Hot Boys with Balls: the Baseball 2013 thread

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by PrincessLeppard, Jan 2, 2013.

1. PrincessLeppard

PrincessLeppard Pink Bitch

I'll just remind you here that that Barry Zito beat Verlander in the World Series. :saint:

2. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

Weren't there some other players involved in that? ;)

After that infield fly wild card debacle I decided I would cut down on baseball to avoid future misery. Of course, I've meant to do this many times before, to no avail. Plus the Braves had to go and bring in two Uptons and promote Evan Gattis. My resolution is doomed.

3. PrincessLeppard

Yes. I believe the Panda had two home runs off Verlander. :saint:

4. Cloudy_Gumdrops

Cloudy_Gumdrops New Member

The Angels won their opener. :cheer2:

It's nice that Iannetta could step up and be the star of the game.

5. Alixana

Alixana Definitely NOT a sonogram

And there is no joy in Toronto tonight :(

6. HeatherC

HeatherC Go Team SW Florida! =)

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! ;)

Actually, I really like the Angels and I hate that my Reds have to start off their year against such a tough team. That was an incredible pitching duel yesterday! It really could have gone either way and the Reds left half of Cincinnati on the base paths during the early innings. :( Tough for my guys to lose Ryan Ludwick to a freak shoulder injury but this is the team that also lost Joey Votto for a long stretch of time last year and managed just fine so I'm not horribly worried about them (yet, LOL). I'm going to the game downtown tomorrow night and I am SO PUMPED to be heading back to GABP!!! GO REDS!!! :cheer2: :cheer: :cheer2: :cheer:

7. PrincessLeppard

The Angels have some hot boys. The Reds need to add some of those. ;)

I can't believe Yu Darvish lost his perfect game on the 27th batter. :fragile:

8. professordeb

professordeb Well-Known Member

Well there was probably a teensie little bit -- the players/staff on the other team.

However, all of us Jays fans -- no joy. Maybe tonight?

9. Alixana

Alixana Definitely NOT a sonogram

:lol: Ok, there was lots of joy in Cleveland. Today *is* a new day so GO JAYS! (But I'll be cheering hard for Terry Francona when Cleveland plays Boston in a couple of weeks .. for many reasons. ;) )

10. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

I went to Nationals Opening Day! It was :hat1::cheer::cheer2: Stras and Harper rocked. Last night I was too much of a wimp to go sit in the cold, but Gio rocked.

I also went to Nationals Spring Traning in March, and I highly recommend that. It was a ton of fun.

11. Cyn

Cyn Well-Known Member

Atlanta Braves!!! :cheer2: :biggrinbo :cheer2:

They're off to their best start in years (7-1). I figure I should enjoy it while it lasts, seeing as how they somehow manage to muck things up and, without fail, snatch defeat from the jaws of victory :wall:.

12. Zemgirl

The key to being a Braves fan is to enjoy it while it lasts ;) but this is definitely a fun team so far!

13. Cyn

Cyn Well-Known Member

As a Native Atlantan who cut her first teeth on a Braves baseball, I have 45 years experience with the :cheer: :wall: :cheer2: :wuzrobbed :respec: :mad: :rockstar: :lynch: of being a loyal fan -- it's quite the roller-coaster ride (though I must say that during the '90s, being a Braves fan was an absolute blast :D.

ETA: Make that now 8-1 :biggrinbo :rofl:.

14. Zemgirl

It was during the regular season :p

I'm just going to enjoy whatever the Uptons do and Evan Gattis killing baseballs and whatever else happens...

15. professordeb

professordeb Well-Known Member

And the Jays managed a comeback after a 2.5 hour rain delay in Detroit yesterday. Two teams are due to go at it again this afternoon -- weather permitting.

It's times like these that I think all games this early in the season should be played either
    1) in a city that is warm
    2) in a city that has a domed playing field

I really don't like seeing them play in rain -- or snow.

16. NeilJLeonard

NeilJLeonard Well-Known Member

Make that 9-1....:(....At the expense of the team that has started 1-9. Enjoy what you have for as long as you have it. If the team ever gets sold it could wind up being purchased by a true horses-ass like one Jeffrey Luria

17. Zemgirl

No, it's 8-1. And the Braves have played teams other than the Marlins, though it's true they haven't had the toughest schedule to start. But this actually makes me optimistic, because in the past the Braves would play well against good teams and find ways to lose to the bad ones (e.g. they would always lose to the Nationals before the Nat became good).

I agree that Loria shouldn't be allowed to have anything to do with MLB teams.

18. NeilJLeonard

NeilJLeonard Well-Known Member

At the expense of the team that started 1-8. Enjoy the ride while you can. Teams do change ownership. You could wind up with a total horse's ass like one Jeffrey Loria, the man that killed baseball in Montreal (the team moved to DC under different ownership & is now one of the best teams in the league), and is now doing his "thing" in Miami. No matter how the Braves finish they'll be at least 30 games better than the Marlins. Again.

