How excited are you for this next season/quad?

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by alchemy void, Aug 22, 2014.

What's your excitement level for this season and quad cycle (compared to previous years)?

1. More excited! Let's get it started!

36 vote(s)
    25.2%
  2. About the same as previous years

24 vote(s)
    16.8%
  3. Less excitement but still quite interested

37 vote(s)
    25.9%
  4. None at all. Sotnikova, IJS, and Speedy have ruined the sport. I'M DONE FOREVER!!!!!!1EUJE

46 vote(s)
    32.2%
  1. alchemy void

alchemy void it's time for the perkolator

I know I'm probably in the minority, but this is the most excited for the quad cycle to start since the 98-02. With all of the new pairs and dance teams, the field is really up for grabs. It's the most wide open I can ever remember. We seem to be in for old school USA vs RUS showdown in ladies (not to forget Japanese and South Korea!). Men, well, someone will have to get me excited about the guys. ;)

Also, even though most of the announced music choices are gross, I am excited to see vocals in ISU competition and the response from the elderly judges.

Other things to be excited about: Suguri's refusal to retire (you go girl!), GP events back up to 12 for singles, and how PCS will be judged at the beginning of the new quad.

I know the popular narrative is that skating is dying, even amongst hardcore fans like us. I'm interested to see what FSU's take is...what's your excitement level for the upcoming season and quad?

zigzig, rfisher, sadya and 2 others like this.
  2. coppertop1

coppertop1 Active Member

I'm always looking forward to the next Olympic cycle. There is a lot of things to look forward to:
    The development of the teens prodigies, esp in Russia, development of the Korean skaters, vocals in skating, who will be the next dominant skater, will anyone challenge Hanyu?

I say we should give the season a chance before dissing.

3. Karpenko

Karpenko Well-Known Member

Tickled pink. Or maybe it's more of a faded magenta?

:barrel

I will be very objective this quad, I can definitely say that will be very exciting.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2014
    clairecloutier likes this.
  4. girlscouse62

girlscouse62 Active Member

For me, I will truly miss the top two ice dance teams, and Natalie /Fabian. I thought them very special. That said, I am really looking forward to W/P and whatever the Russians will produce. Also excited to see what new pairs look like. Hmmm, maybe I voted incorrectly! Lol

5. cheerknithanson

cheerknithanson Active Member

Those 7.7% saying they're done....wow....

I'm SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO excited for the upcoming seasons!!! I'm nervous though about retirements. Oh dear gosh. I'm so scared one of my favorites will retire before I'll ever get to see him skate!

6. quartz

quartz turn around turn around it's on the other side

I love the season right after an Olympics. Although, I am quite confused as to who is skating with who in dance and pairs!
    I enjoy seeing who may be the up and comers for the next quad, and find that some of the more established skaters will be a little more experimental with program choices as the season isn't quite as intense as an Olympic season. :inavoid:

7. Meoima

Meoima Well-Known Member

Yes, dance and pairs are a mess at this moment. All the split and new team.:wall:

8. hirtmoles31

hirtmoles31 Active Member

I wont be watching any ladies until Sotnikova retires. Whether that takes 1 year, 4 years, or 8 years. However the other 3 events interest me a lot, so will be following skating, and just always skipping the ladies event which is conveniently always last on the program.

9. coppertop1

coppertop1 Active Member

I wonder why there are so many splits? Though it's not unheard of following the Olympics.

I will miss those who retire, but to me part of the excitement is welcoming the new wave and having new ones to vote for. I will definitely miss V/T and D/W and their showdowns but I look forward to what W/P have in store.

quartz likes this.
  10. Meoima

Meoima Well-Known Member

I would love to watch how Elena and Ruslan progess in the next quad, who knows... i hope they will get the best result. :cheer2:And I wish them all the chances in the world to stay on the podium and look down on their pervious partners. :EVILLE:

legjumper likes this.
  11. kwanatic

kwanatic Well-Known Member

I'm really sad to see Yu-Na and Akiko officially retire and I'm wondering if we'll ever see Mao or Carolina again as well...usually that would leave me feeling really depressed heading into this season/quad but I'm happy to say I'm really looking forward to this new generation of ladies. Whereas last quad we still had a number of holdovers, this time all of the top names for the past two quads are gone which means this post-Sochi crop of ladies will have their shot at the top of the podium.

