How is Courtney Hicks doing?

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by gingercat, Feb 4, 2012.

1. demetriosj

demetriosj Well-Known Member

Probably a good move.

It would have been awkward now that Wagner is working with Nicks.

2. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

AFAIK they haven't team coached together for years.

Here's the April 12 USFS press release: Courtney Hicks Announces Coaching Change

Last edited: Apr 12, 2012
  3. Hedwig

Hedwig Rarely here anymore but I try to be better!

Congemi was Bebe Liang's coach, wasn't he?

ETA - just saw it in the article. Yes.

4. kwanatic

kwanatic Well-Known Member

Good to hear she's doing better. I think staying with Nicks full-time might be better for her...she's in desperate of need of some smoothing out. I like the attack in her jumps but Courtney's overall skating was very sloppy and unappealing (to me at least). I would have hoped staying with Nicks may have helped her with her presentation, line, extension, flexibility, etc.

Hopefully with all of the time she's had off with her injury she's been working on other areas of her skating. She's got a lot of talent and drive and that's always a plus for skater. It will be interesting to see how she does next season.

5. AnnMJensen

AnnMJensen Member

Frank went out to Cathedral City to the new rink opened there by the Ice Castle folks. Ken is still at El Segundo rink.

6. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

I thought Ken left coaching for some other venture. What happenrd with that endeavor?

7. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

Leaving Nicks seems right given Wagner's re-birth under him.

However, god help Hicks' leg line :drama:

8. demetriosj

Is Hicks originally from California?

9. Sylvia

Her Team USA/IN bio lists her birthplace as Placentia, Calif.

10. love_skate2011

love_skate2011 Well-Known Member

that makes sense. she'll be 17 now right .

11. Sylvia

Hicks will turn 17 in December 2012. My guess is that she is aiming to be considered for the JGP again, but we'll have to wait and see.

ETA: Hicks is currently #30 on the ISU Season Best total scores list (151.91 for winning the JGP in Brisbane & the 10th ranked U.S. lady) and #75 on the Season's Rankings list (250 points for her JGP gold medal), and #81 on the ISU World Standings list (I missed seeing her name earlier).

Last edited: Apr 14, 2012
  12. kwanatic

kwanatic Well-Known Member

Has she done enough to get an invite to a senior level GP? I think staying junior is her best bet. At least that will give her a year to ease back into competition and continue to work on her skating...

13. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

I hope Courtney does skate as a Senior at Nats though. With her and Gracie there it will certainly be exciting.

14. demetriosj

Why would she even consider doing Junior again? She won! Staying in Junior would make no sense.

If she is skating well, I hope she could do Senior Grand Prix,

anyone know if she can?

15. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

Highly unlikely. Her SB is not in the top 24, and her WS is very low from only having competed in 2 internationals ever (JW and JGP Brisbane), and with so many other US ladies in contention for GP spots, her only hope really would be a host spot, and I'm sure the USFS will probably give that to another skater who maybe only gets 1 GP to give them a 2nd.

16. modern_muslimah

modern_muslimah Thinking of witty user title and coming up blank

Honestly, since she didn't finish competing as a junior internationally last season, she should probably stick to the JGP this coming season so that she can build a rep. With Lipnitskaya and presumably Gold going senior next season, being on the JGP might give Hicks a chance to shine, especially if she has gained back her form before her injury.

17. haribobo

haribobo Well-Known Member

Correct. Assuming no retirements or injuries, once the guaranteed skaters are out of the way, assuming a best case scenario where seeded skaters all do only 2 events and all home slots are used, there are only 8 spots left. Which will likely go towards second events for skaters like Sotnikova, Gold, Czisny, Zhang, Lipnitskaya, Tuktamysheva, Phaneuf, Zijun Li, Nagasu, and maybe a first event for Gao, Lam, and Zawadzki. If USFS allows for someone besides those skaters to be chosen for a SA spot, Cesario and Baga are other potential contendors assuming Jiang, Wang, Siraj, Cain, etc. are staying on JGP. Hicks could be a GP medal contendor regardless of all this, but I see her most likely staying on JGP anyway.