How do you feel about wearing fur?

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by triple_toe, Dec 26, 2010.

?

Would you wear fur if you had the option?

1. YES! It's comfy, and it would keep me warm and make me look tiffed!

20 vote(s)
    22.7%
  2. YES! It is more environmentally friendly than faux fur and synthetics

6 vote(s)
    6.8%
  3. NO! It is cruel and morally unjustifiable

32 vote(s)
    36.4%
  4. NO! It is tacky/I just don't like it

16 vote(s)
    18.2%
  5. I would only wear fur if it is vintage or used

14 vote(s)
    15.9%
  1. triple_toe

triple_toe Well-Known Member

Hi all, hope you've had a very happy holiday season!

Today in our Christmas merriment, I got a present from my grandmother: a beautiful fur hat. The hat was new, and has stunningly soft fox fur. I've never owned any fur before, and never thought about buying it, mostly because it is so expensive.

Wearing fur is obviously a dilemma for for some, but I haven't given it much thought because I've never had the option. I honestly don't care whether others wear it, it's none of my business.

Somehow, though, wearing fur seems to have a stigma attached to it which makes me unsure of whether I want to wear the hat or not. I'd feel guilty. I understand the argument about cruelty to animals, but that doesn't sit comfortably with me when I have no problem wearing leather, eating meat, or using goose down comforters (I know geese usually aren't killed exclusively for down, and sometimes they aren't killed at all). I would feel like a bit of a hypocrite if I just gave up the easiest thing I could and patted myself on the back for being a friend to the animals.

There's also the fact that faux-fur and similar synthetics aren't biodegradable and will be sitting in a landfill for many, many years. Fur, on the other hand, is an organic material and will break down.

On a more shallow and materialistic note, the fur is absolutely gorgeous. It's very very tempting to wear something so soft and warm, especially on these freezing winter nights we have here.

I'm not necessarily asking for advice about my specific situation, or for anyone to justify my decision if I do end up using the hat. I'm simply interested in your views on fur. I know this is a heated topic, so I hope I haven't opened up too much of a can of worms. If I have, I apologize.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2010
  2. Gazpacho

Gazpacho Well-Known Member

I have never been an environment and do not know anyone who lives in an environment where I could justify wearing traditionally produced fur clothing.

I understand that for some places, such as some in Siberia, fur is the only material both warm enough and easily available, so fur is pretty much a practical necessity. I have no problems with people there wearing fur.

3. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

A good fur coat will last a lifetime if properly cared for. I wouldn't buy one now, but I have a 30 year old coat that I had reconditioned a couple of years ago and it's looks great. Living in the climate that I live in, there's nothing warmer for those verrrrrry cold days. So I guess you could say that my coat is vintage (same as me :lol:)

4. PrincessLeppard

PrincessLeppard Pink Bitch

While I think wearing fur is disgusting and would never do it, this was a gift. You didn't buy it yourself. If you want to wear it, I'm not going to berate you or throw red paint on you. (though I might've in my younger, less tolerant days. :shuffle: )

5. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

I think it depends on what kind of fur it is. If it's fur from baby harp seals or endangered animals then no I wouldn't wear it. If it's fur from farm raised animals like rabbits then I would wear it.

Enjoy if if you like it. Don't let anyone try to bully you into not wearing it.

6. Cupid

Cupid Well-Known Member

I have a leather jacket and shoes and purses and think nothing of it, and most people don't although some will say if you won't wear fur you also shouldn't wear leather.

I do have a beaver-trimmed coat and a racoon-trimmed jacket that are absolutely beautiful and I do feel uneasy about wearing them.

I was offered a full-length mink coat by a co-worker because it didn't fit her (she said she would give it to me for free, but if I accepted it, I would have given her something), but I wouldn't want that.

7. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

Voted vintage, but it's not safe to wear fur in this area as the PETA folks are more than happy to attack you with spray paint.

8. mmscfdcsu

mmscfdcsu Skating Pairs with Drew

I won't wear it and I hate to see it. Yes, hypocrite I am. I eat meat and wear leather. Fur is not needed for warmth here in Cleveland.

9. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

Oh yes ! I love it ! :p

10. orientalplane

orientalplane Mad for mangelwurzels

And meat is not needed for good health either.

11. ice dance

ice dance Member

I was just going to ask this very question! I was looking through the Loro Piana winter catalogue the other day and noticed that a number of their products used fur. Is fur coming back in to fashion? Was it ever out of fashion?
    Anyway, I have no problem with humanely produced fur. I eat meat and wear leather. Fur lasts longer than either of those.
    If you want to wear the hat, go for it. It sounds lovely.

