How do you eat a pomegranate (and enjoy it)?

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Vash01, Nov 4, 2012.

1. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Sasha

I have had a pomegranate tree in my backyard for many years. I have enjoyed the fruit for many years and often gave away some to family, friends and coworkers. Recently, a couple of my friends told me that they have never eaten a pomegranate, and they did not know how to eat it. So I gave them a 'sample' - one or two pomegranates- and told them how I eat it. Then the question came up- do you eat the seeds too?

I have never eaten the seeds; I squeeze out the juice in my mouth and throw away the seeds. Am I missing something? Someone posted on my facebook that the seeds are not only edible but they are sweet and tart. Anyone has experience with this?

Because of its hard skin, I normally cut the fruit into small pieces (about 1 to 1.5 inch), and then eat those, without the skin, and throw away the seeds after taking the juice out. More recently I started collecting all the pink/red inside of the fruit in a large plastic container. I refrigerate it and take out portions in smaller containers to take to work. I can eat them with a spoon without dirtying my hands. I like this way to enjoy the fruit better. Actually I can't stop eating it.

In the past, I have also squeezed out juice in a juicer, when I had such large quantities (and right now I do) that there was no way I could finish it. The juice is delicious and I am considering buying an inexpensive juicer.

Any recommendations on how to enjoy this delicious and healthy fruit?

2. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

i love it. i put the seeds in salads when i have them. i put the juice in my sangria. i make a lot of sangria.

milanessa and (deleted member) like this.
  3. mkats

mkats New Member

I'm with you, Vash. I don't eat the seeds either, although when I told my Boyfriend that he looked at me like I had two heads. Apparently you're supposed to just crunch them and eat them, but I couldn't do it...

I'm jealous that you have a pomegranate tree! My grandparents' downstairs neighbor (they were in an apartment) had one when I was a kid and I was always so disappointed that we'd never get to visit them during harvest season, that whenever I was there they were always just hard green balls.

4. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

I eat the seeds. I snack on them like any pieces of fruit or I sprinkle them on salad. I do find extracting the seeds to be too much work for relatively not too much seeds in return.

5. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

Unless I'm drinking pomegranate juice, which should obviously be seedless, I eat the seeds too. I like the texture. But the key to enjoying a pomegranate is to get someone else to do the prep work - rather like with a pomelo ;)

6. fan

fan Active Member

what's the easiest way to de-seed a pomegranate?

7. TheGirlCanSkate

TheGirlCanSkate Active Member

Vash01 and (deleted member) like this.
  8. Lacey

Lacey Well-Known Member

I purchase just the seeds in small containers at the farmer's market. They last a long time in fridge. Eat with fish and chicken like a relish. Supposed to be a cancer fighter!

9. Vash01

:lol:

Interesting! Thanks for the tip. I cut them with a knife into smaller pieces, then remove the seeds by hand.

I have not tried these, but my gut says a freshly picked fruit, cut at home, would be tastier. I do get tons of them off my tree, so why buy something outside?

10. Angelskates

Angelskates Well-Known Member

I love pomegranate and I have the seeds in salads.

11. CantALoop

CantALoop Well-Known Member

I don't eat the seeds - I find them too bitter to enjoy

12. AragornElessar

AragornElessar Well-Known Member

We also use it in salads. I got an awesome Spinach salad that uses the seeds as a huge part of the recipe off of the Food Network's website last year. Considering we had a bunch of people here for Deer Season and this thing makes up a huge salad, it was perfect timing for something this big. There wasn't much of it left either. It's become a favourite here for when we have a huge gathering or when we're headed to a Potluck.

I know there's a copy of it in Mom's binder of recipes. I'll have to go looking for it if anyone's interested.

We also eat the seeds in various ways. On vanilla ice cream, mixed in Greek Yogurt, mixed in our Oatmeal. It's really good paired w/Peach Slices if you mix it w/your Oatmeal BTW.

We really love Pommies and can't wait for them to start showing up in the stores more now since it's getting close to Holiday Time.

13. Spinner

Spinner Where's my book?

14. Vash01

Yes, I would like to know the recipe. Thanks.

Awesome! It looks so easy! Now I must try this. :)

15. Twilight1

Twilight1 Well-Known Member

I just ate my first one last week though I have drank the juice for a long time. I didn't eat the bitter seed part tried but just couldn't do it.

16. AragornElessar

Vash, give me till tomorrow to find it, as the parents have gone to bed and I'm not sure where her recipe binder of Net recipes is exactly. Me making noise while looking for it would not go over well right now.

17. Vash01

No problem. Take your time. Thanks. :)

18. Vash01

I picked about 12-13 pomegranates off my tree this morning, then I found more than a dozen in my refrigerator. So I took some to work to share. The birds have eaten many, and yet I got plenty. Lucky me!

19. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

How big does a pomegranate tree grow? Does it grow unruly if you don't prune it?

20. Vash01

Orbitz, I am not good at guessing heights of trees, but mine could be around 15-20 ft tall. It grew from a 6-7 ft tall tree when it was planted. The branches are thickly covered with leaves and fruit. It does get pruned every year, once the fruit is gone. Otherwise it could grow unruly. I don't remember exactly when my yard guy prunes it. I am guessing it's probably in summer, but I could be way off.

21. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

I eat the seeds.

22. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

How does one avoid eating the seeds? Spit them out?

Vash01, how do you get the fruit off the tree if it's that tall? Are there low branches? Do you climb a ladder? Do you wait for them to fall?

23. liv

liv Well-Known Member

Oh my gosh, up until now i thought the only thing you ate from a pomegranate WAS the seeds :D

24. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

i only buy them for the seeds. i love the seeds. i use the juice because i have it but i dont really like juice that much.

25. Vash01

Yes, I squeeze out the juice from the seeds in my mouth, then I spit them out (I always keep a container near me to eat the Poms :)

I cannot reach the fruit that is high up. There is plenty of low hanging fruit/branches that I can pick very easily. Usually the fruit that is on the ground is not good (overripe or eaten by birds). Even if I used my stepping stool, I won't be able to reach the fruit that is high.

Yes, the fruit is filled with juicy seeds. I take out the juice but not eat the left over seeds. However, after reading so many responses, I may try eating the whole thing next time (not the skin though).

26. TheGirlCanSkate

TheGirlCanSkate Active Member

27. AragornElessar

As promised, here's that Salad recipe...

The Perfect Pomegranate and Spinach Salad

Ingrediants

Salad

5-6 C (one container) of baby spinach leaves, chopped if full size leaves
    1/3 C fresh cilantro leaves, chopped or 1/3 C parsley
    1 C pomegranate seeds (the seeds from one pomegranate)
    1/3 C pine nuts, toasted (we used coarsely chopped walnuts)
    1/4 C red onion, sliced (optional)

Salad Dressing

4 Tablespoons olive oil
    4 Tablespoons apple cider vinegar
    2 teaspoons honey
    freshly ground pepper to taste (salt too if you use it)

Directions

Salad

1. In a large bowl, combine all salad ingredients and toss.

2. Pour dressing over salad, toss again, and serve.

Salad Dressing

1. In a jar, combine dressing ingredients and shake well.

2. Once combined well, pour over salad, toss and enjoy!!

As I said, this is a go to dish in our house for when we've got a big gathering here or going to a potluck. It would be perfect for those hosting a huge Thanksgiving do in a couple of weeks down in the US. :)

28. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Yes. Salads, handfuls and sangria. Seed it with gloves on as it will stain fingers.
    OMG, this is the coolest thing ever! Thank you. He spanked the crap out of that naughty pomegranate. :lol: