Housekeeping becoming a luxury at hotels

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by deltask8er, Jun 25, 2010.

1. cruisin

cruisin Well-Known Member

Question for everyone: Which would you rather have - clean towels every day or clean linens every day? Which one would you care most about losing?

Me, for under a week they don't have to change my linens at all, but towels every day. Even just cutting back on washing the bedding would save lots of water and $$$. And they don't have to provide all of the tiny bottles of stuff (like shampoo, conditioner, moisturizer). Those little plastic bottles are not green and people can bring larger bottles with them. All they need to provide is bar soap. And the rest of the stuff only on request (for those who may have forgotten something).

2. agalisgv

agalisgv Well-Known Member

Just curious cruisin, but do you wash your towels after just one use (including hand towels) at home?

3. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

If I were that freaked about towels, I'd bring my own. And I certainly would bring my own towels if I knew I was going to ruin the hotel ones with spray tan :eek: That's just common sense.

ETA: to answer cruisin's questions, I'd lose both linens and towels. I don't need either of them replaced daily.

4. agalisgv

agalisgv Well-Known Member

Yeah, to me that falls into the category of destruction of property--I can't imagine doing that intentionally. Anyone who did that should be charged with replacement of those towels since it's not like they can be used again.

Very, very thoughtless.

5. CynicElle

CynicElle Well-Known Member

If I'm just staying for a couple of days, the only thing I really need replaced daily are the coffee fixins -- Mr. Elle and I are coffee fiends. I don't replace my linens and towels every day at home, so I don't need that done in a hotel.

6. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

Replacing towels and sheets is one thing, but how about actually cleaning the room? The last few times I've stayed in hotels, I've seen evidence that e.g. the tub has not been wiped down during the daily cleaning. I know this because there was a hair that was definitely not mine in the tub when I checked in....and it was still there after the room had (allegedly) been cleaned the next day. I see stuff like this happening more and more.

I would sooner see the hotel staff spend their time on actually cleaning the room than on frills like "turndown service" at night. Which, at the last hotel I stayed at, arrived at 4 pm in the afternoon.

7. genevieve

Well, yeah, cleaning between guests should be a given :scream:

8. liv

liv Well-Known Member

When I was a housekeeper at some swanky resorts during summers while at university, we would not replace sheets until there was a new guest. That made perfect sense to me. We didn't always replace towels, but if they were visibly dirty or very wet, we'd replace them or make sure the correct number was there. What we made sure we did do for the "stays" as we called them, was make sure the sheets were tight and hospital corners were redone etc on the beds. If the place really needed vacuuming we'd do that, fireplaces would have wood restocked etc. All things like coffee, shampoos were replaced if empty, garbages emptied, and the bathroom was cleaned, or at least everything was dried, no water spots on the mirror etc...although toilets that were dirty were cleaned with soap. It wasn't a cleaning, ie things were dried rather than washed with soap and then dried, but it was made to look tidy. Sometimes I would fold pyjamas if they were lying about, but now as I'm older, I realize I don't want some random person touching my pj's!

These days I would expect the same. I don't need new sheets, can live without new towels if they are clean (just need to dry), but I like to see my bed straightened and everything generally tidy. Because I was trained to have everything 'just so,' (the hangers had to be counted and arranged, the curtains had to be folded the right away, even the pamphlets arranged a certain way) I find that when I do stay somewhere I'm very critical about how things are done now, lol!

9. cruisin

Bath towels, yes, they get washed after every use. I can't stand the smell of towels that stay damp. Hand towels, no, they get used for a day or two. But the hand towels are on a towel rod and they dry. I have no place to let the bath towels dry adequately.

10. bobalina77

bobalina77 Duck Hunter

Yeah I was gonna say something but decided to keep my mouth shut until someone else does. But seriously that's just rude. The hotel may be able to keep those towels to use the next year, but they still have to replace those towels and sheets that are now ruined because most places don't have THAT many extra towels and sheets.

People who don't respect the property are my biggest pet peeve.

