How do we make skating popular again?

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by DickButtonFan, Jul 2, 2010.

1. DickButtonFan

DickButtonFan New Member

Does the sport need another Michelle Kwan? Another rivalry Kwan vs. Lipinski? Drama like the Nancy Tonya scandal or a change in the scoring system?

2. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

It just needs a great American lady skater. Someone who not only wins the nationial title but also a world title. Not this recent scenario of girls winning the national title and then bombing at worlds while another skater does a lot better than them overall.

3. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

I agree. I'm not sure if Mirai is "the one" yet, but I think she might be getting there. Lots of personality that can engage TV viewers is one of her greatest assets.

4. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

5. igniculus

igniculus Well-Known Member

Define "we". Skating is HUGE in some countries. Or are you only speaking about the US?

6. bardtoob

bardtoob Well-Known Member

We need to eliminate all those other media options.

7. DickButtonFan

DickButtonFan New Member

I guess I mean the USA but this can also apply to any country where skating has died out.

8. iarispiralllyof

iarispiralllyof Active Member

we need a new michelle kwan. a star the public can embrace. a scandal wouldn't hurt. in addition to trying to increase the presence of figure skating on tv, also consider the other outlets people now go to for entertainment.

besides that, figure skating officials in general need to move forward. the small legion of devoted skating fans have created communities online and uploaded endless youtube videos, helping to expose many classic (and current) programs to the masses that would've otherwise been forgotten. despite the many forums that do exist and skaters' official websites, skating unions' official sites, so on so forth, in general I feel like fs is still very behind in this department.

as civil rights progresses and public opinion sways (the general public in the days of rudy galindo is very different from today's general public) figure skating's officials seem to be going backwards rather than forwards, alienating existing fans as well as not tapping into an extensive potential fan-base of urban young men and women.

all this and more

9. DickButtonFan

DickButtonFan New Member

Lol like this idea. The right person needs to do it tho, is there a Kim k in skating?... Haha

10. iarispiralllyof

iarispiralllyof Active Member

tanith belbin has the looks

an evan/johnny sex tape would make my brain implode

11. Simone411

Simone411 aka IceSkate98

It already looks pretty popular to me if figure skating in all countries is included. At least it looks popular according to the membership view count at the bottom of our FSU board. :lol:

12. MikiAndoFan#1

MikiAndoFan#1 Well-Known Member

:rofl:

13. Screenie

Screenie Active Member

fewer rules so that it can be interesting again. (many, many fewer rules....)

14. Ozzisk8tr

Ozzisk8tr Well-Known Member

Make the short dance have to be performed nude, ladies long now has to have a straight line pom pom segment, Pairs skating can incorporate the use of a pole or a table. Would these work?

Poggi and (deleted member) like this.
  15. DickButtonFan

DickButtonFan New Member

Can't believe no one else thought of it til now really.

Ozzisk8tr and (deleted member) like this.
  16. DBZ

DBZ Well-Known Member

Oh god. Now that would just about do it, I think. It might not last, but it would definitely put skating back in the headlines. Incidentally, in a weird way it would explain a lot about their longstanding animosity for each other. Love scorned anyone?

17. Kwantumleap

Kwantumleap Well-Known Member

How do we make skating popular again?

Get a compelling competition going on. Some faces and personalities that stand out would also help.

18. attyfan

attyfan Well-Known Member

All of the above -- but I think something dramatic needs to be done to restore some confidence in the judges. A change in the system won't work because people think that the judges are corrupt -- with corrupt judges, any system won't wok. Maybe, a "whack-a-judge" contest when judges are found to be unfair?

19. falling_dance

falling_dance ToT Thread For Sale

Weir/Lysacek vs. McElroy/Michaels in Blades of Glory II.

20. neptune

neptune Well-Known Member

How do we make skating popular again? Simple. At the conclusion of every ISU event, feature mud wrestling by Nancy and Tonya. Trust me--ratings will go through the roof. ;)

21. jenny12

jenny12 Well-Known Member

One word: Twilight.

22. neptune

neptune Well-Known Member

Here's something else that might help make skating popular again. Continue to use 9 judges at ISU events, but replace one of them with Judge Judy. After each skater's performance, let her give a frank critique of it:

"You call that a triple axel?? You're an idiot!!!"

:lol:

23. essence_of_soy

essence_of_soy Well-Known Member

Kill Speedy

24. Screenie

Screenie Active Member

Do we consider hockey popular? (in the US it's not that popular but obviously more than figure skating).

Hockey is basically football on ice, so maybe part of the problem is that not many people do it b/c it's on ice? I don't think so though as probably only a small percent of people actually play football.

I still think if we let skaters do what they want and took out a lot of rules (maybe other than some basic ones like time limit etc(, it could be a lot more popular. People will come up with really interesting stuff, unlike today.

25. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

Limit the terms that one can sit on the ISU board to TWO (and ONLY two)!!!

Other possibilities:

a) Should eligible skaters be the ones who elect those who run the ISU?

b) Should the ISU be split in two? One organization for figure skating and the other for speed skating?

taf2002 and (deleted member) like this.
  26. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

YuNa and Mao fighting, on the ice... :p

27. museksk8r

museksk8r Holding an edge and looking dangerously sexy

:lol: Imagines all the male skaters being forced by federations to bulk up with muscles like Taylor Lautner and being encouraged to strip down to their bare chests during competitions and being encouraged to beglitter their chests a la Rob Pattinson. Taylor and Rob would be forced to become figure skating experts so they would have to do televised commentary of all the events. The male skaters would be divided into Team Jacob and Team Edward and they would have to have choreographed acrobatic elements and wrestle against one another shirtless on their skates because as we all know, sex and violence sells. :p

28. museksk8r

museksk8r Holding an edge and looking dangerously sexy

Don't forget Simon Cowell, Paula Abdul, and Kathy Griffin on the judging panel! I can hear Kathy now, "TIP IT, WHORE FACE!!!" :cheer2:

29. Triple Butz

Triple Butz Well-Known Member

I really think they should branch out and get new commentators. The NBC cast is horrendous. I'd love for them to really go out on a limb and hire someone like Tonya Harding to do dishy commentary. I bet people would tune in to see that.

30. ltnskater

ltnskater Active Member

Hmm...interesting point about hockey (now I'm from Canada...so obviously it's the biggest sport here...), but I would have thought the US big 4 sports: football (american), hockey, basketball, and baseball are all quite popular (in the US of course).

So I would say hockey is quite popular in the US....given simply by the fact of how much money is thrown around in the hockey world.