How Many People Do You Exchange Holiday Gifts With?

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by PeterG, Dec 4, 2012.

How Many People Do You Exchange Gifts With During The Holidays?

1. Zero

16 vote(s)
    18.6%
  2. One

3 vote(s)
    3.5%
  3. Two

2 vote(s)
    2.3%
  4. Three

6 vote(s)
    7.0%
  5. Four

3 vote(s)
    3.5%
  6. Five

7 vote(s)
    8.1%
  7. Six

8 vote(s)
    9.3%
  8. Seven

3 vote(s)
    3.5%
  9. Eight

4 vote(s)
    4.7%
  10. Nine

4 vote(s)
    4.7%
  11. Ten to Twenty

23 vote(s)
    26.7%
  12. Twenty or More

7 vote(s)
    8.1%
  1. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

I've been waiting many months to ask this question. :lol: Wanted to wait 'til we were close to the holidays...and we certainly are now! The city/town I live in is not that big (about 70,000) and it has just a few small malls for shopping. But the other day, the parking lot of the mall closest to me was packed. We've got over three weeks until Christmas! (By the way, I'm trying to be generic with this thread, so the poll, etc. is meant for any and all holidays/celebrations of this time of year.) The other mall is even more crowded. It's crazy! So many people, buying, buying, buying. So I wanted to do a poll and see what things are like for others. In my family, we stopped exchanging presents somewhere around 15 to 20 years ago. Partly because the extended family was too large and partly because everybody was starting their own familes. We did the "one gift" exchange for a while before that, where everyone's name was put in a hat and everbody picked out one name and then bought a gift for that person. Anyway, I haven't done gift exchanges with anybody for over a decade. So my holiday shopping is always done!! :lol: I love it this way. :D It's much more relaxed when we get together for dinner and it's just about the people. And the food. :)

So the poll question is, how many people do you exchange gifts with during the holiday season? Anything else you wanna share or talk about is cool as well. Happy holidays!

halffull and (deleted member) like this.
  2. Angelskates

Angelskates Well-Known Member

I have mum, step-dad, eldest sister and nephew who I get something "big" (my sister and I are going to see Cirque du Soleil with VIP tickets while I am home, I got my nephew a polaroid camera kit, and have no idea for the other two still!). I buy gifts for my dad and brother-in-law as well. I usually don't buy gifts for friends anymore, the ones in Beijing, we have a party, and the ones home, we catch up for a meal. My closest friends and I have agreed that we don't buy Christmas gifts, and instead we buy things during the year "just because". I like this much better as it takes the pressure off! The major gifts I buy are experiences and usually include me, since I'm only home once a year. Last year I gave my sister a session swimming in the sea with dolphins (and me!) and it was awesome! I went to see 'A Chorus Line' with mum, and went to the movies "first class" with my stepdad.

3. DAngel

DAngel Active Member

I don't celebrate Christmas... :)

4. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Not many admittedly but I am fine with that because too much holiday shopping is such a hassle. And I have finished all my shopping already. :D

5. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

Just a few in the family for Chanukah.

6. vesperholly

vesperholly Well-Known Member

Parents, siblings and their significant others, my nephew, my two cousins and uncle (and my late aunt before she died) as our fams grew up together and are close, my best friend, her husband and their son. I like crafts, so I make small presents for my coworkers. Last year it was ornaments and this year it's going to be candy cane vodka. :saint:

My immediate family is going on a cruise in March, so we have all forgone presents this year in order to save for the cruise. Since they are the bulk of my gift-giving, it's been very pleasant to be removed from the rat race.

7. BaileyCatts

BaileyCatts Well-Known Member

As of 2010 .... none. I'm done giving presents. Never really did with anyone but my family anyway, but I'm sick of wasting money on stupid crap little joke presents, which is mostly what we ever did, and getting the like in return. I have too much crap now, even after giving 1/2 of everything I own away to make room in my house for my mom to move in. I don't want any more crap. Bah Humbug. :p

I take my mom out to dinner at a nice place (and for us, nice place means like Lone Star :lol:), but that's it. I'm done buying presents for my 50 years older siblings. I hate them anyway. :blah:

8. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

1 at most, for Mr. Japanfan. My family doesn't celebrate Christmas really - at least not between us three siblings - and Mr. Japanfan's family decided to stop buying gifts some time ago.

To me it mostly seems a lot of stress and wasted money. Year after year people try to come up with gift ideas and a ton of money is wasted on stuff people don't want. Breadmakers and espresso makers and the like abound at Value Village after Christmas - fortunately for those of us who drink express coffee.

I do like to buy gifts for birthdays or take friend/family member out, but that's enough.

One word of advice: women have way too much hand creme. Is it just me, or is hand creme one of the most overly purchased inexpensive gifts. A friend just gave me some for my recent birthday and I fortunately was able to regift it. I've still got several tubes of hand creme from previous gifts lying around.

9. NeilJLeonard

NeilJLeonard Well-Known Member

Much the same. The wife & I get stuff for the grandchildren. That's pretty much it.

NJL (...will have to get one more in 2013...son & DIL are expecting #4 in April/May 2013....one more ticket for our next family trip to WDW & Universal Studios....;)...)

10. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

17. 9 on my side, 7 on my husband's side and DH. Of those 18, we do serious shopping for only the youngest kids and each other. Everyone else gets something from their Amazon wish list or a check along with a token gift to open.

11. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

I clicked on six. But it is really eight. I can't count. :lol:

They are my husband, all four of our parents, his sister, my brother, and my nephew. We only spend about $15-20 per person and there is always a lot of communication among everyone about what each person really wants or needs. No stupid joke gifts, no useless crap. My parents and his parents tend to spend a bit more on everyone. And my husband and I spend a bit more on each other.

