How can Russia reverse its decline in Ice Dance?

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Maofan7, Feb 13, 2013.

Can Russia win the 2018 Olympics in Ice Dance?

Poll closed Mar 16, 2013.
  1. Yes

47 vote(s)
    65.3%
  2. No

18 vote(s)
    25.0%
  3. Don't Know

7 vote(s)
    9.7%
  1. peibeck

peibeck Letting Poje be on top

With P/B being injured and missing Euros, I think it's possible we may see a Russian team on the podium at this Worlds, and hence well set up going into Sochi. ;)

I think the Russian dance teams are well set up for the next quad. It's the Russian men's program that is still lacking in depth.

2. morqet

morqet Well-Known Member

I mean, I don't find the lifts offensively bad, and I like that they generally fit with the flow of the dance, unlke some of P/B's lifts which just feel like a brief acrobatic session or V/M's goose lift which took SO long to set up that it always took me out of the program, but they really need to produce a "wow" lift to provide a big highlight in their programs.

That said, I do think they have a good chance of overtaking B/S at Worlds. I might be being wildly over optimistic, but they've been steadily improving all season, and there's still room to add in the SD and FD in terms of hitting their levels. B/S on the other hand seem to have stagnated a bit since his fall at GPF. They were tenative at Russian Nats & at Euros, and like you I felt they were a bit overmarked in the SD in Zagreb. It will be really interesting to see how it all shakes out with P/B back in the mix, and also W/P with a reworked FD.

3. awbaset

awbaset New Member

And some better costumes. The costumes that the Russian (singles) ladies were wearing should all be burned.

4. ohashibiles

ohashibiles Active Member

The Russians will be fine. They are mostly going to go 1-2 at the next Olympics I would even say.