12. Allen

Allen Glad to be back!

I choose not to wear fur, but I think it's a decision individuals have to make for themselves. That said, I think fur coats are fabulous looking. Viktoria Volchkova in particular had a fabulous one on today at Russian Nations.

13. FiveRinger

FiveRinger Well-Known Member

I have furs that I inherited from my mother and grandmother after their passing. I have never worn them, just because they seem so matronly. I keep them for sentimental reasons. But, I don't think that I would buy a fur of my own. They are way too dressy for my casual tastes.

But, I think that wearing furs (or not) is a personal choice. I would never impose my point of view on someone else, so I don't hold it against those who wear them. But they just aren't for me.

14. backspin

backspin Active Member

I bought a bunny-lined hat last year that is absolute heaven when walking the dog on a sub-zero day.

I think I'd probably wear other fur too, though like you it's never been under consideration because it's too expensive.

I bought a "fur" vest at a consignment shop this year--I'm fairly sure it's synthetic, though the label is of an actual furrier & it says only use dry cleaning for fur to clean it. I've worn it a few times & love it, real or not.

15. Bonita

Bonita Active Member

I have two gorgeous, intelligent house rabbits who live and act just like cats, they are no different at all. Would you wear cat fur? To me wearing rabbit fur (or any fur, for that matter) is absolutely reprehensible. Rabbits raised for fur live in absolute misery and die a very inhumane death.

16. dinakt

dinakt Well-Known Member

I voted vintage. I have worn a vintage coat from the 50ies with a fur trim to a fancy event. But that's absolutely where it stops. I was gifted a mink coat some time ago and just could not wear it- returned it to the giver so she could sell it. I would not wear fur and would not buy fur, with the rarest exceptions- and I think as I get older the exceptions disappear, as well.
    Leather is trickier- I wear leather shoes and think as long as cattle is killed, all of it should be used. But then, I am leaning towards being vegetarian- and if I go all the way, leather might become problematic- but it has important practical use, unlike fur. Leather shoes are truly better...

17. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

Rabbits can also become nuisance pest in some part of the world.

Proof ?

18. Bonita

Bonita Active Member

19. BittyBug

BittyBug Kiteless

It is indeed. On its original owner.

20. nubka

nubka Well-Known Member

21. rjblue

rjblue Re-registered User

I would buy or wear a fur coat from farmed fur, or hunted fur like seal. I'm a little less sanguine about wearing furs obtained through trapping.

22. genegri

genegri Active Member

I don't like the look of a full fur coat. But it doesn't bother me one bit to see other people wear them. I am not an animal person.

I received a leather jacket as a gift years ago and it has a fur collar and I have been wearing it for many a winter. I don't know if collar is real, nor do I care.

23. Bonita

Bonita Active Member

24. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

The purpose of the web site that you referenced is to scare/intimidate the designer and the public from wearing rabbit fur. Of course they're going to pick the worst case scenario and display it to the public. I'm sure there are animals raised for meat that are mistreated too, but I don't believe it happens everywhere. You just have to be more conscientious as to whom you buy meat and fur from, etc.

To answer nubka's question... No, I'm not a vegetarian.

25. rjblue

rjblue Re-registered User

Wild harvested fish is the thing that make me feel the most guilt to eat. It takes so long for fish to die in the hold of a ship, and they are very pain sensitive.

I don't wear leather, because I don't like the cold feel of it. My husband got leather seating for his car, and I think I'm going to get a cloth seat cover for it.

26. Satellitegirl

Satellitegirl New Member

I don't have a problem with vintage furs, but I think furs in general are created by extremely cruel means, so I voted that.

27. Bonita

Bonita Active Member

OMG, I had no idea, shudder. Must research.

rjblue and (deleted member) like this.
  28. Andrushka

Andrushka New Member

I have a fur coat and a collar that goes on a cashmere coat that is fur.both furs are vintage.I have no problems with fur being worn or wearing it.

29. MacMadame

MacMadame Cat Lady-in-Training

I think for most people, in most places in the world, fur is unnecessary. This makes it different from eating meat, which human beings were designed to do and is the easiest way to get your protein in. (Plus, for some people, their protein needs are high enough that it's pretty much impossible to meet them without at least animal by-products.)

It's also no hardship to give up fur. Therefore, not giving it up, when it's easy and a luxury, and the animals it's made from are not being used for anything else seems wrong to me. I'd feel differently about fur that came from an animal that was slaughtered for its meat, but that's not how we do things in the modern world.