11. zhenya271

zhenya271 Active Member

I like to bring my own pillowcases and first thing that happens when I get into the room is remove those comforters into a corner or stash them into the closet. I don't worry so much about the ones w/ duvets because I would like to think those are getting washed with the sheets.
    You are right though, you can't think of everything or you would never leave the house and we do like to travel!

12. zhenya271

zhenya271 Active Member

LOL! I have seen this rule in some military temporary lodging, but for the most part most housekeeping staff seem to appreciate one less room to take care of, the only ones that I noticed that seemed to be a bit put off were German staff because they take their cleaning so seriously and don't like anyone to mess with their efficient order of doing things.:confused::lol:

13. MacMadame

MacMadame Cat Lady-in-Training

I don't mind not getting clean sheets every day but I do mind about the towels when I'm staying with my family. I really don't want to have to remember who used what towel and there aren't really enough racks to hang 4 towels out to dry and have them actually dry. Wet towels the next day are disgusting!

14. WindSpirit

WindSpirit OmnipresentAdmeanistrator

Same here. Plus they often start at 7-8am. I'm either still in bed or getting ready to go out, and I don't need strangers in my room to slow me down and get in my way.

I could understand the toilet (although you can close the toilet seat when you flush... which as a germophobe you should be doing it anyway), but why the shower rod? You could wipe it clean first if you think it's so dirty.

I don't either. I hate packing/unpacking and I would probably forget something.

If you're so afraid of germs and other things, how do you deal with the bed? The sheets may be clean, but there's other people's sweat, among other things, in the mattress.

15. Prancer

Prancer Jawwalking Staff Member

ITA. I don't care about having clean sheets every day and I don't need the room cleaned if it was clean when I checked in; we're not very messy.

But I HATE getting up to shower and having all the towels wet. It's not a problem if I travel alone or just with my husband, but all four of us? Ugh.

Otherwise, I don't care if I ever have housekeeping service in a hotel as long as the room is clean when I check in.

16. jamesy

jamesy wind up merchant

You probably just made several people cancel their vacation plans with that sentence. :lol:

17. Matryeshka

Matryeshka Well-Known Member

Not necessarily. I worked at a hotel one summer and was :eek: at the logistics that go into it. The hotel had around 400 rooms, and was usually between 80-90% occupied, though being 100% full was not unusual.

On the week-ends, especially Sunday, I'd say around 70% left between 11:00 and 12:00, the check-out time, and very rarely would anyone leave before 8am. The cleaning staff typically didn't come in till ten, because it would be useless and inefficient to bring in cleaning staff for the three people that checked out early and then pay them to twiddle their thumbs, and generally, people don't like to be told, come in, leave for two hours, and then come back.

Then, the housekeeping has to clean up to 400 rooms in three hours--I don't care if you had an army of maids, it would be nearly impossible to do that in three hours (check-in time). And only if the rooms didn't require anything more than basic clean-up. It's amazing the damage people can do in one night! And if you did hire one maid for every two or three rooms, the cost passed onto the guest would be astronomical.

My manager had been in hotels long enough to remember when you typically had to check out by 9am, and the rooms--all of them--were ready by 3. That's a reasonable expectation. People complained about wanting to sleep in, and hotels listened...and now they have to hear complaints on the back-end of those checking-in. Don't even get me started on guests that get there early and are peeved about waiting for rooms. :scream:

As for the original keeping green of the hotel, I'm sort of bad about that. I think it's a good thing, no matter what the actual reason, but if I'm paying over $120 per night, whether they clean my sheets every day or not which is the case in most hotel/hotel chains, damnit, I want clean sheets every day. If I'm going to pay luxury prices, I want luxury service. If I'm staying somewhere that's lower in cost anyway, I don't expect clean sheets/new towels every day.

18. Really

Really No longer just a "well-known member" Yay!

$120/night is 'luxury'????

19. bobalina77

bobalina77 Duck Hunter

I don't think I've ever stayed anywhere that has changed the sheets daily.. and I've stayed at some pretty decent hotels. I'm with the majority of you guys.. I don't change my own sheets everyday, and it's just me sleeping in them. Why do I need them changed everyday at a hotel? As long as they're clean when I get in them the first night that's all I really care about.

