How many have broken bones skating?

Discussion in 'Moves In The Field' started by treesprite, Mar 25, 2014.

1. Messalina

Messalina Sabre-rattler

Oh no! I'm so sorry to hear this. I hope your recovery is swift. Don't doubt yourself too much. Freak accidents can happen. It does not necessarily have to mean that there is something wrong with your center of balance. :)

2. clairecloutier

clairecloutier Well-Known Member

Thanks Messalina :) My recovery is going okay so far, I may have surgery this week or next. Hopefully all will heal well.

3. Debbie S

Debbie S Well-Known Member

(((clairecloutier))) I hope the surgery goes well and you have as quick a recovery as possible!

4. ryanbfan

ryanbfan New Member

A.
    1. My lower spine
    2. Mohawks. I was trying too hard to turn out and my feet slipped out from under me. It hurt just like any other fall, but a few days later when I was still hurting like I just fell, I knew I needed to go to the doctor :\
    3. Physical Therapy
    4. I was told to take a month off and I had 0 idea what to do with myself, it made me value skating
    5. I used to have a lot of pain in my lower back when I skated and danced, but I've been skating/dancing pain free for the past 2 months :)
    6. I try not to fall on my butt anymore

B.
    1. Sprained Wrist, twice
    2. Falling the wrong way :eek:
    3. Ice, keeping my wrist wrapped (which I only did for about a week)
    4. It didn't
    5. I haven't had any pain in my wrist for a month
    6. Fall the correct way. Haha

I'm really glad none of my injuries required surgery. Some of yours sound incredibly painful!

5. clairecloutier

Thanks!!

6. Skatingisfun1

Skatingisfun1 New Member

Wrist bone on a single toe loop jump gone freaky wrong.
    Treatment - none. I got off the ice . I borrowed my sister's wrist brace for about a month. Never went to a doctor.
    Years later, had a hand issue and went to a hand doctor. He x-rayed and then asked, "When did you break your wrist?"

Always hated toe loops as alone jumps since. I can deal with them if they are in a combination jump.

7. Doubletoe

Doubletoe Well-Known Member

In a total of 17 years of skating, I have never broken a bone. I am female, age 49 and I started skating at age 27 (I didn't count the 5 years I stopped skating between 32 and 37). I have competed for 11 years, land axels and used to land double salchows and double toeloops (and attempt double loops). I've only been to the emergency room twice from skating accidents and both have been for a few stitches--once from falling backward and hitting my head and once from falling forward and hitting my chin.

8. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

Oh good, no newly broken bones. I was afraid there might be when I saw this thread back at the top.

9. Skatingisfun1

Skatingisfun1 New Member

Total of about 10 years of skating, and I broke a wrist bone.

10. clairecloutier

Previously reported--I broke my wrist skating back in late April.

Status update . . . My break was a bad one. The wrist was broken in 5 or 6 different places, with bone fragments. Surgery was recommended. I had that in early May, then 4 weeks' light cast and wrist brace. I then rehabbed it 1-2 times/wk w/occupational therapist. The last step is using a device she recommended that will stretch the wrist for best mobility.

The surgeon has cleared me to skate again now. I'm eager to get back out there, despite what happened, and have been thinking about it every day. I plan to restart either this month, or in January (when we get into a new year on our FSA). The injury cost us a lot, between medical expenses and babysitting help that had to be hired when I could not drive safely. So I'm just nervous about the possibility of any further injury/expense before year's end.

I'm really looking forward to getting back, but I don't know how much I'll be able to do. The injury happened on a spin, and I've had trouble with wobbly, uncentered spins. My PCP suggested a possible inner ear problem due to sinus/rhinitis issues. And the surgeon recommended I wait to try spins again until "later, maybe next season." !!

11. Casey

Casey New Member

A.
    1. Fractured right wrist
    2. It got between my hip bone and the ice in a nasty fall
    3. Wrist splint thingy from the pharmacy, and a lot of time (was poor with no insurance, spending all money on skating)
    4. Got right back on the ice, didn't let it phase me.
    5. No, took six months or more to be free of pains, but it healed completely on its own.
    6. No, I learn from hard lessons.

B.
    1. Broken right ring finger
    2. Caught on an uneven top of the boards, bent back and sideways way too far.
    3. Bent it back into place and splinted it myself, started healing pretty well but bumped it looks after several days, so it healed slightly bent.
    4. Got right back on the ice with it healing in a homemade splint. What's more important than skating??
    5. No.
    6. No.

C.
    1. Shin/heel severe pain issues ;P
    2. Graf Edmonton Specials.
    3. Bunga pads, then Klingbeils
    4. I was kind of depressed because I felt my feet were failing me, I wanted to skate but had a lot of pain issues. I didn't know to blame the boots until they started falling apart and I finally decided to order customs. It was a bigger deal than it should have been.
    5. No.
    6. I research and buy the best equipment I can.

12. Moto Guzzi

Moto Guzzi Well-Known Member

I broke both bones in my left wrist at the end of September. I wasn't doing anything in particular and didn't catch an edge or trip. It was one of those surprise falls where one minute I was up and then I was down. I knew immediately that I had broken my wrist. I also hit my head and hurt my back. I'm still in a channel cast from fingers to above elbow but will get a shorter cast on Friday. So far, my medical bills are around $5,000 with about 90% paid by insurance.

I am undecided about skating again. I enjoyed it but, after taking a 5-year break, my skills had deteriorated considerably. I found myself afraid to do many things for fear of falling and hurting myself, and this break makes me even more fearful.

13. clairecloutier

Sorry to hear of your broken wrist, Moto Guzzi. I hope your recovery goes well.

I definitely share your hesitation about skating again. I'm still not back on the ice following my late-April broken wrist. My plan is to start again in January. Your accident sounds a lot like mine in that there wasn't even an obvious cause for it. And that just leaves you wondering how to avoid such an accident again. It's not like you can say, "Well, I'll just slow down on that element" or whatever. I am looking forward to skating again, but I have a feeling I'll probably be nervous once I'm actually on the ice.

The financial aspect is another thing. My accident cost us probably $2000 out of pocket. Enough to definitely make me think twice about continuing.

14. Moto Guzzi

Moto Guzzi Well-Known Member

Thanks, claireclouthier. Your break was worse than mine; I haven't had to have surgery. Even more than the financial aspect of an injury, I worry about taking care of myself if I have another injury. I live alone and it's been a struggle doing a lot of things with my arm in a cast. The week before I broke my wrist, a coach at another rink broke both wrists. I feel very fortunate that my injury wasn't that bad in comparison.

Good luck with your skating when, and if, you go back. Somebody suggested I get wrist guards. I think hockey pads or a bubble wrap suit might be necessary to help me with my fear of falling.

clairecloutier likes this.
  15. Casey

Casey New Member

Please don't think twice, just keep skating! I can relate as I stopped for more than five years myself and am just now getting back into it. Had my first really painful fall this morning which is still a literal pain in my butt! Just keep your hands up if you fall and keep at it to rebuild your stamina and strength! I wish I hadn't stopped for as long or at all but eh, it's better than stopping longer or for good. I hope you can get past any fears and stay at it - good luck!

Moto Guzzi likes this.