night after the drink was gone. That to me is an alcohol problem, others might disagree.

6. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

I agree. To my way of thinking, any repetitive drinking that impacts personality, relationships, or ability to function in the real world is an alcohol problem. My bff from my early working days had a similar pattern, and suffered the consequences.

7. numbers123

numbers123 Well-Known Member

from what I know about AA, you accept that there is a power greater than you. My brother has been a recovering alcoholic for 30+ years. He does not believe in a Christian God, he makes his peace with being one with the universe. Not really a Buddist belief either. In some aspects it is his mentor the person he calls when the urge hits. Just that the pull of alcohol is so great that he depends on the good will of others to help him stay sober. I recently sent him birthday wishes - on the date he became sober about 5 hours before the day. And his response was he hadn't made it to the birthday yet, it is a minute by minute struggle. Even after 30+ years.

I know that there are many women who drink that much described in the article. I can not imagine drinking that much on a daily basis.I may have 1 or 2 glasses of wine in a 14 day time span, occasionally more. We do go to wineries during the spring, summer, fall - it is more the experience of slowing down and spending time together than the actual alcohol. But having alcoholics in my family, I know that they could drink a lot with seemingly no effects. I agree with PRLady and Aceon6 - it is not only how it affects you but affects those in your life.

8. purple skates

purple skates Shadow dancing

If you want to try to get a picture of addiction, the struggle to overcome it (with or without God), and the angst of those who live with it themselves or with a loved one, go to this site.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/

There's a lot of human suffering there, and a lot of human triumphs. Alcohol addiction is horrible -- well, any addiction is horrible. Having kicked cigarettes (that was physically awful) and caffeine, I can sympathize. I go there to try to understand certain people in my life.

There's a huge misconception about addicts - and that is that they could kick the habit except that they are lazy or evil blah blah. For most it is a physical problem - like being bi-polar or asthmatic - and it is so damn hard to beat. They are not addicts because they are weak or indifferent. Most deep down hate their addiction but are truly powerless over it. Until they find something to help them, whether that something is God or logic or a health scare they continue on in their own private Hell.

[/too personal stuff]

9. Bonita

Bonita Active Member

Sk8er1964, well said, all of it. My dad quit smoking almost 30 years ago and still lovingly smells the air when someone is smoking and craves one. He also tried pot and some other bad drugs in Korea during the war, drank socially over the years (an occasional beer or mixed drink) and said that cigs were his worst enemy and that giving them up was absolutely horrific. I was 14 at the time he quit smoking, and then he took up eating (gained 60 pounds) and had to lose the pounds from that after a heart attack ten years later. Everyone has their demons, we should not judge.

10. Prancer

Prancer Dysteleological Staff Member

That may be. I do remember that someone in the train thread started talking about her experiences as a recovering alcoholic and people weren't very nice; a couple of people were quite cruel.

AA is very, very protective of its stats and makes it hard for researchers to get information on them, but I believe the five-year success rate is about two percent.

11. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

So the reason habitual drinkers can drink so much without effect or much of a hangover is that they've developed tolerance. They make a lot of the enzyme called alcohol dehydrogenase that breaks down alcohol. Since their body habitually is flooded with alcohol, the enzyme is almost constantly made. But if you don't use it, you lose it so if you don't habitually drink, your body doesn't make it, alcohol accumulates and you get what amounts to a poisoning--vomiting, dizziness, slurred speech and a headache of a hangover in the morning.

I have to be careful with red wine--Californian give me a headache. Most champagne too. :( And hard liquor gives me a really bad hangover, not worth it.

12. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

California reds have a chemical that's not allowed in French wines. My head is fine after a couple of glasses of decent French, but the Cali causes sleep problems and headaches. YMMV

13. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Yup, only imported reds for me, s'il vous plaît. It's ironic, innit having all these food Nazis living in North Cal and allowing this compound in our wine. You'd think there'd be a protest.

14. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

I suppose when you have seen the affects of alcohol directly on your family, friends or neighbours, you are going to develop "biases". Particularly with a father who is a dry alcoholic and a friend who starts the day with a glass of port and keeps on drinking throughout.

However in a country like Australia alcohol is so socially accepted and if you don't drink people think there is something wrong with you. I have been lectured about how I should drink wine because "it is good for me", even though I can't stand the stuff.

But then there is the issue of violent crime and domestic violence, much of which can be directly attributed to alcohol.

Call it a bias but here it really is a big social problem here in Australia that doesn't seem to be getting any better and costs the community millions, if not billions of dollars as a result.

15. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

I used to drink this rotgut called Santa Carolina. I think it was from Chile. It was cheap.

16. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

Here is an excellent article I just found about a journalist who has given up alcohol for 12 weeks (and still off it). It is quite long but well worth reading.

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/high-sobriety-20110409-1d8gz.html

It definately explains about how deeply entrenched the alcohol culture is in our society but also how those who do drink and those who don't drink handle it.