How many musicians have recorded "Halleuluah"?

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Aussie Willy, Jun 29, 2011.

1. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

I think this song must be the most over recorded song of all time.

With Michael Bolton's latest "musical" offering, he has done it. That is the bottom of the barrel.

It seems as if anyone who has some kind of recording contract thinks at some stage they must record it. And that it will give them some kind of musical credibility.

Yes there are some good versions. Jeff Buckley probably started it all and his is pretty good. kd lang kind of goes without saying. Maybe we should blame Shrek.

Weird Al doing a cover of it might make it interesting again (has he done one?).

2. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

I don't know what the tally is ... but in an interview not that long ago Leonard Cohen himself said "enough already." Well, technically he said

"I was happy that the song was being used, of course. There were certain ironic and amusing sidebars, because the record that it came from which was called Various Positions - [a] record Sony wouldn't put out. They didn't think it was good enough. It had songs like Dancing to the End of Love, Hallelujah, If It Be Your Will. So there was a mild sense of revenge that arose in my heart. But I was just reading a review of a movie called Watchmen that uses it, and the reviewer said "Can we please have a moratorium on Hallelujah in movies and television shows?" And I kind of feel the same way. I think it's a good song, but I think too many people sing it."

I personally love the kd lang version, and the Jeff Buckley version is okay too, but I gotta agree: enough already!

3. marbri

marbri Hey, Kool-Aid!

Love the kd lang version, she gets close to the emotion and feeling Cohen has when he sings it.

4. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

Plus she can, you know, sing. :slinkaway

Seriously though ... while sometimes I'm in the mood for his unique gravelly voice, I admire him far more as a songwriter/poet than as a singer.

5. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

Looks like there are at least 100 versions on iTunes. Some that come up if you search the title are other songs.

There are piano versions. Live versions. Blues versions. Gospel versions.

Artists include Cohen, Buckley and Lang. But also Susan Boyle, Neil Diamond, Willie Nelson, Rufus Wainwright and Celtic Thunder.

6. Kasey

Kasey Loving on babies!

I think Lang's and Buckley's versions are iconic. Everyone else can go buh-bye...

7. KikiSashaFan

KikiSashaFan Well-Known Member

^What she said.

8. Amy L

Amy L Well-Known Member

I think "Yesterday" actually got into the Guinness Book of world records for the most covered pop song, but it's over 45 years old at this point. I am sure "Hallelujah" will catch up to it very soon!

9. Parsley Sage

Parsley Sage Well-Known Member

kd lang's is my favourite.

and of course, not a musician but Claude Lemieux recorded it for Battle of the Blades in season 1.

10. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

From wikipedia:

:eek: Over 80 verses for one song? I wonder if anyone has recorded the full version of the song... Mr. Bolton...are you up to it? :yikes: :scream:

11. Aussie Willy

I so hope not. :scream:

How long would it take to perform all 80 versions?

I suppose it would be a bit like doing the whole of Hamlet (that Kenneth Branagh did quite a few years ago).

12. reckless

reckless Well-Known Member

13. Matryeshka

Matryeshka Well-Known Member

It is a little much, but when I was a wee young snarker and had delusions of singing stardom, I had plans of covering that song. It was going to be awesome. Acapella gospel choir which would lead into an epic guitar solo--played by Slash of course, nothing but the best for moi. He would be happy to do it, nay, BEG to do it.

It's one of those songs that I think touches a lot of people in a lot of different ways. you can hear a different meaning in it everytime you hear it. I agree it's a lot, but I love singing this song so I get why so many others do as well. :)

14. mashenka82

mashenka82 New Member

I absolutely love this song and thought it's interesting that its use in Watchmen came up because I thought it was such a great addition to the movie (a movie which I really liked and thoroughly enjoyed the soundtrack to). So to me while it does seem to pop up as a cover by a lot of artists, in this instance it was well used!

15. Civic

Civic New Member

Which version did The West Wing use during the episode where Zoe was kidnapped?

16. Amy L

Amy L Well-Known Member

Jeff Buckley's, I think. Though I thought it was the ep where CJ'S Secret Service kinda boyfriend got shot?

17. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

I like Imogene Heaps acapella version

18. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

:lol: 80 verses, not versions. :D

19. Ozzisk8tr

Ozzisk8tr Well-Known Member

Obviously that's the extended mix. Some British girl who won X factor or Britains Got Talent did it a few years ago. I remember hearing it and thinking she actually did it justice. Obviously not up to the original or K.D's version, but it was pretty good. I thought so anyway.

20. allezfred

allezfred Old and Immature Admin Staff Member

Alexandra Burke

It's my favourite version of the song. :shuffle:

21. ChelleC

ChelleC Well-Known Member

Yes, it was the episode where the Secret Service Agent was shot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxX-woxYZ84

22. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

I'd like to get every master recording and set them on fire....

23. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

I really want a weird al version now...

24. Veronika

Veronika gold dust woman

I'm just glad that Jeff Buckley's cover has made him even more popular...he was a great talent and his album (Grace) is a work of art. :)

25. Aussie Willy

Actually it is a bit like overused skating music. Every skater probably dreams of skating to the current trend of the day. Same with certain pieces of music - every singer thinks they have to sing it.

However not everyone wants to hear it ad infinitum.

26. mmmmss345

mmmmss345 New Member

Too many, I think this is a music that must be deserved, not sung like any other. To me, only Leonard Cohen, k d lang and Jeff Buckley are good enough.