How do you pronounce "Alaine Chartrand"?

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by seabm7, Jan 21, 2013.

1. seabm7

seabm7 Active Member

The names of Canadian skaters are sometimes very confusing to me: English, French, or English+French?

For example, how do I pronounce "Alaine Chartrand"? I heard both English and French versions in the youtube clips, so I want to know which version is correct.

2. rvi5

rvi5 Active Member

When announcing her name at the rink, they introduced her as...

SOUNDS LIKE... a-lane shar-tron ...but there is a bit of an accent on the "tron" which is hard to explain in writing. It was more like "trawn".

I guess the proper way, is whatever she calls herself. Since I have never heard her say her own name, I don't know what that would be.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2013
  3. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

It's a French name, so it should be given a French pronunciation, and the final "d" should be silent.

It sounds something like this: "Ah-LEN SHAR-trahn." The french word "laine" (meaning "wool") does not sound like the English word "lane," it sounds more like the first syllable in "Leonard."

I think posting this link should work: http://translate.google.com/?hl=en&tab=wT#en/fr/Alaine Chartrand. If you click on the appropriate symbol on the right side, you should be able to hear the correct pronunciation.

4. danafan

danafan Canadian ladies ├╝ber

It depends if she's French Canadian or not.
    I wouldn't trust the announcers. They called Daleman "Gabriel" like the boy's name.

5. seabm7

seabm7 Active Member

Thank you, all of you.

6. Connolly22

Connolly22 New Member

rvi5 is correct. Her name is pronounced A-lane, like Elaine, but with an A. Chartrand can be pronounced either way - Shar Tran or Shar-Tron. Alaine herself is not French, nor are her parents, but family on the Chartrand side is. When her mother named her, she liked the French pronounciation of the name Helen -(pronounced ayh-len) since the H is silent. So she created an english spelling that would sound the similar, but we have always called her A-lane. Alaine herself doesn't mind either pronunciation, but as her family we think it should be pronounced A-lane when in competition. I am her Aunt!

7. professordeb

professordeb Well-Known Member

Her aunt!! How cool. I thought her first name was pronounced correctly but did wonder how she might prefer her last name said. I know a couple of people here who are English speaking with that last name and they always seemed to pronounces as Shar-tran. Since one of those was a lacrosse player, I just called him Charts!

8. seabm7

seabm7 Active Member

Thank you, Connolly22!