How Many Words Per Minute Can You Type?

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by PeterG, Jul 5, 2013.

1. Gazpacho

Gazpacho Well-Known Member

Which tests are you guy doing on the websites?

2. Nomad

Nomad Well-Known Member

24 on a good day. But I only use two fingers on each hand, so...

3. Andrushka

Andrushka Well-Known Member

56 wpm 0 errors

4. myhoneyhoney

myhoneyhoney Well-Known Member

Did it! 1st time was HORRENDOUS, I didn't see that little box regarding 2 spaces after a period. When did it become customary to start using just one space? Anywhoo, I went back and checked the square, started over, and got 81 with 0 errors.

5. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

The two space after the period only happened when people used manual typewriters in the 20th century and the typeface was courier where every letter and punctuation mark and symbol occupied equal space. This created a sort of aesthetic choice for two spaces after the period. However, with modern word processing and different style fonts, we don't need two spaces after the period anymore. Think about it. When you type on this forum, do you use two spaces after the period? I think even if people use two spaces here, it automatically reverts it to one space. That sort of shows what the "norm" is.

http://www.slate.com/articles/technology/technology/2011/01/space_invaders.html

The APA manual may still recommend two spaces after the period, but those usually only apply to drafts. For publication, one space after the period is standard.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2013
  6. skateboy

skateboy Well-Known Member

I had the exact same experience! (But I dropped the class before I flunked.)

Re this test: I got 50 words with one error (hunting and pecking, of course!).

7. skateboy

skateboy Well-Known Member

Yep, but once I hit "post" all the sentences are changed to just one space after the period. Not sure why.

For my masters thesis and doctoral dissertation (both within this last decade), it was required to use two spaces after periods. So now it's just a force of habit for me, even in e-mails. (I do think it makes for easier reading.)

8. VIETgrlTerifa

I think people stick with what they were forced to learn. In college and graduate schools, we have certain habits hammered into our head and I think we end up learning to be loyal to those habits.

I know for many APA-style submissions, the person you're submitting it to would prefer two spaces after the period, but I think those get edited to one space after the period for publication purposes. For legal writing, we only use one space after the period. When we're learning how to write submissions to the court, we realize that there are stringent requirements about how many characters are allowed to fit in an inch, etc. I think that's because when our Bluebook is silent on something (like spacing after the period), we refer to the Chicago-style manual which says one space.

http://abovethelaw.com/2011/08/a-random-friday-poll-one-space-or-two-between-sentences/

I, for one, first learned to do two spaces when I was in high school, but was taught that it was no longer needed with modern word processing technology. With the bulk of my undergraduate writing using MLA style (even though I was a social science major), I just got used to using one space. I think that's where the norm is with the younger generation hence everything being automatically reverted to one space even if the poster on the forum types two spaces.

9. myhoneyhoney

myhoneyhoney Well-Known Member

I was taught to use 2 spaces in my high-school typing class (circa early 1990's). I just watched myself type up that sentence and I still use 2 spaces after the period. I never really noticed that it was changed to just 1 space after!

10. screech

screech Well-Known Member

I was taught 2 spaces after a period and 1 space after a comma or other punctuation.

I did better on the typingtest website, actually. I got 104wpm with no mistakes. I think I did better because I wasn't looking for mistakes. I wasn't looking at what I had typed, I was l was typing.

I learned to type well in grade 7. We all thought our computers teacher was an evil evil man. To make sure we were using the right keys, he made us put towels over our hands and tested our proficiency at typing without looking at the keyboard. And this was in the early-mid 90s, so not everyone was all that computer savvy at that time, so it was especially evil.

Now I love that he made us do that. I'm one of those people who can carry on a conversation while typing something else.

11. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

I have never been taught anything other than 1 space after a period.

12. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

You're not a dinosaur ;).

I learned the two-space rule in 1972 on a manual typewriter where the letters on the keys were covered.

I haven't understand why tests insist on no corrections since the correcting selectrics have been used for tests: it takes time to correct, and that should reduce speed in itself, leaving a net result.

13. iamawake2

iamawake2 Member

To Anita : You said - My sister used to hunt and peck, until AIM came out...

Can I ask you what AIM is? I'm a hunt and pecker and I'd like to improve.

Anyone have any creative suggestions I'd be open to it - it's hard to break an old habit but I quit smoking so I can do this too! I tried the standard typing class online - but it was so dreary and slow I could not stand it.

14. VIETgrlTerifa

AIM is America Online's Instant messenge program where you can chat with your friends. It was very popular in the late 90s early 2000s.

I think for my generation who went to high school during that period, we all learned how to type (even if not properly) really quickly because of instant messaging. Now it looks like kids are born knowing how to type/text/skype/video edit/etc.

15. Spareoom

Spareoom Well-Known Member

And see, I thought AIM did more to DEGRADE proper typing because kids who had never learned how to properly type would get on a chat and quickly learn that the hunt and peck wasn't fast enough. But instead of teaching themselves how to type faster the correct way, text speak was born. U no, sum1 writing like ths, k? Hooooooley cow, is that annoying.

I credit my ability to type well to Mavis Beacon, lol. As soon as we got our first "real" computer in 1998, my parents made all of us kids take lessons and my dad gave out cash prizes to those who could achieve a certain WPM. I can get a little competitive so I beat his goal twice and got pretty fast in the process. I'm just happy that I learned how to touch type BEFORE I learned what AIM and the Internet was...it's served me very, very well.

