How Do You Parents Do It?

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Rob, Aug 3, 2011.

1. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

This is just a "hats off" to you parents! I just spent less than 2 days with my niece (7 years old) and nephew (4 1/2 years old), and I am exhausted!!!!!! I get 2 days off and then they will be back, this time with my other niece (9) and nephew (12). They are totally sweet, spirited but not overly rambunctious or misbehaving (well, boy gets cranky, but he's 4), only loud sometimes (not all the time), not grabby at all, and they don't argue about going to bed. And they like to read!!! So these ones are pretty darn easy, and I am still exhausted!!!!! Just a shout out to those of you who do this full time!!!!!

2. mag

mag Well-Known Member

Thanks! Just remember, most of us get broken in gradually - one at a time, you get them when they are really small and can't run around. There is also all the newness of staying with Aunt Rob and probably wanting to do stuff with you. I've been know to tell my kids to "go away" when I'm tired. They know that means it is time to make themselves scarce and stay out of trouble - mommy's had enough.

3. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

Well, the girl can actually sing (seriously good voice even with no training) so she sings songs for us quite a bit. And the boy loves to play his kiddie bongo drums which his parents would not let him bring (thank you, thank you) so his chosen substitute for his bongo drums seems to be my butt. I have to watch out behind me.

4. KatieC

KatieC Going in circles

I always admired the energy parents had, and then I realized I had extra energy too, when I was looking after my parents. I came to the conclusion you have it when you really need it. But I still admire what parents do. My cats don't require anywhere near as much attention. :)

5. Wiery

Wiery Well-Known Member

Thanks! My husband and I have a 17 year-old and a 7 year-old. What doesn't kill us makes us stronger. :lol:

6. numbers123

numbers123 Well-Known Member

As mag said most of us get "broken in" or eased into it. All ages require energy - just at different levels. And when you are being Aunt or Uncle the kids start out on best behavior because they like you :) But I also think that the experience gives you a look into the window to see what it is like to have children.
    Thanks for complimenting us parents about something that is not often understood by those without children.

7. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

I admire parents too. Time with kids can be wonderful, but it also can be intense.

8. Hannahclear

Hannahclear Well-Known Member

I have a one year old and I'm just now getting this thing down. It's sure not easy.

9. Holley Calmes

Holley Calmes Well-Known Member

Oh boy, Rob, you too? I have 3.5 and a 1 year old grandsons, and both are a handful separately much less together! The older one is a perpetual motion machine. The younger will not sleep unless he is being held (during the day.) I am going to take care of them (Granny Camp!) in mid-September. Any and all suggestions are appreciated! I've done this before, but not when both were walking/running. At least the oldest is practically toilet trained. I hope.

But enjoy-there's nothing as wonderful as these little ones. I treasure them through the backaches and frayed nerves. And getting squirted by the backyard hose.

10. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

I take care of my 88 year old mother, and sometimes I would swear she's 4, but most of the time I don't have to tell her to move the rocking chair before it starts banging into a a sliding glass door or watch her try to do a cartwheel 50 times in a row or listen to her sing Miley Cyrus songs over and over and over....... I need a nap.

I am looking forward to having the 9 year old and the 12 year old along for the ride. They are very responsible kids and very active so they will play chase with the younger ones for me. I can just stay alert and make sure no-one falls off a cliff.

11. euterpe

euterpe Well-Known Member

In my experience, 9- and 12-year-olds are more apt to tease 7- and 4.5-year-olds than they are to play with them.

12. numbers123

numbers123 Well-Known Member

Holley - my grandchildren are both under 2 and I watch them every week (various days). What I did that makes it more manageable is to have one or two rooms that I have them in. Of course it means that I am also restricted to those rooms, but it makes life simpler. I know that they can only go so far, all the toys are in those 2 rooms. I have a designated floor pad to change diapers, as lifting is too much for me. I try to make their meals ahead of the day - that way they are ready to go when they become hungry and there is little to no waiting time for them to cook.
    Dole and Walmart have individual squeezable applesauce packages - fun snack and not so messy. I plan some outdoor time, but at times need both grandparents to manage that - particularly if they want to play in the front yard. (I do have a double stroller, but when it is hot out, that is too hot to ride in.) The indoor malls generally have a play yard, but again might take 2 grandparents to manage.
    I have a few more ideas if you need them.

13. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

Hee!! I'm in awe of anyone who has more than 1 kid--that one nearly killed both me and dh!! Lot of adjustment. And I have friends with 4 and 5 kids who just take everything in stride and it just amazes me. Along with the "broken in gradually" theory already posited, I think there are some people who just have a knack for living with the craziness. Not so much here! We love our one dearly but alas, she'll be an only child.

14. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

That would have been so true of my brother's son at age 12. A real wise guy. These ones are my husband's brothers' kids, and they are so sweet in comparison. The 9 year old is like a little mommy - she totes our godson (my 26 year old nephew's son - he's in Mexico) around like her baby when she's there. Our nieces and nephews range in age from one on the way to 26!

15. skatemommy

skatemommy Well-Known Member

Aw blessings to you Rob. As said above - what doesn't kill you makes you stronger. At that age, parks with swings and play castles are your best friend! So is feeding ducks, petting zoos, museums, and wading pools. Chuckie Cheese's, McDonald's playlands and the county animal rescue always was a fun field trip for my now TEENAGER!

16. Holley Calmes

Holley Calmes Well-Known Member

I'm sure I will! In fact, I might keep you on emergency email during Granny Camp. Those were GREAT suggestions, and I really appreciate them. Thanks so much!

17. victoriajh

victoriajh Well-Known Member

yup at least here in my pad that is the case!!

yes you do get it gradually BUT it changes all the time!! my three (especially im summer-) keep me hopping-no rest for the wicked!!!

18. euterpe

euterpe Well-Known Member

In my experience, 9- and 12-year-olds are more apt to tease 7- and 4.5-year-olds than they are to play with them.

19. skategal

skategal Bunny slave

Three months ago today we adopted our son (9 months old at the time) from Thailand. The last three months have been a whirlwind....I'm not sure we got eased in gradually as he was on the move from day one. But he is a darling...we love him to death. :)

And yes, I have NO IDEA how parents do it who have more than one child.

Kudos to parents!! :cheer2:

20. skatemommy

skatemommy Well-Known Member

^ skategal, congrats! If he is not walking yet, you need a Johnny Jumper and a Exersaucer! Only way I could take a shower (save the travelyard) by myself. (Hubby is a pilot...)

21. Really

Really No longer just a "well-known member" Yay!

Congratulations, skategal!

Yes, little ones can be a handful. That's why I won't take both granddaughters at the same time -- yet. One is just potty training, and the other hasn't started yet. I don't mind having them both here if one of the parents is also here, but not on my own! Already been there, done that! ;)

22. Andrushka

Andrushka Well-Known Member

Thanks...I have a 5&4 yr old.They are my weightloss plan LOL ;) Keeps me going 24/7.

23. mag

mag Well-Known Member

Congrats skategal! When they are little it is difficult, but when they get older they have company with a sibling. I realize that doesn't always work out, especially if they are too close or too far apart in age, but mine get along well (at least until they don't :) ) Seriously, my experience, and what I have read, is if you can space them three school years apart you have a fighting chance that they will end up good buddies.

24. Badams

Badams Well-Known Member

I have 3 kids; 9, 5,and 2. This mom is stressed to the max and is in serious need of a vacation. Which I will never get.:lol: But just a few hours of no fighting, arguing, messes, illness, drama, exhaustion, crying...that would be nice too. I think I need to ask for a raise.;)

25. myhoneyhoney

myhoneyhoney Well-Known Member

as a mom to kids ages 6,8,11,12 I say... THANK YOU, ROB!!! Props to YOU for watching your nieces and nephew!

BTW, I agree that sometimes it's easier to have more than one because that way, they can play together and entertain each other at least long enough so one is able to run and pee. :eek::slinkaway

26. Civic

Civic New Member

As one of my aunts would say, "Those little people can work you."

27. Sunshine Lizzie

Sunshine Lizzie Active Member

I have a 1 year old and expecting my second, they will be exactly 1,5 years apart... the fun starts in November ;-)

28. skategal

skategal Bunny slave

Thanks everyone...

Yes, we have the exersaucer. It's the only way I get to use the bathroom when he is not sleeping... :lol: I try to save the showers for when he is napping. Thank goodness for naptime. :D

29. quartz

quartz turn around turn around it's on the other side

LOL!!! I thought this thread was going to be about asking parents how we "do IT", as in, how we find time to be, you know, like intimate......

30. FigureSpins

FigureSpins New Member

I think parenting twins was easier than handling siblings that are close in age, but at different development stages. Get organized.

That's really how parents do it, for the most part: they're organized and they plan. Exersaucers for bathroom runs, play dates at the park to wear them down, showers during naptime.

There are some parents who are overwhelmed on a regular basis and I have sympathy for them, especially single parents who don't have a good support network.