How many have broken bones skating?

Discussion in 'Moves In The Field' started by treesprite, Mar 25, 2014.

1. treesprite

treesprite Member

I would like to know how many of us have broken bones (or other serious injury) as a result of skating, including:
    1. which bone(s)/body part(s)
    2. how they were broken/injured
    3. type of treatment
    4. how it affected your thoughts/feelings about skating
    5. whether you have remaining physical damage from the injury which makes skating more difficult
    6. if there are precautions you take now that you didn't before the injury

A.
    1. Spiral fractures of right tibia (about where top of boot is), and fibula
    2. I was just standing still when suddenly my foot turned causing me to fall on a twisted leg.
    3. Surgery, metal plate, surgery to remove metal plate a year later, 2 rounds of PT
    4. I developed a severe phobia when I initially tried to return to skating, so after a year of that, I took 4 years off to start again a couple years ago. The phobia-level fear is gone, though I'm apprehensive and refuse to push myself (not going to the Olympics anyway).
    5. I have some permanent damage because of surgeries, the worse of which is pronation plus difficulty controlling my right foot, so RFOE, RBOE, RFX and RBX are difficult (moving my blade to the inside has helped to some extent but not completely).
    6. The only way to keep from falling by a foot turning while standing still, is to not stand still. Since I sometimes must stand still (like during lessons), all I can do as a precaution is to constantly think about my feet when a situation requires that I stand in one spot.

B.
    1. Broken left wrist (broken radius right at the top)
    2. I think the back of my blade caught the ice, and because the direction of the fall would have made me hit my head on the side boards, I turned sideways at the last second... I guess my arm/hand was in the way.
    3. Standard cast and a round of PT
    4. I was very relieved that I didn't hit my head on the boards, so while I knew immediately that the wrist was broken, I wasn't upset at the time. I was back on the ice several days later (not doing much, but still).
    5. After all these months there is still pain, which my dr claims is normal for this type of injury. It only affects skating in that I can't bear weight on it without pain, so if I fall I will have trouble getting back up. Things besides skating are affected, but we are only talking skating.
    6. I wear wrist guards now, and try to not be so close to the side boards that I would hit my head on them if I were to fall.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2014
  2. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

I broke a rib and my tailbone. The treatment for both was "rest". They taped the rib. The tailbone was a freak accident where I was standing still, and then I wasn't. The rib was from falling on a spiral. I don't think either had effect on my skating, because I am already over-cautious because of breaking my neck (unrelated to skating). I consider it a triumph that I went from "may not walk again" to ice skating- but am still terrified of something happening...

The injuries that had a much larger effect on my skating was my labral tear (I cannot do spirals at all anymore, making further work on MITF tests impossible, and I had good spirals- boo!)- and although I can usually control the pain, if I flare up the injury, I often cannot bear weight on it off ice, which obviously takes me off ice too. This has cost me a small fortune in PT over the past few years. But since it is usually not painful, is not worth risking surgery.

Spraining my wrist (did not break, but severe sprain) also was very difficult on me. This injury also made work and school very difficult, since it was my dominate hand and it was a long time before I had any useful range of motion. It didn't really effect my skating long term though. In the short term, it took me off the ice for way too much time before a test (I had to test in the brace, which sucked because it throws off spins)- and I learned that I have to tie my own skates. I tried to return to the ice before I could do that, and have DH tie them, but that did NOT work.

I've also been sent off the ice for months and back to PT several time with knee and IT band issues, but not bones.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2014
  3. purple skates

purple skates Shadow dancing

No officially broken bones in 20+ years of skating (axels and doubles for part of them). A couple of sprains (knee and ankle) and a possible cracked tailbone, but that was from trying to do a spin on roller skates. A possible hairline fracture in my thumb from trying to do a twizzle in hockey skates (notice a trend here :rolleyes:) but I never had it checked out by a doc. Oh, and a nice chunk out of my kneecap, but I really don't know how that happened. It might have been from skating, but I can't pinpoint an incident.