16. PRlady

PRlady Smoking

My whole life changed because my high school did not teach typing. In 1978, I tried to get a job on the Hill here in Washington. Never having been taught, I couldn't pass the typing test which girls -- and only girls! -- had to pass to qualify. So, for better or for worse I never did get any Congressional experience.

After I flunked, I bought a typing manual and taught myself. The next job I applied for only required 35 wpm and I (barely) passed. But typing every day for the next several years did its work and within a few years I could type 120 wpm, no mistakes.

Just now I did 90 with one mistake, not bad considering the natural progress of age, I guess.

17. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

Before 10th grade, my high school, which was bursting at the seams, staggered the periods with 11th and 12th graders taking periods 1-7 (8am-2:20pm) and 9th and 10th graders taking periods 2-8 (8:40am-3:10pm). My father insisted that I take all eight periods my sophomore year, so that I could take 8am typing class, because even though I was going to go to college, I needed to be sure I could get a job as a secretary when I graduated.

18. Sofia Alexandra

Sofia Alexandra Well-Known Member

I only use my index fingers when I type, and the left one is on constant shift key duty. :lol: Nevertheless, I can type pretty damn quickly, without errors - but I keep my eyes on the keyboard whilst typing, so having to look up to read the sentences slowed me down something fiercely, and I kept hitting the wrong keys when I wasn't looking. Bah, humbug, I say!

19. Simone411

Simone411 Just Flip-Flopping Around

Well, it's been years since I used a typewriter. The fastest speed for me without any errors was 65 WPM. That was during 1990 to 2004 when I worked for a property management company in Accounting.

20. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

I think typing is also affected by the type of keyboard you use. From my experience desktops tend to have the more raised keyboard, but my laptop that I am using now has a flatter one. I think the laptop is more difficult to use.

And I was taught 2 spaces.

21. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

I remember scoring 120 back on a desktop.

I type weirdly. I use all five fingers on my left hand but only my middle finger on my right, for some reason. I have no idea how this developed.

22. AnnieBgood

AnnieBgood Active Member

Top speller in my class, and awful at typing. 24-30 is my average. I'm afraid to know what it is now.

23. VIETgrlTerifa

I think the text speak and IM slang is a stylistic choice. I grew up typing that way with my friends. However, the typing skills carry over once you start typing in full sentences and use proper grammar and punctuation.

24. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

I type 85 wpm when correcting errors (in other words that is my actual working speed). I hate tests that don't let you correct because I always do automatically and then it counts those as more errors. When in real life can you not correct errors?

I learned to type in 2nd grade, about 1989 or so. I think i technically type v with the wrong hand, becsuse it is usually on the other side of split keyboards. We did 2 spaces after periods then, but by high school compensating fonts had been introduced so went to 1. I just finished 6 years at a dinosaur publisher that used 2 so now I am having to retract myself 1. (The effect now of putting in 2 spaces is that you get 3! Visually annoying. )

25. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

I do about 90. 100+ with familiar material. I used to do entertainment contracts on an old electric and could bang out an 8 pager in about an hour. The gal that replaced me took 4.

26. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

I took typing class in 8th grade. At that time, and through high school on my manual typewriter, I could do 45 wpm. On an electric when I first started temping during and after college, I could do 60ish, and by the time most of the work was on computers I could do 80+. Definitely the equipment makes a difference as well as the amount of practice.

On this test I scored 98 wpm, no errors (backspacing 2 or 3 times to correct). I did feel that I was going very fast, but it was also easy material. I definitely slow down when numbers and special symbols are involved. (89 on the Typingtest.com test)

I recently bought a tablet and had to buy a keyboard to go with it. After all that time invested in developing touch typing skills, I'd hate to be forced back to hunt-and-peck methods.

27. Lilia A

Lilia A Well-Known Member

I got 51 wpm. I'm impressed with those of you who got 70+, nice :)

28. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

I didn't take the test, because I don't type text that I'm copying, and found that the process of reading/typing verbatim slowed me down. I mostly edit or compose text, rarely copy.

Some years I ago I took a typing test for a job and was so nervous that my hands were shaking uncontrollably, and I still scored 45 wpm. So I guess my speed is 80-100 wpm. As the number of typos I make in my posts here and my emails frequently demonstrate I often type too fast.

When I learned to type we had boards over the keys, so we couldn't look. It worked like a charm. Two spaces after a period was the rule because of the different sizes of typewriter-produced letters. So far as I know the rule is now one space, it's a rule I constantly forget.

Don't all kids learn to keyboard in school now?

29. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

77 wpm with 325 errors? Every word must be incorrectly typed. :(

30. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

I can see how that's the case with texting, because I have legitimately tiny fingers (3.25 ring size!) and even I have trouble using a smartphone keyboard. Heck, I'm still using a flip phone so mine's a number pad! Any way I can lessen the time I spend with those things, I'll take it!

But typing entire words and full sentences on a full keyboard is easy enough that it's a stylistic choice.

And my sister always typed in full words and sentences. The only thing we don't do when we chat is use the Shift key. Lower-case doesn't bother us, but misspellings do. :lol:

iamawake2, there's nothing more motivating to a teenager than communicating with her friends. ;)