How do you describe skating things?

Discussion in 'Moves In The Field' started by Aussie Willy, Jul 25, 2010.

1. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

Okay yesterday I came up with a new way of explaining to someone what a bracket is meant to look like. Basically it is the shape of a boob. Which compared to a three turn which looks like a bottom.

Any other handy ways to help explain skating moves?

2. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

I've always described a bracket as looking like a curly bracket { (which I think is actually called a brace) and a three turn as looking like a 3.

I did explain to a co-worker this weekend what a figure 8 was. It helped that I had a white board to draw and a pair of blades in the office (decoration) to show what the edges were.

His biggest shock- the blades were wider than he thought. They were gold seals- so what the elites wear, can't imagine how he thought they'd be landing on anything much thinner.

3. zaphyre14

zaphyre14 Well-Known Member

Lots of non-skaters assume that a blade is sharpened in a V like a knife, instead of like an upside-down U. Even some of the younger skaters assume the same thing unless the coach sits them down, shows them the blade and explains the concept of edges.

4. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

Actually a coach told me about a student who turned up to skate and was having trouble skating. When he asked what was wrong, she told the coach that her father had sharpened her blades. Guess what the father had done with an angle grinder!!