PT for various muscle injuries and strains, but nothing long lasting.

No affect on my feelings about skating. Comes with the territory. :shrug: Although, I will admit that now that I am pushing 50, I am not as fearless as I used to be.

4. treesprite

treesprite Member

I edited the original post so other types of serious injuries (besides broken bones) can be included.

5. misskarne

misskarne #ForzaJules #KeepFightingMichael

I've never broken anything, ever, in any situation.

I did crack a bone in my ankle when I fell down two steps just over a year ago. But the crack was inside the actual bone, so I don't count it as broken.

I've sprained and strained a few ligaments. The worst was probably my shoulder sprain two years ago. I still have a mental block on forward crossovers as a result.

6. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

I broke my tailbone. Like Skittl1321, I don't know how it happened. One second I was spinning and the next second I was flat on my back on the ice. No memory of anything in between. Had to sit on a donut cushion for a while and had twinges at the bottom of my spine when I got up after sitting for a long time, but those went away with time.

I also had a minor concussion (although it didn't feel like minor at the time) when I was practicing my sit spin a week before adult nationals, and while trying to get lower to the ice, sat too far back on my blade. The sensation of the back of my head bouncing off the ice is something I would really never like to experience again. A few minutes on the hockey bench and some ice at home took care of the ache, and I haven't had any lasting effects other than some fear of sit spins.

7. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

overedge- at least you were spinning. I was literally standing still waiting for the Dutch Waltz to start.

I've only hit my head once, and I luckily hit really hard on my shoulders with my head tucked, so my head hit secondary, after the fall was done. Horrible back pain for a few weeks, but thankfully no head injury.

8. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

Concussion, torn meniscus on my right knee and four injuries within my left hip. With the concussion I went to hospital because my head was bleeding, but I didn't need anything except of bed rest. With the knee injury and hip injuries I needed surgeries.

9. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

Not while skating, but skiing -or not skiing well to be more accurate.
    Completely tore my ACL, 2-3 (on a scale of 3) MCL tear and tore some of my meniscus on my right knee. I chose to rehab the MCL and then have surgery on the ACL instead of doing surgery on both at the same time. Knee still hurts, especially if I do lots of run throughs in the same week, but it's manageable. It definitely doesn't like to pull out of short landings, so I definitely know when a jump is cheated. I'm somehow scared of my axel take off now, so I'll go through months of riding the LFO and not taking off. Then they'll be fine for a few weeks and just when I think I'm making progress, go back to abject fear :wall:

10. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

Ow, ioana. ACL tears are incredibly common in skiers.

A.
    1. Bimalleolar fracture of the left ankle.
    2. Was just dinking around. Toepick got caught--so the toe stayed and the rest of me keeled over.
    3. Got plates & screws in both sides of the ankle. On crutches/cart for 6 weeks and then gradually back to walking. PT for 4 weeks (?). Hardware removed when it HUUUUUUURRRRTTT and I also ended up needing a fasciotomy since my calf would cramp up incredibly painfully after about 10 minutes of skating.
    4. I was scared to get back on the ice for sure, and terribly naive. At 37 it was the first broken bone I'd ever experienced (after years of competitive ski racing, gymnastics and a few seasons of diving even) so I was ill prepared for the strange sensations. Thankfully people had recommended the PT which made a HUGE difference in my regaining strength and range of motion.
    5. Once the hardware was removed I had no issues. That ankle feels more solid than ever.
    6. I taped the ankle for a while but haven't had any problems so haven’t taken any precautions. This was back in 2007, I think.

