Hot long-dead guys

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Gazpacho, Nov 13, 2013.

1. Gazpacho

Gazpacho Well-Known Member

I've become interested in the history of photography. In the earliest years, exposure times were several hours, and the subject had to remain completely still, so portrait photographs were impossible. Within a few years, the exposure time had been reduced to under 10 minutes. That was still a long time to remain still, and clamps were used to prevent people from blurring the picture by moving, but it was short enough to allow portrait photographs.

Robert Cornelius was one of scientists who found a way to shorten exposure times to a few minutes. In 1839, Cornelius took what is thought to be the first photograph of a human face. It is also the first self-portrait.

Here is the photo.

My first reaction wasn't, wow, that's an incredible contribution to mankind. It was, damn he's hot! So hot that he invented portrait photography to document it for future generations. :lol:

It turns out that there are several hot long-dead guys.

Some smart long-dead guys:

Oliver Wendell Holmes

Before the age of photography, but I've always thought that Alexander Hamilton of $10 bill fame was very good looking.

And as always, there were some bad but hot guys:

Lewis Powell--conspired to assassinate Lincoln, stabbed Secretary of State William Seward and his bodyguard, and bludgeoned Seward's son, and subject of the most awesome mugshots ever.

Louis Lingg--anarchist who advocated violence and terrorism and created the bombs used in the Haymarket Square Bombing

Do you have any crushes on long-dead guys? :p

2. Kasey

Kasey Loving on babies!

Nikola Tesla
    He looks like he should be co-starring with Anthony Hopkins and Colin Firth in some Merchant Ivory production

3. Spareoom

Spareoom Well-Known Member

Mmmm, if Robert C. was the inventor of selfies, I can totally see why he would want to pioneer such a thing.

Shocker, people in the olden days were hot too! ;)

flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  4. orientalplane

orientalplane Mad for mangelwurzels

You're right; they are attractive men, but I'm more fascinated by the fact that we have records of people - any people - from so long ago. I have a print of what is believed to be the only photograph of Charlotte Bronte. And William Henry Fox Talbot, who made the earliest known surviving photographic negative (in 1835, a picture of a latticed window) lived at Lacock Abbey in my neighbouring county of Wiltshire http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lacock_Abbey. But judging from the picture of him taken in 1864, I don't think he'd fall into many people's category of "hot". ;)

5. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

Are you kidding? I'd be dating half the roster on Turner Classic Movies if I could. :D Especially Gene Kelly, Jimmy Stewart, Cary Grant, and Claude Rains.

Orientalplane, that's really cool about your Charlotte Bronte print!

smurfy and (deleted member) like this.
  6. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

Interesting how somebody can be so beautiful and ugly at the same time...

shah and (deleted member) like this.
  7. orientalplane

I don't find him attractive. His eyes are ice-cold.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  8. orientalplane

I'll upload it if you like. Not tonight, though......:)

Sorry for the double post.

9. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

Louis Lingg was HOT. :grope:

10. Simone411

Simone411 Just Flip-Flopping Around

11. Wyliefan

Please do! Any time you can get around to it is fine!

12. DAngel

DAngel Active Member

Wow... He's pretty good looking and seems like a pleasant man :).

13. UMBS Go Blue

UMBS Go Blue KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!

14. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

Come on! YOU try staring into a camera for ten minutes without moving and let's see if your eyes don't go a little buggy, too! :lol:

15. Dr.Siouxs

Dr.Siouxs Well-Known Member

The younger, less frumpy and less disgruntled Beethoven was :swoon: It helps that his music is my favorite, ever.

Tchaikovsky wasn't bad either. ;)

Last edited: Nov 13, 2013
  16. myhoneyhoney

myhoneyhoney Well-Known Member

I used to have the biggest crush on JFK Jr. I remember bursting into tears when I first heard the news of his missing plane. Of course it had to happen in hubby's Grandma's house, right.

17. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

There are some damn beautiful now-dead people in this "Historical Hotties" gallery on imgur: http://imgur.com/gallery/l43zF

From that gallery, Harry T. Burn, total hottie! And is totally a mama's boy. :D And mmm, young Wiesław Chrzanowski. :swoon:

skipaway and (deleted member) like this.
  18. Gazpacho

19. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

Gazpacho and (deleted member) like this.
  20. essence_of_soy

essence_of_soy Well-Known Member

He not only invented portrait photography, from the picture it looks like he invented Garnier hair gel as well.

21. morqet

morqet Well-Known Member

22. orientalplane

Yes, I agree on both counts.

23. Gazpacho

Pfff, he ain't got nothing on Brahms.

24. alchemy void

alchemy void it's time for the perkolator

I've read about Powell before but never realized he was so broodingly hot! :grope: These mug shot pictures, complete with handcuffs...the, ahem, dungeon-like setting, and his dark scowl have a definite gay S&M vibe to them. :cheer: Sorry I went there.

Thanks for the pictures and information, Gazpacho!

25. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Too funny! One wonders if all the early pioneers of photography before him felt themselves too unattractive to turn the camera on themselves. Or, if they in fact did take pictures of themselves and didn't like the results :lol:

There will always be those that photograph well, and those that don't. My MIL is always wanting to take pictures at family gatherings, and I swear it's not because she wants pictures of everybody else, but because she knows full well that she photographs well and looks good in every picture, while the rest of us look like crap!

Thanks for starting this thread and to everyone else sharing - I love old photography :)

26. Wyliefan

27. snoopy

snoopy Team St. Petersburg

Going through those Ingalls family photos was fun. I never thought to check the real life people out before. And it never occurred to me that Laura made it into the 20th century.

28. Dr.Siouxs

Dr.Siouxs Well-Known Member

nah, blah blonde puppy. :p

29. znachki

znachki Active Member

And Tyrone Power, Gregory Peck, and the Fairbanks - father and son, and, and, and...

30. Grannyfan

Grannyfan Active Member

I'm with you! And I'd add Walter Pidgeon.

KatieC and (deleted member) like this.