How much do you sleep?

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by IceAlisa, Jul 23, 2014.

1. ballettmaus

ballettmaus Well-Known Member

They definitely are especially since I've come across studies stating something else entirely. The outcome of these studies probably depends on who is doing the study on which continent with how many people and who the people are (where they're from, how their brains are poled regarding sleep etc; if you look at Europe, for example, Italy and Spain have a different rhythm of life than Germans, so they probably have a different sleep pattern, too)
    I know a lot of people, friends and family, who sleep more than 7 hours, me included. They can make do with 7 if that's all they get, however, it's certainly not enough.

2. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

My natural inclination, at least since grad school, is to go to bed about 12:30 and wake up about 7:30, so yes about 7 hours.

Sometimes I need to wake up earlier for various commitments -- including a once-a-week morning skating lesson -- so I try to force myself to go to bed earlier the night before. If I'm behind on sleep or otherwise exhausted I might get sleepy well before midnight. But rarely before 11.

3. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

I kind of have to question the focus on elderly people in that study. My grandparents, when in their 80s and 90s, indeed slept only 6-7 hours a night. But they also slept frequently during the day. So there is a different rhythm there.

I sleep about 8.5 to 9 hours when there is no alarm (and there is not for me most days as I get up on my own before I need to). My husband, on the other hand, needs about an hour to an hour and a half less than that.

4. snoopy

snoopy Team St. Petersburg

I find the quality of sleep is more important than the amount of sleep. 5 hours of sleep like a baby is much better than 8 hours of tossing and turning.

5. RomyNL

RomyNL Well-Known Member

Hmmm, I sleep 5.5 hours on average.. Am I weird? :)

6. AliasJohnDoe

AliasJohnDoe Dornbush 2015!!!

I sleep 4 hours at night and 2 hours in the afternoon. About 6 hours per day total.

Rarely have I had a straight 8 hour sleep. Maybe once every 2 months.

7. sk8pics

sk8pics Well-Known Member

What is 5htp?

8. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

Not enough on the weekdays and too much on the weekends.

9. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Sometimes too much, at other times not enough, and never very well.

10. immoimeme

immoimeme my posts r modded

5-6 hrs and sometimes a power nap. If only everything opened at 6am I'd be a happy camper. I like to wake up when the birds do and listen to them sing :) I don't have a clock in the bedroom, or a tv. They are not conducive to a good sleep. Ahem.

Roommate prefers to be unconscious, "sleep" from 11pm til 10am. She takes serious drugs to achieve this. That way she doesn't have to deal with shit. She also lets the tv set her schedule. Nonononono:p

11. ice dance

ice dance Member

12. BaileyCatts

BaileyCatts Well-Known Member

About 5-6 hours ..... I just wish it was in a row! Like now its 3:45am and I'm freaking wide awake! :mad: If I happen to fall asleep after dinner (I just drop off, don't try to do it), then I wake up around 3am and can't get back to sleep. Then I just get on the computer or watch TV and try to go back to sleep in an hour or so. At least I don't have to get up for work until 7:30a, so that helps.

13. Karina1974

Karina1974 Well-Known Member

Not enough!

Didn't help that, when I adopted my cat in February, I let her sleep in my room with me, so I was getting woken up at 4:30 AM because she was huuuuungry. I've started locking her out of my room, and sometimes I even sleep through her scratching and pounding on the door (with what???? I hope it's not with her head, 'cause it sounds like someone's trying to put their fist through it!).

And now I have my new laptop so I've been up until 2 AM on a few nights this week!

14. Susan1

Susan1 Active Member

Yeah, huh? I can't fall asleep without the t.v on. I go to bed at 10 and turn on something I don't really care about (while DVRing what I do want to see) so I can fall asleep. Then I wake up to turn it off and can't get back to sleep. Last night I slept from 11-12, turned off the t.v., then didn't fall asleep again till 4, woke up at 6 because of a nightmare.

The falling asleep happens when I am reading too. I can't keep my eyes open and almost drop the book in my face. By the time I put the book down, take off my reading glasses, turn off the light, arrange my pillows, I'm wide awake again. Even happens in the afternoon. But then I just let myself fall asleep with my glasses on and the book resting on my chest for like 1/2 an hour or so and feel sick and groggy when I wake up. Why????????

15. cruisin

cruisin Well-Known Member

I sleep between 7 & 8 hours. However, I rarely sleep straight through. I typically wake up 2 or 3 times through the night. Don't get up and usually fall back to sleep fairly easily. My sleep cycle has changed, as I have gotten older. I used to be a night owl. Now, I can hardly stay up until 11, unless I am out.

Susan1, I need the TV on to fall asleep too. I turn the volume way down. I think it is the light and motion of the picture that lulls me into sleep. I keep the remote right next to me. SO, if I do semi wake up, I can turn it off. Same thing with a book. Now that I typically read on my iPad, though, I am afraid of dropping it and breaking it, so I'm less likely to fall asleep before putting it on the night table.

I can't nap unless I am sick. I never could. If I do fall asleep during the day, I get so disoriented that I can't get back to normal for the rest of the day.

16. Spun Silver

Spun Silver Well-Known Member

Like this. Generally 6-ish but then occasionally I will balance it with 7-1/2 or 8 hrs. I seem to need more sleep than I did when I was younger - I thought it was the other way around!

