Hospital Nurse Who Took Kate Hoax Call Found Dead

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by lurvylurker, Dec 7, 2012.

1. lurvylurker

lurvylurker Active Member

2. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

This is being discussed on the royalty thread.

3. BlueRidge

BlueRidge AYS's snark-sponge

That makes sense, but can we discuss it here? I think the topic of these kinds of asshole crank calls by radio stations deserves its own thread.

4. Norlite

Norlite Well-Known Member

Statement release of behave of the Royal family

It doesn't seem the radio station has made a statement yet. As I expect they will.

Add just to clear up confusion, this is the nurse-receptionist who put the call through to Kate's floor, not the nurse who gave the information to the radio station.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2012
  5. skatingfan5

skatingfan5 Well-Known Member

They were still gloating about their "royal prank" barely an hour ago. I would expect they will have something entirely different to say now, but likely will still defend their doing it.

6. lurvylurker

Oh, sorry...I don't usually visit the royalty thread so didn't realize it was there. But I agree with Blueridge, I think this speaks to broader issues, such as society's generally increasing levels of acceptable voyeurism and disrespect for individuals. I can only imagine how terrible that poor nurse felt.

7. BlueRidge

^This exactly. What is the matter with us? Why does anyone find these kinds of "pranks" entertaining? Clearly radio stations that do this think it will up their audience. I hope this horrible situation prompts a humongous backlash.

8. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

Was the nurse criticized for taking the call? I don't know why anyone would be so angry at her.

If the call has anything to do with her death, I am deeply disturbed. Even if the call has nothing to do with her death, I am saddened for her friends and family who will have to mourn without privacy.

9. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

This.

10. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

I'm with you. The other day someone was telling what a great boss someone was, and what a big jokester who was always playing pranks on his staff. All I could think about is how glad I was not to work for him, or in that kind of atmosphere.

I'm all for levity and fun, but not at the expense of others. I don't find humiliating and embarrassing people very funny.

11. lurvylurker

I did hear the hospital's statement, which was very supportive - it was something along the lines of how their nurses and other medical staff are all highly trained medical professionals who provide excellent care to their patients, and they are not trained security or public relations professionals. So I think (at least publicly) the hospital was supporting her.

However, I can imagine that she probably felt just awful once she realized what she had been duped into doing, and what the personal repercussions to others (i.e. the embarrassment to Kate et al) might be. And who knows how much the home press was pestering her about it too, if they had her name...

12. BlueRidge

I despise any kind of "joke" that is premised on humiliating or embarrassing another person. I'm aware that I am particularly sensitive to this so I suppose others are not but it just seems nasty to me no matter what the situation. We don't know if the nurse took her own life, but I can well imagine how she must have felt.

AYS and (deleted member) like this.
  13. cygnus

cygnus Liberal Furry

My problem with the prank is that it was not really a prank on the Royal family as some have called it. The RF can handle such things.

It was a prank on a couple of hardworking ordinary people (the nurse and the receptionist) who are unused to publicity or the spotlight, and it took advantage of their naivety and thrust them into public derision that at least one of them couldn't handle. Sad.

14. lurvylurker

This. If a laugh comes at the expense of another person's embarrassment, it's not humor; it's meanness.

15. Alixana

Alixana Definitely NOT a sonogram

This x 1000. It could have cost one or both of these people their jobs, which is already a terrible thing to do in this economy. Secondly, we don't know what issues the pranked person has and the prank might be the one thing that puts them over the edge. This is just tragic. Let's think before we act.

16. manleywoman

manleywoman podcast mistress

Wow. From this article:
    What is WRONG with people????

17. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

Exactly.

Both broadcasters who made the call have deleted their Twitter accounts. ETA: Oh, I see that was already mentioned in one of the articles linked above.

What they did was horrible and they should feel thoroughly ashamed, and be penalized, but I confess I'm a little perturbed that now they're getting online threats. First there were comments all over the Web that the nurse should be fired; now that the nurse is dead, there's this. It's a little scary just how rapidly and thoroughly public opinion can change. Deploring what happened is one thing, but I wish people would be more careful about the cruel personal remarks. I mean, what happens if now the broadcasters feel so awful that they commit suicide? Where does it stop?

18. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

Shouldn't a nurse, and all health care professionals, know that you don't automatically reveal a patient's conditions to anyone that you can't verify? It was an innocent slip up for sure, but the nurse definitely breached patient's confidentiality when she talked about how Kate was doing in the hospital to the pranksters over the phone.