B.
    1. nondisplaced fracture of the right tibia. Fall 2010.
    2. Forward power pulls. I just lost my balance and my whole body fell onto my right leg (nonskating leg).
    3. Because it was essentially a crack, and probably a sprain as well, and the joint was stable, so I was just off the ice for like 3 months. I did go get some PT, as I felt the extra tools that the PT had (tissue scraping, ultrasound) would do things that simple stretching and strengthening exercises couldn’t.
    4. I was patient about getting back on the ice and not overdoing it—but still twisted the dang thing at least once. Taped most of the time but not always.
    5. and 6. See C.

C.
    1. Another nondisplaced fracture of the right tibia—May 2012. Only this time, the joint wasn’t stable. Some torn or stretched ligaments.
    2. EVILLE BRACKETS. OF course I had no idea what I was doing and I should have still been at the “doing them on two feet” stage but whatever. I’m just really, really adept at getting off balance and making my blades work for me in all the wrong ways.
    3. Week and a half after the injury, surgery. Plates and screws.
    4. I have been back on the ice only a few times since. I had the hardware removed last July, because I was STILL having pain on the outer ankle, in the area of the injury, but this doesn’t seem to have made much difference. I just haven’t really tried skating again since pre-hardware removal, other than putting my boots on a couple of times at home to see how it feels.
    5. This ankle is just permanently messed up. There’s scar tissue, it feels like there’s cushioning missing, it clicks, sometimes it hurts. Because the symptoms are so inconsistent, though, I don’t feel like I can go back to the doctor and say THIS is what’s wrong, now fix it.
    6. I still do want to get back on the ice, fearful as I am (yes, call me an idiot). I keep meaning to get my boots on and get used to them again, and I know I’m going to have to tape tape tape and Bunga pad the heck out of the ankle to make it work, but I do want to make it work. I'm tired of doing exercise I don't enjoy, and I was THISCLOSE to finally having a Bronze FS test ready when I broke the ankle. We'll have to see if I can get sufficient flexion and strength back for the sit spin--the few times I tried this, prior to hardware removal, it was awfully tough to get into position.

11. Debbie S

Debbie S Well-Known Member

Ouch, LilJen, sounds like you've had more than your share of bad luck. I hope you can get back on the ice and pass the Bronze test.

Broke my left leg - tibia just above the ankle, at the top of the boot, and the fibula up near the knee - in Nov 2009. Fell right after an RBO 3-turn after I skidded, pitched forward, and my left foot came down, got stuck in the ice, so instead of falling splat on my knee or stomach, I fell on top of my left leg as it twisted underneath me. Had surgery 5 days later to put in a rod and 4 screws in the tibia. The fibula didn't need surgery, healed on its own in 6 weeks.

I was off the ice for 6 months. Had 6 months of PT, starting when I was able to weight-bear. My doc had initially said it would probably take a year for the swelling to go down enough to be able to get my foot in my skate, but after icing 3 times a day for about 30 min at a time, I was able to fit my skate on my foot soon after I started weight-bearing (sitting down, not walking in the skates ;)). But I wasn't allowed to do turns on the left foot until about the 10-month mark. When I did try to practice full-strength, I had a lot of pain from the hardware. Also had pain just walking, esp on any sort of incline (like if the sidewalk happened to slope up or down slightly). So I got the hardware removed in April 2011. Had PT from May through August and went back to skating in July.

Like treesprite, I don't have 100% range of motion in that ankle. Back turns and crossovers, esp forward CCW, are difficult. I've thought about having my blade moved a bit to the inside. I have Klingbeil skates, though, and they insist the blade be mounted down the middle (although I've heard they'll move the blades themselves) or they void the warranty. My skates are 8 years old, so I don't think I'll need to take them back, lol, but I may want/need a rebuild at some point so not sure how they would handle that. And since I'm so used to skating with the blades mounted as they are, would any movement throw me off? Something to think about. I'll ask my coach and PT (who is also a skating coach at my rink :)).

I also have difficulty with the sit spin, although it's better than it was with the hardware. Before I broke my leg, I got to the point where I could get my skating leg parallel to the ice. I haven't seen any videos or pics of my current position, but I know it's nowhere near that. But I'm still trying. The range has improved over time, and I feel like I'm making (slow) progress on the left turns. I tried the Gold MIF test in Sept and was nowhere near passing and very depressed by the comments - I wasn't expecting to pass, but didn't expect to be scored as low as I was. :( But my coach thinks I'm improving and wants me to try again, so I may sometime this summer.

12. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

No broken bones that I know of -- once I fell straight down on my tail bone (on a very slow backward three) and it hurt for many months but didn't stop me from doing anything.

No concussion that I know of. I did hit my head on the ice a few times; I stopped skating for the day, it hurt for a few days, but no lasting effects. Once was on a LFI mohawk and once on a LFI three -- no wonder I have a mental block about those turns. Well, that and the fact that I didn't learn them until I was an adult, unlike the other forward threes and RFI. Once on a back bracket, before I was working on them officially.

Sympathies to those who have suffered.

Muscle pulls, in groin and quadriceps, have kept me off ice for a month or two, and interfered with daily walking or moving from sitting to standing.

The most lasting injury was to my left knee, but I don't even know what to call it. I fell on it a couple times working on LBI threes (a continuing theme about how I never liked left inside edges even before my left knee went bad), with some sore bruising. While it was still bruised I collided with a more powerful adult skater who wasn't watching where he was going and fell on the knee at higher speed. Maybe it was stiff for a couple days, sore and bruised for a lot longer, but I was able to actually do stuff for a few months.

And then one day I got on the ice and immediately realized my left knee wouldn't bend while I had weight on it. So I couldn't even do basic stroking and the parent who was monitoring encouraged me to get my money back for that session.

Off for several months; a couple of doctor visits, finally convinced them to give me an MRI months later, but the only diagnosis I could get was proto-arthritis/chondromalacia. Which would explain the pain but not the utter weakness, the inability to bend and support weight at the same time.

Meanwhile I did physical therapy and it did get stronger and I could go back to skating, but that knee has never been the same since. Sometimes it hurts a bit, sometimes it's weak and won't bend enough to do turns or proper stroking, other times it's OK. No explanation of what the problem is. And I'll never have good turns on that leg except the basic FO three, nor a proper forward sitspin (which I never had anyway, but now I don't dare try to work on getting lower).

halffull and (deleted member) like this.
  13. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

Ouch, everyone!! Yes, I've had some spectacularly bad luck. It was news to me in my 40s that, gee, I might just have really awful ankles.

I have hit my head a few times as well--once on forward power pulls. Scared me off them for like 3 months, and I still feel like I've never really "gotten" that element (back power pulls are easy peasy).

The other thing I'll be fighting against for that sit spin and loop jump for the Bronze FS is a hip impingement (free leg on spin, takeoff & landing leg for loop). I got an injection last summer (it's probably a torn labrum) and it's been OK since, but who knows when that might wear off or get worse? Before the injection I could NOT swing the leg around, nor could I jump off of it. Just a geezer fighting aging here :)

14. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

I said the same thing to the lady competing in Silver ladies V. 'inspirational', not geezer :D. And, seriously, I'm impressed you keep coming back and regaining all these skills :cheer2:

15. Morgail

Morgail New Member

A.
    1. Dislocated right kneecap
    2. While doing a lunge
    3. PT, and time off the ice
    4. I worried for a while about jumps, since right leg is my landing leg. But when nothing happened, I stopped worrying. :)
    5. no, thankfully
    6. No more lunges for me!!

B.
    1. high left ankle sprain (meaning I tore all the ligaments) + broken left fibula
    2. Like Jen, the EVILLE BRACKETS! It was a backwards one, not sure which foot now, but I lost my balance on the turn & caught my left toe pick in the ice as I fell straight down on my behind.
    3. surgery on the ankle with hardware, off the ice for months, PT for ankle. The fibula healed on its own.
    4. Those brackets scared the bejeezus out of me afterwards. I forced myself to do them my second or third time back on the ice while holding my coach's hand. Eventually, I got past it, and even managed to pass Gold Moves. :)
    5. No, thankfully, again.
    6. This happened at the very end of a session when I was pushing myself past the point of tired. I like to think I listen to my body better now and leave when I reach that point!