17. Hanna

Hanna Wheeeeeeeeeee

6-8 hours on workdays, 9-11 on weekends. That's the norm. If there's skating on from another continent it may change. ;)

BaileyCatts and (deleted member) like this.
  18. Susan1

Susan1 Active Member

You know what has messed me up? When I had Time Warner, I only had basic cable in the bedroom and I could set the timer with the t.v. remote to go off in an hour. I would turn the volume down and turn over and the t.v. would turn itself off. Once I got ATT Uverse, it's a whole house DVR with all the channels on both t.v.s. But I have to use their remote, which does not have a timer. If I used the t.v. remote timer to turn off the t.v., the cable box would still run (and whir and hum) and the big green light would stay on all night. So even now when I wake up and turn it off, it disrupts my sleep too much.

After not getting any sleep Thursday night, last night I went into the bedroom at 9 p.m. and turned on the t.v. and let myself fall asleep in my robe and slippers on top of the covers. I woke up at 11 and had to go sit in a chair for a few minutes to stop feeling weird, I brushed my teeth and went right back and got into bed with the t.v. off and slept till 6:15 a.m. Weird.

19. cruisin

cruisin Well-Known Member

I don't know if this is the same thing as L-Tryptophan. But, if it is, I would be very careful. It was quite popular in the early '80s as a sleep aid. However, they found that it could cause serious cardiac problems. People died.

20. immoimeme

immoimeme my posts r modded

Related question:
    How often do you wash the bedding?
    After I shower and wash my hair, which is not every day, I wash the bedding. So that's 2x wk.
    Roommate washes bedding once a month. I say that's not enough esp when you spend sooooo much time in bed (sleeping reading watching tv) plus the dog is on the bed all the time too.

21. Holley Calmes

Holley Calmes Well-Known Member

I would wash my sheets every day if I had the energy. I read once that Jackie Kennedy demanded fresh bed linens every day. I understand. We change them every couple of weeks. I always love that first night with crisp, clean new bedding! I sleep maybe 8-9 hours a night. Not all of it is sleep. I wake up a lot because I have a really bad back and sciatica, and the pain wakes me 4-5 times a night. I get Medicare on 9/1 and I am going to fix this!

22. AliasJohnDoe

AliasJohnDoe Dornbush 2015!!!

I wash bedding once a week on Friday. I line dry my bedding, if it's not raining. Love the smell of line dried sheets in the country air.

23. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

I am a terrible sleeper -- always have had trouble sleeping, but it only got worse with menopause. Can't get to sleep, wake up several times a night. Recently, I've gone 3-4 days at a time with around 3 hours sleep, and I lack energy, but I am really not all that tired. I'd say my average is 5-6. Strange, but when I worked nights in a restaurant, I'd get home between 1 and 4 am, it would take me a while to get to sleep, but I'd be able to sleep 7-8 hours through the day. Since my 30s, I have been workings days and I don't sleep well. My mother says I was born at 10 pm, and that is what time I wake up every day. Natural night owl. Now, I find that if I get a little sleepy in the evening, and I push myself past it, I am up most of the night. But if I just go to bed then, even if it is 9-10 pm, I sleep better overall, but I wake up at 3-4 am. Instead of getting up, I stay in bed and doze, then I am groggy when it is time to get ready for work.

24. euterpe

euterpe Well-Known Member

Since my husband died 5.5 years ago, I've become something of a night owl and rarely go to bed before 3 am. When I do, I read for at least a half hour, sometimes longer, if the book is really good (I have a Kindle).

Sometimes I have to get up 'early' (9-10 am) which means on those occasions I don't get much sleep. I can't sleep much beyond noon, though, because even though I take him out right before I go to bed, my dog Seamus seems to know what time it is and doesn't approve of layabeds after midday. As for me, too many early days in a row and I get really crotchety myself. I need to average at least 7 hours per night in order not to look and feel like a zombie.

Of course when there is skating from Japan or China the schedule gets all screwed up, I feel horrible, and Seamus gets really out of sorts as well.

25. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Seems many FSUers aren't very good sleepers. :yawn:

If I had a job that required night shifts, I'd be totally fine with it, as long as I am allowed to sleep during the day. I have no problem being up all night but I do need the 7-8 hours afterwards.

26. liv

liv Well-Known Member

I need around 8 hours sleep to feel good, but I usually don't get that. I usually get around 5-7 and wake up a few times.

I used to have to get up really early so i had to go to bed early, but I could rarely fall asleep so I was taking gravol/cold medication/sleepeeze etc., to help with that. I was sick all the time, felt terrible and stressed out. I finally changed jobs and now I usually fall asleep on my own... but I wake up too early (old habit) and can never fall asleep again. But, it's still better than before.

I change my sheets usually every 2 weeks unless it's really hot and I've been sweating at night, if I"m unusually dirty etc.. I do it more often when it's necessary. I would do it weekly, but since it's just me I am pretty lazy. I change my pillow cases much more often, usually every few days, just because of the oils in your hair, on your face, drooling :)

27. moebius

moebius Well-Known Member

Once a month. I only sleep in my bed. No watching tv, reading, or eating in bed. I shower and wash my hair every night. I always shower before I go to bed, so my bed stays clean, not smelly and nasty like those who don't shower before going to bed. I think it's gross that lots of people go to bed without taking a shower, especially after a day of sweat and grime.

28. orientalplane

orientalplane Mad for mangelwurzels

You're very fastidious. And my house hasn't got a shower.

29. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

I'm a natural night owl too. I go for days with little sleep as well and sometimes there are days with none at all. Those can be rough. I don't get tired, really, but do get annoying headaches and generally feel spaced out.

Last night was one night of zero sleep but it was intentional as I am trying to adjust my body clock for a family visit in a time zone two hours ahead and the need to get up in the morning.

I do take medication on occasion, but have to manage that extremely carefully.

30. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

twice a week. if my laundry was not in the basement, i'd do it more