The field is stacked with talent. Russia has at least 3 major skaters in both divisions (Adelina, Julia, Elena, Anna in seniors; Alexandra, Maria, Serafima, Evgenia in juniors); the US finally has some major contenders as well (Gracie, Polina, Ashley); Japan isn't as deep as they once were but should still be a presence with Satoko, Kanako and possibly Rika Hongo (also Rin Nitaya on the junior level looks promising); South Korea may have a podium contender in So Youn Park and Hae Jin Kim; Zijun Li in China; Kaetlyn Osmond and Gabrielle Daleman in Canada; and maybe a few others who will emerge or reemerge...

I'm excited. I think the competition will be at the highest level it's been at in quite a while. There are a number of ladies who are at the top but I don't feel like there is a guarantee of who will win. None of them are unbeatable which is excellent b/c that means in order to win, they have to stay on their toes.

Bring on the post-Sochi crowd!! I'm SO ready!!:watch::40beers:

12. clairecloutier

clairecloutier Well-Known Member

The post-Olympic season I always find really exciting. Just seeing who's going to establish themselves as contenders, who's going to make that quantum leap from good to great, who's improved and who hasn't. Surprising stuff always happens, which is fun.

My excitement level this year is pretty high, but it's usually pretty high in the post-Olympic year, so I picked "about the same" for my poll answer. This year, I'm really excited about all the new pairs, and also really excited to see more from Peng/Zhang. And I'm looking forward to Denis, Yuzuru, and Jason in mens. I'm less excited about ladies and dance. So much phenomenal talent is going to be missing in those two divisions, I think it's going to take me a while to find new favorites whom I love as much as Yuna, Mao, Carolina, Akiko, and Meryl & Charlie.

Back in 2010, it was the opposite. That year, I was excited to see what Mao and Mirai would do in ladies, and I couldn't wait to see more of Meryl & Charlie in dance. I really wasn't so excited about pairs or men.

So it's different every year, but I always seem to find something that grabs my interest! :)

quartz likes this.
  13. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

Although I voted for 'same as before' (because I am always excited about FS), the new quad could be really interesting, because of the numerous splits in ice dance and pairs. The ladies are going to be very interesting, with no clear favorite. I am a little less excited about the men, unless a new rivalry emerges.

satine94 likes this.
  14. ToFarAwayTimes

ToFarAwayTimes Active Member

I'm really looking forward to the new season and quad. After all of the problems of the previous season, anonymous judging remains in place, so there are sure to be more rigged competitions with no public accountability for any of the judges. The technical panels will continue to make arbitrary and often intentionally incorrect calls. The same scoring system that has fostered sloppy and unwatchable performances in the past will continue to remain in effect, with undoubtedly the same results. The same man who is not contractually allowed to be president of the sport anymore will still be president of the sport. And very large percentages of fans and skaters the world over have turned their back on figure skating after the scandals of the previous season(s), while other people who rarely get exposed to figure skating and could have potentially been brought into the fold were turned away forever.

Yes, these are very exciting times in the world of figure skating right now.

clairecloutier likes this.
  15. Simone411

Simone411 Just Flip-Flopping Around

I'm even more excited this year than I was last year. I feel so blessed just to be here in the company of so many figure skating fans and skaters. Sometimes we don't realize how blessed we are with just the simple things like the joy of watching figure skating, and I imagine that it's going to be that way for the rest of my life.

Cheers to Figure Skating and to FSU! :40beers: :respec:

16. alchemy void

Cool.

Seriously, why bother watching anymore, then?

kwanatic, DobrinFan, rfisher and 3 others like this.
  17. coppertop1

coppertop1 Active Member

My thoughts exactly. I think it's clear many of us are still excited.

I can't remember a year with so many youngsters coming out. Many won't be eligible for seniors but it really make this quad exciting.

Meoima likes this.
  18. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

I find it highly amusing at those who say they're done with skating, yet they take the time to post on a figure skating board all about how they are done with skating. :rofl: One would think they'd just go find another hobby.

Bring on the skating. You never know who is going to emerge as the next superstar. Russian ladies, including Adelina whom I adore, Russian pairs are very exciting. The US has Gracie and Polina. Japan's stars are in the rebuilding stage, but so was Russia not so long ago and they have enormous depth. I don't care who wins in dance or men so I just watch the skates and hope for well skated competitions.

