How does one get rid of a gun?

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Skittl1321, Feb 18, 2013.

1. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

My husband owns a hunting rifle. He no longer hunts.

How do you get rid of a gun? I mean, you can't list it on craigslist or give it to goodwill. You probably shouldn't throw it away...

I HATE owning a gun. Seriously- I wasn't even allowed water guns as a child. I despise having a gun in my house (though it is about as useful as a baseball bat, since we have never had ammunition in the house.)

Any idea how to get rid of it? Is there a legal way to get money for it?

Because laws probably vary- we live in Iowa.
  2. TheGirlCanSkate

TheGirlCanSkate New Member

Contact a local gun dealer. They will walk you through the process.
  3. Badams

Badams Well-Known Member

Sometimes the police will hold a gun buy back day. At least around here they do. You could also contact the police and ask them how to get rid of it.
  4. PRlady

PRlady aspiring tri-national

Unfortunately, as a private seller, you can sell that gun to anyone without a background check. At a gun show or even through the classified. And you can certainly ask a gun shop if they would take it off your hands for a nominal sum of money.
  5. Skittl1321

Seriously? This is legal? That is sickening...I'm not doing that.

I think I'm going to have to tell DH to start researching if we have gun shops. I've never seen one, and I'm not really interested in going to one. I know sporting goods stores sell guns, but I don't think they buy them used.

Wish our police would do a buy-back. I think they only do those in high crime areas. There are parts of our city where I would be the police wish there were fewer guns, but I live in a pretty small city, so I think most guns around here are for hunting, or the kind that sit in a drawer never used.
  6. ArtisticFan

ArtisticFan Well-Known Member

I opened this thread expecting much more excitement.
  7. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

Yeah, really. :lol:
  8. Skittl1321

Sorry, I want the gun out of my house because I really hate guns. No need to quickly hide it and get rid of evidence here. If I started threads about that, I'd be the worst criminal ever. Surely the police would figure out to go look wherever you all suggested...

Just to evidence why I really hate guns:
    Growing up, I wasn't allowed ANY guns at all. Not even bright pink water guns. Nothing.
    When I was 17, I was invited to go paintballing. I really wanted to go, but my mother was firmly "no guns". She finally relented, saying "okay, you are old enough to make your own decisions" and let me go.
    That was when I broke my neck (laying in a bunker, someone jumped on me).
    So the lessons learned: no guns, and listen to your mother.
  9. Wyliefan

That sounds utterly horrible, and I'm so sorry you had to go through that. :( But I think I'm missing something here, because I'm not quite sure what someone jumping on you during paintball has to do with a hunting rifle. If the person had actually shot you or pistol-whipped you or something, then I'd definitely understand the aversion. But someone could just as easily have jumped on you while playing hide-and-seek or something else unrelated to guns.
  10. MacMadame

MacMadame Internet Beyotch

I am pretty sure if you called your local police station and told them you had a gun in your house you wanted to get rid of, they would take it off your hands no matter whether they had any official programs in the offing. They don't want any loose guns running around their community any more than you do.
  11. DFJ

DFJ Well-Known Member

Why don't you just go down to your local police station and hand it over. You won't get any $$ for it but it'll be out of your house and I'm sure the police will be more than happy to see one less gun in the public domain.

ETA: I see that MacMadame and I had the same brilliant idea.
  12. Wiery

Wiery Well-Known Member

You might call first; I'm not sure that walking into the police station with a hunting rifle is a wonderful idea.
  13. Skittl1321

Just a gun story- the game is played with guns. It has nothing to do with the rifle, but a lot to do with playing games with guns. But yes, I totally realize it was just as likely* to happen sprawled on the living room floor playing Nintendo.

*well, maybe- the ambulance did tell the person elected to ride up front "if I had a dime everytime we came out here, I'd retire a rich man"- I just think generally the injuries are much more minor. And also, before that sounds REALLY insensitive, until my MRIs came back- everyone thought I was just in shock (I guess that explains the temporary paraylsis?) and had a broken wrist (because I was complaining how much it hurt- nerve damage).
    Wiery and (deleted member) like this.
  14. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

Go by the police station and ask to talk to an officer. They will tell you what they can do and what you can do. They came and picked up guns from a friend of mine (her dads, she didn't want to touch them, turned out they were loaded). The police have them locked up atnthe station until she decides what to do with them.
  15. KCC

KCC Active Member

I will have the same problem if I outlive my husband, since he has several guns. And then there is the bullets, powder and reloading equipment and camo coats and pants. Idahoans and their toys. :scream:
  16. Meredith

Meredith what a glorious day!