20. cruisin

Nah, don't want to touch it. And would never have to. And as I said, I don't like the smell of damp towels, I even wash my own every time.

But I don't unpack because I don't want anyone touching my stuff :lol:.

I understand that on an intellectual level. And for years I could not stay in hotels because I understand that and I am OCD about germs. I have managed to put some of the phobia away (so to speak). There are a few things that still bother me, but I compensate because I like to travel.

21. Matryeshka

Matryeshka Well-Known Member

Luxury is relative to your income, so yes, for me, $120/night is luxury.

22. AxelAnnie

AxelAnnie Well-Known Member

Demand? One of the things I really enjoy (in life) are clean sheets and towels.
    When I am paying hundreds of dollars a night for a hotel room, that is part of what I purchase. And a big part of what I enjoy on my vacation.

If there is a pool at the hotel, btw, I never think the bath towel should go down there. If I am on vacation....let's say a great resort in the Bahamas, I would expect (in fact I would check before I booked) about the pool services...the pool guy in the cabana...ready with wonderful huge towels........and right behind him, the cute waiter with the drinks.
    I don't think people should feel guilty for using or expecting the services they expected when the booked the vacation.

I also expect working elevators (which the Marriott did NOT have at Worlds last year), lots of hot water, powerful water pressure, etc, etc.,

:duh:

23. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

When I used to travel for work in Las Vegas, Colorado, and California, there were signs next to the sink to ask people not to run the faucet if they didn't have to, to save water. (Like not running water while brushing your teeth.)

I've seen those signs for a decade traveling extensively for business and pleasure, and most of the time, I've hung up my towels back up on the towel rack or shower curtain rod, but only at two hotels -- last week in San Francisco and at one hotel in India -- did they not replace the towels with new ones. It made me crazy. In my favorite hotel in Barcelona, there were no signs, but they understood that over the shower curtain bar meant "We'll use them again."

24. bobalina77

bobalina77 Duck Hunter

This is funny.. whenever we tell people that there isn't daily housekeeping most of them say "oh we don't need that anyway.." and are perfectly happy with that. I've never had anyone kick up a big fuss.

25. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

I don't think of sheets slept on for one night as 'dirty'. If I stayed in a luxury hotel (which would be more than $120 per night in many parts of the world) I would expect the sheets to be of very fine quality, but would not expect or want them changed every day - would seem like a real waste of time and energy.

26. genevieve

And WindSpirit was being very kind and generic about her descriptions :lol:

As my sister said the other day (although I can't for the life of me remember why this came up), never ever bring a blacklight into a hotel room, unless you're looking for a reason to NEVER stay in any hotel again.

27. Prancer

Prancer Jawwalking Staff Member

I strongly suggest that none of you germophobes ever take microbiology and pathology. :scream:

OTOH, maybe you should.:p

28. Karina1974

Karina1974 Well-Known Member

What a waste of water. And the back of any door in your house will have adequate space for a towel rod.

agalisgv and (deleted member) like this.
  29. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

While I agree it's a waste (but whatcha gonna do with OCD?) my bathroom door is a pocket door - no way to put a towel rod on that. I have hooks in the bathroom to hang towels, even in this Florida humidity they dry just fine.

30. cruisin

I find that those signs go up in places where and when they are experiencing drought.

It's not a waste. I don't just wash one or two towels. I wash 8/10 at a time. They are not that dirty, so they don't need a heavy cycle. Am I supposed to have towels draped all over the doors in my home? My husband occasionally puts the towels over the doorknob in the master bathroom. Because we have no windows that open in that bathroom and the fan is not vented properly, there is virtually no ventilation. Anything that you drape a towel over gets mildewed. And the towels don't dry, and they smell funky.

So, no, I do not feel I am wasting anything. I don't run the dishwasher unless it is completely full, I don't run the washing machine unless it's a full load. I take quick showers, and don't leave water running. I turn lights off, I don't run the AC unless it is unbearably hot. There are lots of ways to be wasteful, I'm sure there are things everyone does that others would consider wasteful.