How long did it take you as a Skater to get used to skating in front of people?

Discussion in 'Moves In The Field' started by FSWer, Mar 29, 2012.

1. FSWer

FSWer Well-Known Member

Ok,I was just thinking about this today,and wanted to ask all you Skaters (who do so) here, how long it actually took YOU to get used to skating in front of people? Please include were you have skated, and how big a crowd.

2. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

I've been skating in competitions for more than 10 years, and I am still not used to skating in front of people.

It's not something that is the same every time you do it. Sometimes you can feel and see that the audience is really supportive and positive, and that makes it easier. But even if the audience is really supportive and positive, it can still be scary if you are not confident in your program yet, or if you know that a lot of the skaters you are competing against have better skills or more experience than you.

Skating in front of people has gotten easier for me as I have had more experience with it, but I still wouldn't say I am used to it.

3. treesprite

treesprite Member

When I was in my first skating life, I skated in a mall skating rink with a great big window that all the mall customers used to stare through... took me a while to get used to it and I was just a kid. The other day I went to some unfamiliar rink to have my blades dealt with, and discovered that the rink has this upper mezzanine above it so the skaters get watched... I told the skate guy that I was glad I didn't skate there, because I don;t think I could deal with people watching me from up there.

4. TDsk8

TDsk8 New Member

Up to this day, I still get the same rubber legs, numb body feeling.

5. Synchkat

Synchkat New Member

From as early as I can remember I've loved performing in front of an audience. I was a bit shy as a child but put me out on ice or even in school if I had to do a speech I'd just start performing. So I guess I've always been used to it.

At one of my synchro team's competitions this year I was incredibly nervous but the second I got out on the ice and did the stroking block I knew I was fine. I just thrive from havnig an audience. At my rink it's a private club so there's a wall of windows and a lounge where lots of people sit and eat or socialize. I love it when there are people sitting in the lounge. I often feel like I have to perform to get them to watch me. I guess I like attention. :)

6. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

I don't mind people watching me. I skate in a mall rink. That means people are ALWAYS watching. I think they are roughly equally divided between the "I hope they fall, it's funny when people fall" and "wow- those skaters can go backwards".

Competitions are another matter. On one hand, I like the audience. I know no one out there is impressed with my skating (their skaters can go backwards too...) but no one is hoping I fall either. If anyone is still there when the adults compete- they are supportive (Or bored) but they aren't wanting you to fail. I like performing.

But I also get very very nervous. Not about being watched, but about being judged. Not really about my placement, but just knowing - I have to do it right THIS time. There is no second chance. I don't do well with that and am shaky and often tell my coach I'm quitting skating and taking up tennis instead.

7. Lynne in Minn.

Lynne in Minn. New Member

The more I skate in public, the better the preliminary nerves get--but I'll never really "get used" to it. And I've been skating . . . um, a really long time . . .

I don't get as nervous when I feel comfortable with the program (vs. wondering if I can really do all the things in it when it counts).

8. Johnny_Fever

Johnny_Fever New Member

You never get used to it. You just develop coping strategies. The size of the crowd is irrelevant to me. I'm just as nervous in an empty rink with 3 judges.

9. misskarne

misskarne Spirit. Focus. Ability. Tenacity. Aussie Grit.

Honestly, I don't know if I ever will be "used" to it. I have the ability to be a bit more relaxed before I skate now, but the second they call my name, my heartrate doubles, and when the music starts, it triples. It's not neccessarily the crowd that puts the frighteners in me - it's the ones sitting on the other side of the rink behind the computers that make me nervous!

I get jelly-legged nervous at an Aussie Skate test, lol.

10. TDsk8

TDsk8 New Member

Very well said :)

Although my head is set up differently, I love a huge crowd that just stares at me and make me go :eek: inside. It pushes me more throughout my adrenaline