How do you "kitten-proof" your apartment?

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by JerseySlore, Mar 27, 2011.

1. Kruss

Kruss Not Auto-Tuned

Thanks for your suggestion!

I didn't realize they actually sell doorjamb protectors for workmen to make sure they don't scratch up homes/offices where they're working. I may investigate something like that and attach it a bit more permanently, so that Amber the Conquorer doesn't pull it away.

2. Capella

Capella Guest

Oh, I thought of something else--razors. When I got my second kitten, he thought the pretty-colored plastic thing on the edge of the bathtub made cool sounds as he chased it around the tub. Unfortunately, I didn't put the cap back on it. :( Came home from work and bloody paw prints all over the bathroom. (Fortunately superficial, but still a scary sight!)

3. immoimeme

immoimeme my posts r modded

Cats are hunters, so anything that looks like a bug or a worm or a bird or a fly is attractive to kittens (and cats). Put whatever it is away/out of reach.

When Mollie arrived it was the computer cords that most interested her. I bundled them up in those computer cord cover thingies as much as I could but also I NEVER let her near the computer unless I was actively using it, and of course I unplugged it when I wasn't using it.

Mollie taught my old cats how to flush the toilet. I had to adjust the flusher thingie so that only I could flush it.

Mollie is very very small even at 4 years old so I always make sure there is NOTHING laying about that she can crawl into. NOTHING.

My house is pretty geared towards the comfort and safety of my cats, I admit it.

4. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

We've always had cats, including one who came to us at 6 weeks old, and who at almost 3 years, is still crazy.

Cautions:
    • Agree completely about anything resembling string - been there, done that, paid the enormous vet bill
    • Unplug (don't just turn off) anything with exposed cords when you are not in the room
    • Be sure to have the number and location of a 24-hour emergency vet contact handy - better safe than sorry
    • Get them fixed - even if they never go outside - as soon as the vet allows it
    Suggestions:
    • Give them lots of stuff to play with, which should distract them (at least part of the time!) from your stuff - big favourites are ping pong balls, wadded up balls of tin foil, and wine corks
    • Provide a nice sunny spot to sleep - a windowsill or chair is ideal
    • As soon as the vet says it's OK, start clipping their nails (for your furniture and yourself) - when our little guy came to us I started playing with his toes right from the beginning, and now I can clip all four paws in less than a minute (recommend nail clipping scissors) - our older and otherwise docile cat did not get this early on, and she's really hard to clip

5. Wiery

Wiery Well-Known Member

:rofl: Sounds like our cat...she's up on the roof chasing squirrels half the day; sounds like a herd of elephants... :rolleyes:

6. acraven

acraven Well-Known Member

It's great to get two kittens, but in my experience that increases the risk of damage to breakables. A single cat is usually pretty graceful and won't knock over very many things it can see ahead of time--unless it views the object as a toy, of course. Two cats chasing each other around, though, are a different story. Mine destroyed several pieces of pottery while they were playing. Definitely move glassware, porcelain, and the like to spots behind closed doors.

If your friend keeps houseplants, it's important to be sure they aren't poisonous to cats. Poinsettias, for example, are a no-no.

7. JerseySlore

JerseySlore Active Member

Why can't cats just stick to edible things? :(
    I'm this close to offering daily house cleaning to my friend. She's always got so many scrunchies and all kinds of strings on her floor :yikes:

8. Patsy

Patsy Active Member

Add wrapping ribbon to the list of "string like things".

Oh, and be sure, if you have hot air heat, that all covers over access to all the vents are in place.

9. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

Adding drawstrings to string-like-things. I came home one day when my girl was about 5 months old to find that she'd found her way into the (closed) closet, pulled the drawstrings out of 3 jackets that had been hanging up, and was in the process of knitting herself a cat's cradle with them. Luckily she was more of a string player & chewer than swallower (aside from that one Christmas with the tinsel ... never again ... )

But the main things to remember are that 1. kittens are utterly and completely batsh#t insane and 2. they (mostly) grow out of it.

