How I Met Your Mother (tv show)

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by algonquin, Sep 25, 2012.

1. algonquin

algonquin Well-Known Member

Last edited: Sep 25, 2012
  2. Fridge_Break

Fridge_Break Well-Known Member

I believe this is the last season? I've read a few interviews and it sounds like they're winding things down. I love the show so much (great to watch reruns or past seasons on DVD!) that I'd be fine with it continuing for as long as possible, but I know that a lot of people are getting kind of antsy waiting for the big reveal of the mother.

Last night's premiere gave us a big piece to the puzzle of how he met her :) Now just to find out who she is!

3. shan

shan Well-Known Member

Oh that's what HIMYM stands for. okay.... :duh:

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  4. liv

liv Well-Known Member

I like the show too and actually only came to start watching it a couple of years ago. I watch a lot of reruns. It was the one premiere last night i made sure to watch. I think they've drawn it out as much as they can and this year would probably be a good year to finish it off... or one more season after that.

5. Angelskates

Angelskates Well-Known Member

I hope they finish it this season :) Though I do enjoy it.

6. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

I'm addicted to this show.

I think I need an intervention.

7. BaileyCatts

BaileyCatts Well-Known Member

They almost have to end it this year, next year at most. The very first episode, we see the kids sitting on the couch to hear the story of how Dad met their mother and it said the year was 2030. The daughter looks to be about 15, which means she had to be born no later than 2015, which means mom is pregnant by 2014, so they gotta be together by then blah blah blah .... :lol:

8. Fridge_Break

Yeah I've been thinking that, too. Did you see the episode last season where they flashed forward 2/3 years? Not going to spoil it for anyone who didn't see it. :)

I guess the question is if they're going to do a season after Ted meets his wife. I guess it's a possibility, but I don't think they will.

9. algonquin

That was a nice scene.

I saw an interview with Neil Patrick Harris on Monday. He said that the show should end when Ted meets the mother.

10. Theatregirl1122

Theatregirl1122 Well-Known Member

They pretty much told us that Ted meets the mother 8 months from now, right?

I'd rather it didn't end when he met the mother. After all this build up, I'd like to actually get to know her. But I understand why they would end the show when he does. For one thing, you'd assume he stops telling the story of how he met their mother once he meets their mother. And, if she were a character on the show, they might have a problem with people not liking her after all of the build up.

11. Norlite

Norlite New Member

Didn't they already tell us who their mother was a season or so ago?

The roommate of a Rachel Bilson. Ted was dating her (Rachel) and met her then although we only saw her from behind as she left the room.

I don't really watch this religiously, is it possible the roommate became a regular character?

12. Fridge_Break

We did find out that the mother was the roommate of a woman he once dated, but he stated at the end of the episode that he wouldn't actually meet her until a few years later, so I don't think she's a recurring character. But who knows, perhaps we've seen her face before, but she's never played any sort of role in any of the episodes. :)

13. Theatregirl1122

We know that she carries the yellow umbrella, we know that she was the roommate of Rachel Bilson's character, we know that Ted meets her at Barney's wedding (which he said last season. The reveal at the end of the last episode might mean that he actually meets her the day of Barney's wedding or that he meets her at the wedding but doesn't really notice her until the platform), we know she was in the class he accidentally taught his first day, we know she was at the St. Patrick's day party where he hits on a married woman.

It seems unlikely that the mother is already a reoccurring character since the point of the show is that he'd never met her, although he comes close. But I could be wrong. Ted does says that, when he gets their mother's number, he calls right away. So she's at least not someone whose number he already has.

There is some speculation that the mother may be Barney's half sister since we haven't met her yet and, presumably, she'd be at Barney's wedding.

(I have a friend who I some times have actual long conversations with about this.)

14. Celine82

Celine82 Well-Known Member

I thought I was following the series quite closely, but apparently I missed the fact that Barney has a half sister... :slinkaway
    Is she his dad's daugther from his second marriage?

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  15. Theatregirl1122

Yep, and she was in college which would fit with the idea of her being in the econ class that Ted tried to teach Architecture to. Which is how the theory developed.

