How Many Words Per Minute Can You Type?

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by PeterG, Jul 5, 2013.

1. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

LynnW and (deleted member) like this.
  2. Andora

Andora Well-Known Member

Last time I tested, I was at 85% with high accuracy; 95 (and sometimes 100+) with less accuracy. I used to be a transcriptionist. :p

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  3. Dr.Siouxs

Dr.Siouxs Well-Known Member

I scored a zero because I quit midway through. I'll just hire a secretary. :2faced:

But really, my typing skills are horrendous. I have to go back and edit about 90% of my posts. :yikes: (ETA: See? :rolleyes:)

Amazing. :eek: Your nickname must be Speedy Petey! :D:psoty: :2faced:

Last edited: Jul 5, 2013
  4. falling_dance

falling_dance ToT Thread For Sale

I just assumed you relied quills, inkwells, and magical hipster conversion technology.

60 words per minute is beyond my capabilities.

5. Dr.Siouxs

Dr.Siouxs Well-Known Member

Nah, out of budget.

6. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

I got 98 words per minute with 0 errors. I think the last time I did this it was slightly lower though, but it may have been with a different website.

7. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

95 words per minute with no errors, but I believe I had to back space like 3 times.

8. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

Haven't done a typing test for ages. Got 62wpm with no errors, but I did go back and correct quite a bit.

9. Spazactaz

Spazactaz New Member

I got 89

10. BaileyCatts

BaileyCatts Well-Known Member

95 words with 0 errors. But I did backspace to correct an error. That's a fun test. But I want to read the rest of the story! :lol:

11. Kasey

Kasey Loving on babies!

83 words per minute, no errors (but I slow down significantly if I have to include numbers)

12. Spareoom

Spareoom Well-Known Member

117, adjusted with 112. That's a bit faster than I thought; but I type a lot. My composing speed is more around 50 wpm or so; transcribing (especially with the words right there; which is easy) is a lot faster.

13. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

:rofl: at my score. I took typing in high school and it was the only class I've ever flunked. Took an adult community college class and was asked to leave (they gave me my money back) and the only way I managed 25 words a minute when I joined the Air Force was that they let me practice the paragraph over and over before they actually timed me. Its sad.

14. Really

Really No longer just a "well-known member" Yay!

72 wpm, no errors. I used to get that on a manual typewriter when I was in Grade 10! But I couldn't backspace to correct my mistakes back then either. I stuttered a few times while I was doing the test so I'm sure that cost me some words too.

15. quartz

quartz I wonder what tomorrow has in mind for me

Wow, you are all amazing!!
    I won't even attempt such a test.....I flunked typing in grade 9 cuz I thought the teacher was a bitch, and so now I'm the two finger, hunt and peck type of typer! :lol:
    This just took me like 2 minutes to type.....:p
    I am a doofus.

16. moebius

moebius Well-Known Member

I took a typing test on a typewriter, and it was 35wpm, barely enough for a secretary job.

17. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

My father still pecks with two index fingers, and he's been a computer programmer longer than I've been alive. :lol: He got a computer science PhD back when there were only 50 or so in the entire country.

He says he spends most of his time thinking. ;) Typing speed only matters if you're doing secretary work or transcribing work.

My sister used to hunt and peck, until AIM came out and she'd be chatting with 5 friends while writing a paper. Her typing improved to lightning speed very shortly after. :rofl: She types faster than me, and I just got 87wpm on that test.

18. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Way back in the dark ages when my high school offered "secretarial skills" course, I took typing for the simple reason that I wanted at least one class with no homework. I did only average in it, so it dragged down my grade average, but I was happy to take it for two years just for the break.

Boy oh boy am I glad I did, even if for the wrong reasons at the time - I had no idea then, and I don't think many did, that typing skills would become so important for just about everyone in the near future.

Glad I didn't choose shorthand classes instead!

19. JeffClair1979

JeffClair1979 Active Member

Just got 89 WPM with 1 error. A lot better than I thought it would be!!

20. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

70 wpm. I'm slipping :fragile:

21. Prancer

Prancer Dysteleological Staff Member

Geez. 40 wpm is average. Y'all are speed demons.

22. Scrufflet

Scrufflet Active Member

Woah! This takes me back! When I was in high school, we used manual typewriters (think very slow) and getting 35 wpm was basic level, 60 wpm was what you aimed for to get a job. If you had 80 wpm, you were stellar and executive secretary material. My mother was a national typing champion who did about 120 wpm and they wouldn't let her compete at the Canadian National Exhibition because they said she was too fast! When she applied for jobs in our town, she would have to take a typing test (to see if she could do 60 wpm) and she would always leave them gasping when she'd do 100 wpm. "I used to be much faster" was her comment afterwards. All that on manual typewriters!

23. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

I dispute that test. I clocked in at 87 wpm (0 errors)??? I typed 40-45 in high school & college, and I can't believe that I've improved THAT much since then. I'll have to find another test.

Typingtest.com got me at (adjusted) 56 wpm.

I think the difficulty of the material makes a big difference. Typingtest.com had some actual, y'know, punctuation, capitalization, dashes, quotation marks, etc.

24. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

52 wpm, 1 error. Must be all the practice on FSU during pbp threads. :D

25. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

I got 98 on the test offered here and 91 on typingtest.com. Typingtest.com is definitely harder, but I think part of that is that the first place highlights the text as you type it and typingtest.com shows it below, so if you make an error it can take longer to catch it and fix it.

26. Gazpacho

Gazpacho Well-Known Member

On typeracer.com, my best is 140wpm. But honestly, I do not recommend it. Sometimes I regret having the ability to type so fast because it's caused RSI. Yeah I try to type more slowly, but inevitably I end up typing fast because I often don't feel the pain until I stop.

Will try the test on this thread soon.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2013
  27. modern_muslimah

modern_muslimah Thinking of witty user title and coming up blank

I got 44 wpm on typingtest.com. That sounds about right. I applied for a secretary position a few years back and typed 48 wpm. I'm amazed so many of you type so fast!

28. skateycat

skateycat Minecraft Widow

Wow, no wonder I only have 1300ish posts here after more than a decade. I type at a sluggish 40 words per minute on a good day. Thank goodness I took typing in high school, or I would be hopeless.

Little skateycat struggles with printing so much that we have investigated typing as a different way of writing. We got him Typing Instructor for Kids, and I will sit with him or near him to help him get through the lesson. He's up to 10 words a minute, up from 13 characters a minute (I counted one day!). This year he did parts of his spelling assignments in Microsoft Word, and he actually said that it made him happy to do his homework that way.

29. screech

screech Well-Known Member

100 words with 3 errors. I don't really count errors though, because of autocorrect. Plus, I was taught to leave 2 spaces after a period, and the program that tests only has one.

30. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

There's an option to have two spaces after the period.