Do you have a pawn shop in your area? The shop may (don't know for certain) be required to conduct background checks given its volume of sales and purchases of firearms.

If it were me, I'd contact police departments until I found one that willing to destroy the weapon.
  17. Skittl1321

Thanks for the advice. DH is a bit :( on the idea of getting rid of it without making money. Grrr- he doesn't use the thing! And owning it really stresses me out. (He doesn't use his skis either, but I don't care that they are taking up room.)

He's now decided he can take it back with us to Texas and he can give it to his Dad or our BIL. I really don't want it going to either of those people- our BIL has two young kids, and his parents house is where their main childcare takes place. They don't need guns in their homes either. (To my knowledge, there are not any right now.) I also don't want it in the car for a 17 hour drive to Texas. Guns make me nervous, even when they aren't loaded. I'm not sure why...
  18. zaphyre14

zaphyre14 Well-Known Member

I turned my father's police pistol in to the police department he retired from. They were happy to get it and it's now mounted in a display case inside the station as a tribute to the officers who served in the past. I also turn over any stray bullets I find around around the house. God knows what my father used them for but every so often I find a couple in a drawer or a box around his old workbench in the basement. I just want them out of the house.
  19. Susan1

Susan1 Active Member

That's what I did when I found an old gun my dad had here when I inherited the house. It was wrapped in a towel in the back of the linen closet, so it's not like he was keeping it around for protection or anything. I actually remember that he bought it from a guy he worked with back in the 70's and he shot it off into the air on New Year's Eve once. I explained this to the police. He said I should take it to a gun dealer or pawn shop and sell it. It was not even registered or anything. Uh, this was back in 2008 so maybe things weren't as strict back then. But I said I was not going to drive anywhere with an unregistered gun in my car!!!! He checked that it was not loaded and took it with him (along with a full box of bullets - minus one). I got his name and everything and told other people about it at the time in case the gun turned up related to a crime and they came for me. ha ha
  20. Wyliefan

Hon, it's not going to go off if you look at it funny. Especially if it's unloaded. I promise. :)
  21. Wyliefan

Hon, it's not going to go off if you look at it funny. Especially if it's unloaded. I promise. :)
  22. Skittl1321

Yeah, but what if as we are driving through another state their legislature passes a law that makes it illegal to have it without a license, and then we are pulled over by a cop for speeding and they find that we have a gun in the car?
  23. Norlite

Norlite New Member

Hon?
  24. Skittl1321

I just assumed Wyliefan was a sassy southern lady.
  25. Wyliefan

Well, if Northern Virginia counts as the south. We're sort of right on the border. :) No, it's probably just that I'm turning into my mother, who calls everyone "Honey" whether she's known them for five seconds or fifty years.
  26. DFJ

DFJ Well-Known Member

Oh, good point.
  27. Stormy

Stormy Well-Known Member

As you're driving through a state, a law just happens to pass RIGHT THEN? Is that what you're asking? And do cars normally get searched for guns if you get pulled over for speeding? And how often do you even get pulled over for speeding? You are needlessly stressing on this one. :)

Remember, a gun is an object just like any other object. If it's unloaded and locked, then it's perfectly safe. It's not going to attack anyone. You do have a lock for it, right? And a case that locks? I'm not sure of your state's laws, but if you have all your proper permits/documentation and it's locked and in a locked case, you should be fine driving with it. But in all honesty, if you're this stressed about it, call your police department today and they will advise you.
  28. AxelAnnie

AxelAnnie Well-Known Member

I would think you could walk into any police station and tell them you dont know how to get rid of it and hand it over fir disposal. poof. done.
  29. Skate Talker

Skate Talker Well-Known Member

I located an old gun of my father's in the back of a wardrobe and contacted the local police department. (This was while my father was still alive but not in possession of all his faculties.) They sent a constable out to the house and although my mother said it was barely powerful enough to do damage to a squirrel, the officer was as serious as he could possibly be, checking it out, writing a detailed report that I had to sign and then thankfully removing it from the house for good.