Hospital Nurse Who Took Kate Hoax Call Found Dead

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by lurvylurker, Dec 7, 2012.

1. Angelskates

Angelskates Well-Known Member

2. bek

bek Guest

3. MacMadame

MacMadame Internet Beyotch

You just love to make stuff up, don't you? There is no evidence that she was fired. Or what her criticisms of the staff and hospital even were.
  4. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

Don't they have their version of HIPAA? I'd be surprised if they didn't. Brits? Aussies?

Even with HIPAA or a version of it, I don't think the nurse was in the wrong giving information to someone she believed was family.
  5. cruisin

cruisin Well-Known Member

This is a problem for any hospital. Even if the patient signs a release for specific family members, loved ones to have information. Over the phone, there is no way to prove who you are talking to. That is why I put the onus on the DJs. They knew what they were doing was wrong. They were invading a patient's right to privacy. The nurse had no way of knowing, with certainty, who she was talking to. If the Queen was on a release form, nothing the nurse did was wrong.
  6. *Jen*

*Jen* Well-Known Member

There are privacy laws, but nothing directly equivalent to HIPAA from what I can tell. But normally, you have to answer a LOT of questions to prove your connection to the patient before they answer questions. Sometimes there's a pin or a password. And sometimes someone thinks the Queen is calling and throws all the regulations out the window :shuffle:
  7. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

I don't think the nurse did anything wrong.
  8. AxelAnnie

AxelAnnie Well-Known Member

It is a tragedy. But why do you say it could have been "easily prevented"? By whom, and how?
  9. cruisin

I knew that, I was agreeing with you.
  10. Kasey

Kasey Loving on babies!

Yes, there is. We give every patient's significant other a 4-digit PIN number (part of their patient ID number), and tell them to share it with anyone who may call to ask for information. No PIN number on the phone, no information, period. It is actually quite simple, provided that it's followed.
  11. cruisin

That is a great procedure. But, I don't think the hospitals here follow it. I didn't have any pin numbers when I needed info about either of my parents. But, they didn't give me much info, either. They had the doctor or a nurse call me back.
  12. Twizzler

Twizzler Well-Known Member

Many hospitals do follow it, and the ones that don't are risking hefty lawsuits if private info is given out.
  13. cruisin

So, if they don't have something like this in place, how can they blame their staff?
  14. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

Apparently quite a few posters have been speculating and making assumptions based on a variety of information in media reports unsubstantiated and otherwise, in addition to voicing heated opinions over an obviously emotional topic of discussion.
  15. Twizzler

Twizzler Well-Known Member

I have no idea how it works in England, but in the US, all people employed at a hospital are taught, as part of their training, not to give out private information about patients. They are told that if they do, they can lose their jobs and the hospital could be sued. If they choose not to follow these policies, they are putting themselves and the hospital at risk.
  16. cruisin

Right, but when my parents were hospitalized, they signed forms stating who could be given information. I was with my dad and his social worker when he signed that it was alright to give me any and all info. But, how do they know it's me, on the phone without a protocol like Kasey described.
  17. *Jen*

*Jen* Well-Known Member

Actually, the Guardian newspaper (a credible paper) is reporting that the hospital has a policy with high profile patients of taking their names and then calling them back. In this case, because Jacintha thought the call was credible, she put it through. The hospital claims it was standing by her, but who knows. The point is, there was a policy and it was ignored.