This isn't an injury, per se, but I've had on and off tendonitis in my right ankle from trying to land the axel. It's far more frustrating than either of the two injuries I mentioned above, because it doesn't go away.

16. Debbie S

Debbie S Well-Known Member

Try icing your ankle nightly, at least 20 min at a time, and wear a bunga pad around the ankle when you skate. I started having tendonitis in my right ankle about a year before I broke my leg, had some PT, and they recommended the nightly icing whenever I had problems with it. Usually, it took care of the problem - well, at least, it stopped the pain/soreness.

17. Johnny_Fever

Johnny_Fever Well-Known Member

I'm still sore from my last tailbone fall, 4 years later.

18. treesprite

treesprite Member

Same here when I broke my wrist. I got off the ice because I was too tired to skate safely. Well, my friend had borrowed a CD from me a few days earlier and got the guard to let him play it this night, since there were only 3 of us skating. The song that was his reason for borrowing it started to play and he insisted I get back on the ice to skate to it. I said no, but he kept persisting so I gave in and went out on the ice. It took less than a minute for me to break my wrist. I will never skate tired again!

19. clairecloutier

clairecloutier Well-Known Member

I'm just getting back into skating. So far, knock on wood, I've not had any real injuries.

But I've had some close calls already. The other day I was attempting some toepick-type turns--I don't know the proper term, but you see skaters do them on TV--and anyhow, suddenly I just went down, and my head was just inches from hitting the ice. That was a little scary. I also fell fairly hard on my tailbone while attempting some footwork a couple months ago. It was sore for probably 3 to 4 weeks afterward. Then last week, I fell awkwardly twice while attempting a sit spin for the first time in 12 years!

I do feel like I need to be more careful now than when I was younger (I'm 45). And like you say, Treesprite, skating tired is a real issue. It definitely leads to more falls, and more awkward falls, so I want to avoid it. But, the time I have available for skating is very limited, so I get tempted to push through the tiredness and keep working anyhow.

20. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

I don't want to scare you, but the hip impingement is one of the four hip injuries I had on my hip. It happened because bits of my labrum got torn off, and were floating in the hip joint making it 'mechanically dysfunctional'. If you don't do anything with it to have it fixed and keep pushing it anyway, you will start overcompensating with your gluteus and your iliopsoas (to be able to lift your leg when the bits of the labrum are making the hip joint 'stuck'). So it will eventually lead with putting so much strain on the iliopsoas and gluteus so much that they get partially torn (and if it is still not diagnosed, it could get completely torn). I was 'lucky' that after a year of visiting four different specialists, having various scans and doing lots of rehabilitation, the last hip specialist eventually diagnosed it so my iliopsoas and gluteus medius were only partially torn. But after it was diagnosed, the surgery was within 2 days because they thought that it was quite urgent. (Maybe if the previous three hip specialist read properly the outcomes of the scans, I would never partially tear my iliopsoas and gluteus medius. ) The hip surgery was pretty bad. I have had three knee surgeries in the past, but the one on my hip was worse than all three knee surgeries together! The outcome now is that I will never be able to jump (on the ice) and had to switch to ice dance. Be careful with hip injury!