10. Artemis@BC

11. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

12. sk8pics

sk8pics Well-Known Member

This. When I got Leo he was about 3 months old and totally crazy.:lol: This did not please my older cat, Callie. And now almost 5 years later he is showing very little sign of any maturity. Fortunately neither of them has ever bothered the toilet paper.

The most annoying habit of Leo, though, is that he likes to play with water. So, if he is not pleased with his dinner choice, he is likely to carry a piece of it over to his water bowl and drop the piece in and then "go fishing." :lol: For awhile I had one of those water cooler type bowls, so the big reservoir of water was upside down in one section and then there was another section that the cats would drink out of. The only problem was, Leo would start splashing in the water and then dragging the bowl(s) across the floor. Well, that would splash water onto the floor but it would keep refilling from the reservoir. So Leo thought that was great fun because he had basically an infinite supply of water. :rolleyes: I finally had to get rid of the reservoir part because I would come home to find giant puddles on the floor. Sigh. He still plays with water but gets majorly affronted if any water drips on his head, like if I'm doing dishes and he happens to be under my feet.

13. Erica Lee

Erica Lee New Member

• My cats often play with wadded up balls of paper; however, I'd always thought that tin foil was a no-no???? (Not sure where I got that idea, so no idea how accurate it is.)

14. Kruss

Kruss Not Auto-Tuned

Wow, that's my KC to a T! She loves playing in the water. I had to get a ceramic water bowl, which she still spilled water out of. I put it into a small washtub, she'd push the bowl to splash the water out of it and then drink it from the bottom of the tub. Now her water bowl has to stay in the bathtub so that she doesn't ruin the floor or carpeting.

She likes to watch the water go down the drain, and loves to slop her big paws in the water. It's so funny how much she hates a water spray bottle, but otherwise loves being wet. As she jumps out of the bathtub, she literally leaves huge sopping wet kitty footprints on the rug. :rolleyes: :lol:

15. PrincessLeppard

PrincessLeppard Pink Bitch

16. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

Depends on the cat. Our kitten never ate the string or toys she played with no matter how small they were. But yeah, to be safest, assume that they will eat it. :p

OMG yes I forgot! We've given up on reinstalling the mesh in our sliding screen door because the kitten would bash right through it and end up outside. :rofl: One time she escaped and I came home to see the TOP HALF of the screen door flapping in the wind. I found her shortly just outside the backyard and when she saw me, she slinked guiltily back into the yard and started to climb up the mutilated screen door...which answered my question as to how the top half came to be loose. What was hilarious was that I tried to pluck her off the screen door so I could bring her in myself, and she meowed and hung on as if to say, "I can do it myself! I got out this way, I can get back in this way!"

Oh, cats. :rofl:

17. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Never heard that - we always wad them up quite tightly, and they become almost smooth with play so no bits to break off and swallow. I can't remember ever seeing them attempt to chew them or even carry them in their mouths - they just bat them around.

18. Beefcake

Beefcake Guest

Get a puppy ;), that's how! :dog:

Dogz Rule!!!! :kickass:

19. Artemis@BC

^ Yeah, because there are no issues whatsover with puppies chewing, peeing, chewing, klutzing, and chewing. :lol:

20. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Don't forget the drooling!

21. Beefcake

Beefcake Guest

:p But, the house is totally kitten-proof, no? My work here is done.

Besides, klutzing is adorable. :swoon:

and Whippets don't drool ... how dare she?!

22. Artemis@BC

Well, I'll give you that one. Esp. with the breeds where the puppies are born with adult-dog-sized paws -- oh so cute!

23. JerseySlore

JerseySlore Active Member

Trust me, that's what I've been telling her. :shuffle:
    She said "but doggies drop massive turd everywhere" :rofl::confused:

24. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

That's one thing I'll give cats. Give a kitten a litter box and she'll know what to do with it. Takes a lot more work to train a puppy. :p

25. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

And smelling like a wet dog...