12. Habs

Habs Well-Known Member

I buy for Mr. Habs, my mom, dad, brother and Mr. Habs's sister (but I'd rather not buy for her....). Mr. Habs looks after gifts for his parents.

I stopped exchanging gifts with friends a few years ago, or tried to. I have one friend that no matter how often I say we should stop sending gifts, sends me something anyway. Last year I didn't reciprocate (just a thank you), and she actually called to ask if my gift to her had been lost in the mail. :eek:

13. duane

duane New Member

My number comes to 10. Dad, stepmom, uncle, two nephews, niece, brother, his girlfriend, and a family friend. The rest of the immediate family and several cousins pull names and you buy that person a $50 - $100 gift.

I end up spending a pretty penny overall.

14. TheGirlCanSkate

TheGirlCanSkate Active Member

I give to my kids, the younger's class teacher(not sure what yet)+coach (letting my daughter pick something out on her OWN this year-I think she will get him a remote control car or helicopter*rolls eyes*)+school office (platter of home baked cookies)+skate office (probably cookies or bagels)+piano teacher (box of See's candy).

15. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

You're so mean. I used the word "holiday" over and over again and Christmas only once. I tried so hard to be inclusive!!! :wuzrobbed :drama:

16. Habs

Habs Well-Known Member

You're so misunderstood and unappreciated. (((PeterG)))

17. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

About 25 or so, but a third of the list gets liquor and another third gets toys or gift cards. So the actual thinking/shopping is for about a third of my list.

18. aliceanne

aliceanne Well-Known Member

I'll be spending Christmas with a sister and 3 nieces. We are all grown and have jobs so we can pretty much buy ourselves whatever we want. We usually exchange our favorite movies or music for the others to try. Homemade baked goods, homemade CD's, gag gifts, thrift shop finds, or practical stuff like gloves and lotion are the norm. None of us need more stuff in our homes. We prefer stuff we can consume or easily recycle. We do enjoy opening gifts though.

As far as work is concerned we do the White elephant exchange and there is a dollar limit. I could do without it but some of my co-workers really enjoy it and it only involves buying one gift.

I don't exchange gifts with relatives or friends I don't spend Christmas day with, just cards and phone calls.
    I do get a gift for my hairdresser because she enjoys it so much, but she is happy with anything.
    Everyone I buy gifts for is more than happy with a bottle of wine, so I don't have to wrack my brains unless I want to.

19. JasperBoy

JasperBoy Heading for Helsinki

Mother, husband, daughter, 2 grandkids. Oh, dog and cat, too. that's 7. Mr JB and I often get something we both want, often in the electronics line. (Nespresso this year)

The list is short, and I enjoy finding the right thing for the people I love. If I had to shop for great aunt Susan, I would quickly cut her off!

20. DarrellH

DarrellH New Member

Three. My best friend and I exchange, and Mom and Sis.

21. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

None. I'm glad I don't have to deal with the hassle of Xmas shopping anymore, although I do enjoy strolling through the stores during the holidays.

22. aliceanne

aliceanne Well-Known Member

Send all that hand cream to me! I get dry skin in the winter.

I'm fine with re-gifting. I figure if I didn't get someone something they wanted, at least I saved them a trip to the mall. The joy is in being remembered at Christmas, if you make gift giving an obligation or feel obligated to reciprocate it isn't the same. Do something else to show your love and appreciation.

23. jamesy

jamesy wind up merchant

Way too many. My siblings need to stop breeding. :drama:

24. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

get them condoms

25. Twilight1

Twilight1 Well-Known Member

Husband, mil, fil, stepdad, cousin, bil, 4 nieces,aunt, a 2ndcousin, 2 nephews, 6 friends so 20 total

26. numbers123

numbers123 Well-Known Member

My immediate family and our parents. Husband and I don't get each other gifts (that is our gift to each other :) )
    Son and dil, granddaughters x2 and grandson
    Son and dil
    Son and grandson
    Donation in my parents name to Heifer International
    My husband's father
    And small gift to 4 of my friends (usually under $5.00)

27. mikey

mikey ...an acquired taste

One. I can't stand the hassle and "obligation" to give gifts, many of which are pretty meaningless. One or two special gifts to the main person in my life, and then I am done with it all...

28. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

22. That doesn't include the odd cash to some folk - postman, etc. I absolutely don't expect a gift in return from any of them but enjoy when it happens, think nothing of it when it doesn't.

I don't usually have any hassle since I buy year round. If I'm in a shop and see something that I know Anne would like I get it then - malls and Christmas week shopping are anathema to me. :scream:

aliceanne and (deleted member) like this.
  29. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

I used to shop year round. But now I rarely have any money and have to get my husband to pay. And he doesn't get the year round Christmas shopping thing. What I really can't stand is when he sees something that would be a good Christmas gift for someone and says "we should remember that at Christmas time" to which I inevitably say "or we should just buy it now".

I enjoy giving gifts. It kind of bothers me that that is increasingly considered wrong and frivolous. What is happening in our society that so many have decided that other people being kind and generous to them is something bad?

30. JasperBoy

JasperBoy Heading for Helsinki

Okay, here is where I am taking a chance on being flamed. What about tips of cash to various people? Letter carriers for example? Or teachers?
    My criteria is this....if they belong to a union they shouldn't need a tip. Similarly, the person is a professional or owns their own business. For the most part these are well paid people who do not need tips to reward them for doing their jobs. That is built into their pay scale.

OTOH, I agree with giving a cash gift for special service to anyone receiving the minimum wage, or depending on tips on a daily basis.

This goes back to idea of Boxing Day, when the Lord of the Manor dispensed boxes containing cash bonuses to his staff who gave him personal service during the year. It now implies a servile dependency that doesn't really sit well in this era.