LilJen likes this.
  21. sk8pics

sk8pics Well-Known Member

I broke my left ankle on October 30, 2006, at around 6:30 pm. I remember it so clearly because I was wearing my pink panther dress and practicing for the upcoming Halloween Classic, doing a partial run through with my coach. He was not far from me, kind of blocking the crowds. I was just doing some simple footwork, turning from forwards to backwards to forwards, and I stepped forward to do a bunny hop and I lost my balance and fell backwards towards my left. My blade caught in the ice, so I fell on my foot. My rockstar coach came with me to the hospital and stayed with me for hours, and then went to my house and took care of my cats. I had surgery, had 3 screws in the ankle, started PT about 10 days later but was non weight-bearing for about 7 weeks. Six and a half weeks in, I threw 2 clots to my lungs, so I was in the hospital 5 days for that. But, eventually things got better. I had the screws removed the following April because the syndesmotic screw, which pinned the fibula to the tibia, hurt me, and my surgeon just took them all out.

I had about 4 months of PT altogether, and I know it helped a lot. I did not get back on the ice until around August or so. The first time I skated with my coach at the same rink I was injured at, and that was a little freaky. Skated with him a few times, went and braved some public sessions and some freestyle sessions. For awhile, my ankle did not want to flex enough, and crossovers were great therapy. I would say I have about 95% or so of my former range of motion, and it never bothers me while skating. I had pain due to the soft tissue injury sporadically for several years but it is totally fine now. I do notice that if I am not vigilent about stretching it, it does stiffen up a bit.

I still skate, but just once a week or so with my coach. I could skate more, but I developed a lot of other interests in the time I was recovering, and so I am content with what I'm doing. My coach stays with me, encourages me, and lets me do what I want, teaches me new things or helps me improve what I can do. After all, I'm not going to the Olympics or even adult nationals, and I'm okay with that. It is just fun. My coach and I have been together since January of 1999! He and I were laughing about that today, as we are clearly the longest running partnership at the rink.

LilJen likes this.
  22. J-Ro

J-Ro Active Member

I have never broken bones while skating. I am 47 years old and have been skating since I was a kid. However, I have sprained my right ankle several times and have gouged my left shin twice with the back of my right blade, requiring stitches and time off the ice both times. I have split my chin open and I have gotten some nasty bruises. I recover and keep going. If I broke a bone, same thing. It would not discourage me.

23. Messalina

Messalina Sabre-rattler

Well, as I posted in another thread here on MITF, I broke my right tibia skating. Lost my balance and fell backwards after sticking my toe pick in the ice. Damn toe pick!

Some rink employees brought a chair on casters onto the ice and helped me onto it, then rolled me off. I had been practicing during a public skate after my lesson, and a throng of hockey players were clogging the office and snack area, waiting to get on the ice for their pick-up session. One of the hockey players was an EMT and he checked my leg and said he was pretty sure it was broken (which I assumed too, as I had heard a distinct snap). I ended up getting a titanium rod and 5 screws over two months into my healing time.

I had no idea what I was in for. It was about 5 months before I was tentatively weight-bearing, but I didn't go back to skating. Since I wasn't really active, it took me a couple of years to regain my range of motion in that foot and ankle. I did have an excellent physical therapist who came to my house and tortured me for awhile (in the nicest possible way) after I had my hard casts off. (The PTs at my ortho's office were true sadists.) That helped a lot. I slacked off quite a bit after she stopped coming.

BUT. Tomorrow I am finally going back on the ice for the first time since the break. I am excited, mainly. But I think it will be a little weird to be on the ice at the same rink−I know exactly the spot where I was skating when I fell. I'm just going to take it really easy and try not to freak out. :p My two sons and I are signed up for LTS lessons taking place at the same time. The idea of having them there comforts me since it will probably refocus my attention onto them and off of me. In theory, at least ....

ETA:

I also had a spiral fracture of the right tibia (exactly right above the boot top, since the stiff boot kept my leg/foot/ankle safe and immobilized inside), but I somehow did not break my fibula. I guess tib/fib is very common−not sure how I didn't manage to fx my fibula too.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2014
    gkelly and (deleted member) like this.
  24. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

Yeah, I did ask the doctor, when we were talking about the cortisone injection, "well, gee, won't I just damage my hip more while the pain is gone?" Very conscious of this. Alas, the plain MRI didn't show anything. If ever I deal with more pain or discomfort I'll have to request a contrast MRI.

25. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

Request more tests! My hip did not apparently show anything on MRI, then I had another MRI with some contrast thing injected in; they claimed again that it didn't show anything. I then had Xray, also nothing that would explain the symptoms they described. I had cortisone shot, it helped a little bit but then started hurting at another place in my hip (probably in the meantime I already created one of the further injuries), then I wasted 6 months with doing physio and nothing improved, in fact the cortisone shot wore off and I had very bad pain by then, then I took all the CDs with all the tests (MRI, MRI with contrast and the X ray pictures) to another specialist and he actually found the injuries on it! So I have been told all the time that there is nothing on the scans but there were the injuries visible if they knew what they were looking for. If the first three specialists were competent, I would not end up with four different injuries. To be fair, hip injuries are hard to diagnose. I found some forum on hip injuries and found out that I wasn't the only one who took such a long time to be diagnosed. But the sad thing is that if they don't diagnose it, it will get worse. It got so bad that I was tripping on the stairs because my brain thought that I lift my leg high enough and the leg wasn't lifted enough.

26. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

Did you end up having surgery? If the symptoms go back to what they were before my cortisone shot (which has lasted nearly a year) then I would consider surgery, assuming the doctors found the problem. For now, though, I'm ok.

27. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

Yes, I did end up having the surgery. My pain is gone but unfortunately I won't ever do freeskating again. Never mind, I switched to dance. I am only adult skater, so it is not a disaster. I never intended to be ice dancer, but it is better than nothing.

28. clairecloutier

clairecloutier Well-Known Member

Well yesterday I unfortunately joined this club. I was practicing spins in a new group lesson class and suddenly fell. Broke my right wrist. Now it's in a cast and I have to elevate and ice it ....will see an orthopedic surgeon early this week. The doctor in the ER said its a bad break and may need surgery.

I'm feeling sad at the thought of being off the ice for probably a long time. And a little worried that I fell so badly on a spin of all things. It makes me wonder if my internal center of balance is really off or something. And just when I was starting to make some progress on my backspin ... :)

29. Susan1

Susan1 Active Member

Seriously? That's so close to mine. In 1996, I broke my left leg in three places doing a LBO 3 turn. My left blade got caught in a rut and, according to witnesses, my right foot pushed into my left leg. The tibia was broken just above the ankle and below the knee, which broke the fibula near the top tibia break.

I forget the order of the questions, but.........this was on August 16 (adult skating camp) about 7 p.m. Laid on the ice waiting for the ambulance for about half an hour. And then in the ER for I don't know how long. Every 5 minutes I was asking Peggy (friend who followed the ambulance) what time it was when there was a giant clock on the wall. Finally met the orthopedic surgeon, got x-rayed and knocked out and was in a room by midnight with a cast from above the knee to my toes. (I have pictures.) I was in the cast for three weeks while the swelling went down. Went to hospital to have titanium rod from ankle to knee, pin across the top and screws at each end put in on September 6 (18 staples).

Was off work for 20 weeks altogether (fully paid - gotta love the 90's corporate policies and insurance). Went to the orthopedic surgeon every three weeks. Started going to PT in October, was allowed to put 100% of my weight on my leg (and drive and take a shower!!!) the day after Thanksgiving). Went back to work January 7. And I have a copy of my final x-ray!!! Had screws taken out (outpatient) February 7. Got to keep the screws.

Went skating one year+one week after break - slowly. Never really got back into trying to do much and only skated for another season. You can still see the scars.

30. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

No broken bones. Most damage was a badly sprained wrist (trying to drive home was painful) and 4 stitches to the back of the head doing the back chasses on the Starlight Waltz (since dubbed the Starfright Waltz). Should have pointed the toe.