A $600,000,000 fraud so we can go back to Loria's same-old-same-old money making racket. And there is nothing anyone can do about it......:mad:

NJL

19. Lara

Lara Well-Known Member

(((Neil))) As someone who still mourns the Expos you have my sympathy.

Glad to see the Phillies get a good win yesterday. :)

Question - why does MLB at Bat sometimes list "foul" for a pitch that counted as a strike?

20. PrincessLeppard

So you will know they made contact? Or you don't wonder why the pitcher has thrown 895 pitches to the same guy? ;) I once watched Marco Scutaro foul off 11 pitches before blooping a hit into shallow center. :)

21. myhoneyhoney

myhoneyhoney Well-Known Member

Giants won again, YAY!

22. Cyn

Cyn Well-Known Member

Terry Pendleton was notorious for doing that back in the 90s. During the (many, many) playoff games over that decade, he about damn near drove us crazy :wall:.

Braves vs. Senators tonight at 7:35 EDT, which should be a good matchup over the weekend; Braves are 8-1, and the Senators are 7-2.

....Where's PRLady? :saint:

ETA: Thought I'd post the link from the MLB website for both League's standings and basic overall Team Stats. I keep it bookmarked during the season to avoid wading through stupid web ads, pop-ups to subscribe, and all the other shit that ESPN and the many other sports sites insist on filling with cludge :blah:. Nice, clean, and easy-peasy.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2013
  23. Cyn

Cyn Well-Known Member

Braves are really going for the :drama: tonight....top of the 9th, down by two with two men on base and two outs, and TIE THE GAME :cheer2:.

(of course, now that I'm posting about it, they'll probably give up a homer in bottom of the ninth)

ETA: :cheer2: Wheeeeeee! :cheer2:

Last edited: Apr 13, 2013
  24. Cloudy_Gumdrops

Cloudy_Gumdrops New Member

I really need the Angels to stop sucking. I can only remain optimistic for so long. :(

25. Zemgirl

How could you have doubted Eric O'Flaherty? ;)

So they have McCann and Freeman on the DL, Gattis on first where he most certainly does not belong, 2/3 of the outfield hitting below .100 and half the infield not doing much better. So of course they win and Ramiro Peña is the one with the home run in extra innings. Naturally.

26. PrincessLeppard

So what do you think of the fight that took out Zach Grienke? (Greinke?) I think the guy is a complete tool, but clearly in that situation he was not deliberately trying to hit what's his name.

The guy who charged the mound should be out for as long as Greinke (I looked it up :p) is.

27. Cyn

Cyn Well-Known Member

:eek: :respec: :cheer2: Atlanta Braves :cheer2: :respec: :eek:

Now 10-1 (and with an 8-game WS, to boot!)

WRT the current winning streak, I think this may be the strongest start to a season that Atlanta's had since 1982/83

**feels like dancing, even though that's an impossibility right now**

ETA: Wikipedia is my friend today :lol:, I did a little bit of digging, and it was the 1982 Season -- that Spring, The Braves started off on fire, racking up a 13-game winning streak before losing a game. The only reason I remembered that tidbit of info is that the 1982 season was, for The Braves, one of the biggest roller-coaster rides in baseball history.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2013
  28. Jem X

Jem X Merry Christmas!

WRT Jeff Luria, I will be forever grateful to him for hiring that blithering idiot, Ozzie Guillen, and taking Ozzie and his equally moronic sons away from Chicago. He and his sons no longer pollute the TV and radio airwaves. Believe me, even when the Guillens had nothing to say, they said it on TV and radio endlessly. And, because he totally screwed up in Florida, he probably will not show his face around here for a long time.

29. FSfan107

FSfan107 Well-Known Member

Braves are now 11-1 after winning 9-0 today over the Nationals! They've won 9 straight! :cheer2::respec:

Cyn and (deleted member) like this.
  30. AragornElessar

AragornElessar Well-Known Member

*Finally*....This weekend gave us a look at the Jays all of the so called experts were saying we'd have back at the beginning of the month/Season. We should have won that game today too, but it's still a Series win w/us taking two out of the three games in KC.

Still not a win though, as on Friday night we lost Jose Reyes for an unknown period of time due to his ankle injury. Which was pretty nasty to watch happen. I honestly thought w/the way his leg went back, Jose had broken the thing. Apparently the swelling was too high for them to get a definitive answer one way or the other on if it's broken or not w/the MRI scan and X Rays.

This according to the Blue Jays Medical Staff BTW. As I said, we'll see, but it's still a pretty big loss for us this early in the Season.

On a brighter note....It was wonderful yesterday to see the real R.A. Dickey pitch. Hopefully those first two games were just trying to figure things out w/a new team and battery mate catching him and what we saw yesterday will be sticking around for the rest of year.