16. algonquin

http://insidetv.ew.com/2012/09/24/how-i-met-your-mother-season-8-premiere/

A quote from one of the producers:

Last edited: Sep 27, 2012
  17. MacMadame

MacMadame Internet Beyotch

Based on that article, I don't think it can be Barney's half-sister because the showrunners say he meets her on the train platform... He would have met Barney's half-sister at the wedding.

18. algonquin

Bumped up. Spoiler here
    After last night, does anyone think that Robin is the mother?

19. MacMadame

Not anyone who pays the least bit of attention. We know for sure that the mother is that one girl's roommate and that Robin marries Barney. And in every story where Ted talks directly to the kids, Robin is referred to as Aunt Robin. Plus Ted meets the mother at Barney's wedding and he's already met Robin.

20. Norlite

Norlite New Member

I rarely pay attention and even I know she's Aunt Robin.

MacMadame and (deleted member) like this.
  21. algonquin

Yes, I know all that, but there are a few things that make me think otherwise. Last season, Lilly and Marshall had a bet on Robin and Ted getting back together. I forgot the specifics, but Marshall didn't concede defeat when Robin moved out of Ted's place. I think that he said something like, "It not over yet". Also, consider the last thing that Victoria said to Ted. There are some other things...

22. MacMadame

I'm sorry but there are no things... we know the mother is that one girl's roommate and Ted saw her ankle at a time when Robin wasn't living there. QED.

Also, the creators of HIMYM gave interviews at the beginning of this season where they said they plan to reveal the mother at the end of this season at Robin and Barney's wedding.

23. Amy L

Amy L Well-Known Member

The thing about the show is that the audience knows the ending, but the characters do not. So Victoria may be stuck on Ted's feelings for Robin, and everyone else may not be so sure, but it'd ruin entire premise if Robin and Ted ended up together. Robin does not want children, can't have children, and OldTed said that Robin never became a mother. The kids grew up knowing her as Aunt Robin. What would they do in the series finale, hahaha it's really Robin just kidding everyone!

BTW, as far as we know, we're not sure if Robin and Barney go through with the wedding, right? OldTed only said they had a wedding, not that they're married. Or did I miss something? I remember that they were both freaking out, and on the train platform (before we see the Mother's legs and guitar case) Ted said that the wedding was a disaster, or something like that.

24. MacMadame

Oh, that's a good point. Maybe they won't end up married, which would make me sad on one level but not on another as I don't think everyone has to end up paired up together for it to all work out.

But married or not, Robin can't be the mother for all the reasons we both said and a host of other ones. It would be a huge F-you to the audience to do that IMO.

25. Amy L

Amy L Well-Known Member

I just rewatched the season premiere (better than politics :p ) and Ted doesn't say anything definite about the wedding. I recall now that the disaster remark was from a different flashback when he and Barney were reminiscing about Punchy's wedding (as in, things are going wrong but at least this wedding isn't going as badly as Punchy's).

Does anyone know if this is definitely the last season, or are they thinking about one more?

26. Nell411

Nell411 Afterlife

Nothing has been set in stone yet. Jason Segel has said that he hopes it ends this year, but they haven't actually started contract negotiations yet. Or at least as of mid-october they hadn't. I think that was the last time Alyson Hannigan tweeted about it.

27. MacMadame

The show founders have said they think this is the last season and they plan to introduce the mother as a finale but they also said that they have a plan in case it's not the last season.

28. Erin

Erin Well-Known Member

I sure hope it's the last season...these past few seasons have been really disappointing and I can only come up with a handful of post-Season 4 episodes that I'd want to watch again. I guess I could (and perhaps should) quit watching but I keep holding out hope that something will happen and the show will come back to its former glory.

I definitely agree that Robin's not the mother. But I really wish they would stop going back to her and Ted...it kind of seemed like they had closure at the end of the episode where they were friends with benefits, but then the writers keep going back to it over and over and over again.

29. Fridge_Break

Robin is not the mother. That was confirmed in the very first episode of the series.

30. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Which also doesn't bode well for the eventual mother of his children. There's clearly a connection there, and years on, he's still talking about Aunt Robin - that's gotta be annoying for the wife. :p