19. quartz

quartz turn around turn around it's on the other side

I am planning to follow the more obscure skaters, as well, in memory of Ziggy.

skateboy likes this.
  20. misskarne

misskarne #408

Do you ever post about anything other than how your precious Yuna wuzrobbed by eville korrupt Russians?

I am RIDICULOUSLY excited! All of my favourites have GREAT programs this year and Artur has a coaching change and is already happier and Brooklee has a Grand Prix and Brendan landed the quad at Glacier Falls and Liza is looking fantastic already (and I never panic in August) and all of my favourites have good GP assignments and and and and and

Okay, the only sad is that O'Brien/Merriman retired. I really think they could have got a GP this year, especially with all the splits.

Meoima likes this.
  21. Meoima

Meoima Well-Known Member

Your question is, a little bit unnecessary. :biggrinbo And you know what I mean. :2faced: From an attacked victim. :blah:

And yes, I am excited for the next quad as well. I hope Liza will gain back her reputation and give all the ladies with flutz jump a big run for their money. I hope Gachinski will give Kovtun a big run as well. I really wonder who will win Tat's heart this time. :EVILLE: Wanna bet who she will do the politiking for?

Last edited: Aug 23, 2014
  22. coppertop1

coppertop1 Active Member

I am cheering for Liza as well. Everyone is writing her off, but she's only 17 and many of the young girls are not old enough for senior GPs and it remains to be seen how Sotnikova will handle being Olympic Champion and how Pogo will do, so anything is possible.

Two spots for the Russian men, maybe both Gacinski and Kovtun will get them and duke it out also at Worlds?

23. zebraswan

zebraswan Active Member

I'm very excited. A lot of my favorites have retired or are taking time off, but the same is true for some skaters I dislike & was tired of seeing. Some of the young talent coming up is great. I don't get upset about scoring or politicking, it's not worth it to me (though I do find the drama! of it all rather entertaining). Nothing is new under the sun, in that regard. I just enjoy seeing the new programs, the costumes good bad and ugly, and some great skates now and then.

24. Meoima

Meoima Well-Known Member

Liza is having back issue and I don't even sure she can attend the GP series. I like her since she is the only girl with the right edge in all 6 jumps among all the Russian wonder babies. Her jumps are wonder as well. She is too young to be write off. After all she has finished her puberty while others haven't. I wish her all the best.
    The thing about Kovtun that I couldn't bring myself to root for him is his attitude both on and off ice, as well as his not easy to the eyes technique. And not to mention Tat has been favoring him too much for his questionable artistry.

25. shine

shine Well-Known Member

Pretty excited about all the disciplines except for the men, which makes me sad since it really should be my favorite discipline. I hope Denis will be able to make the competition at least somewhat interesting because the thought of Hanyu dominating and winning by huge margins for the next quad just makes me shudder.

26. coppertop1

coppertop1 Active Member

Liza is definitely too young to write off. She's 17. Who else missed the world team one year after and seemed to be written off? Irina Slutskya, and she came back better than ever. Hope she is healthy and makes the world team again. I like her, too. What happened to her happens to everyone, girls mature and have to adjust.
    I heard before Kovtun had an attitude. Maybe training with a rival with tone it down a bit.

27. ToFarAwayTimes

I plan on never watching another IJS competition again, but I like the skaters and will watch the shows, which are actually enjoyable. I presume that when you started this thread you were looking for people to share honest opinions and not just agree with your minority dissent, so hopefully it was ok for me to post in this thread my opinion that is agreed with by a plurality of other respondents.

alchemy void likes this.
  28. ToFarAwayTimes

I am not disagreeing with you, of course you are free to not care about politics and just enjoy what you care to enjoy; however, it should be noted that the politics determine whether you get to enjoy skating at all. If the ISU is sufficiently bankrupt in the future, then it's very likely there will no longer be short programs, or grand prix, etc.

29. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

I voted about the same, because I'm extremely excited about pairs and ladies, more than I've ever been, but my interest in dance and men is near zero.

30. alchemy void

Same here. I am mildly intrigued to see how the dance standings shake out. Only team I'm invested in is B/S...hoping for strong programs this year. I found how classy they were all last season really endearing. Otherwise I can only hope for some fresh ideas and a void or two, which have desperately lacking the past few years.

No, I created the thread to get all opinions, including ones that differ from mine. My question to you was serious (only mildly flippant ;) ) . I find shows and exhibitions generally boring. But I make a concerted effort not to constantly bitch about how lame the Disson shows are, for example. I guess we're just different. :D