I thought the prank itself was harmless though. It's unfortunate what has happened, but anyone giving the radio hosts death threats are just plain idiots and cowards.

19. lurvylurker

In this age of electronically-fueled worldwide mob mentality? Probably never.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2012
  20. Simone411

Simone411 aka IceSkate98

Same here. It's going to be pretty hard for her family and friends, especially being this close to the holidays. :(

21. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

I do think the prank was in poor taste, but the end result definitely came as a shock. I actually think what they did a few years ago -as mentioned in several articles- was even worse in and of itself.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukn...-controversy-at-Australian-radio-station.html

Obviously, once someone well-known like the royal family starts being involved you get a lot more attention and if this means the dj's lose their jobs or have to clean up their act, I guess that's all for the better in the end...Very sad it had to come to someone killing themselves before we start questioning the limits of what's appropriate.

22. ssminnow

ssminnow Active Member

I have to wonder whether the nurse was facing lawsuits in the aftermath of the prank phone call.

23. Twizzler

Twizzler Well-Known Member

In the US, it's illegal to give out medical information about a patient. Grounds for losing ones job.

If you're an employee of the hospital, it's also illegal to look up patients on the computer system unless you are actually treating them. Again, grounds for firing.

That said, I feel so sorry for this poor woman who probably got so flustered when she was speaking directly to "royalty".

Such a tragedy :(

24. skatingfan5

I'm not sure which nurse the above two posts are about, but as Norlite posted earlier in the thread the nurse-receptionist who put the call through to Kate's floor, not the nurse who gave the information to the radio station, is the one who was found dead. So she herself didn't reveal any patient information, she merely put the call through.

25. floskate

floskate Vacant

No complaint was made by the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and the hospital have stated that they were supporting her and no disciplinary action was taken. Obviously she was severely affected by what happened but there is no indication that she was under any form of official discipline. That said, certain sections of the media and the general public have been very critical of her actions.

26. jenny12

jenny12 Well-Known Member

Perfectly said.

What a sad story. I don't think it seemed that most people were criticizing the nurse for taking the call, but it didn't stop her from feeling horrible about it. Too sad.

27. *Jen*

*Jen* Well-Known Member

That would be quite something, since 3 hours ago (the 1 hour plus the 2 since your post) it was 4am where that show is recorded, and it's not on air then. I understand the anger, but...

Yes, she was, but not by the Royals who had nothing to say about the call itself, except for Charles who seemed to find it funny. As I said in the royals thread, the whole thing has been blown out of proportion. No one did anything illegal, or wrong, and the Royals didn't seem to care. It's really tragic that it's come to this :(

Nope. Not in UK jurisdiction. The hospital could have been, or could have been wary of one and not been supporting her as they outwardly claim, but the nurse herself wouldn't have been, I don't think. Just speculating, but she probably was in trouble with the hospital. They were humiliated, and they should have known that the media would try to call under all disguises. That said, they should also have had someone answering the phones and vetting calls who was trained to do that. A nurse definitely isn't prepared for that.

I think it's important to remember these DJs are not the ones who were responsible for the disgusting thing with the 14 year old. That was a HUGE scandal in Australia at the time, and Kyle Sandilands is known for being repulsive in every way. IIRC, he lost his job. The station were furious with him for that, and other things. All the breaches mentioned are about him.

As for these two - it remains to be seen whether the standards were breached. The prank was vetted by lawyers before going to air. It was definitely in poor taste, but possibly not illegal.

28. skatingfan5

Perhaps I read the time stamp incorrectly -- there was a tweet from Michael Christian which seemed to have been only an hour before I read it. Sorry if I was wrong about them still boasting about it and didn't connect that the "this morning" in news reports referred to UK time. Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa for the "anger" you inferred from my post. :slinkaway

29. *Jen*

*Jen* Well-Known Member

No no no! I meant the anger towards the radio station and hosts, which I think we all have on some level. I may have projected it rather than inferred it :shuffle:

In other news, the DJs will not be commenting - they've been told not to. Probably wise, I think it would just be inflammatory at this stage.

30. mrr50

mrr50 Well-Known Member

I have worked at hospitals for years(not as a nurse). My husband is a physician(I am not). Let me tell you about nurses. They get screamed at, by just about everyone. I believe the hospital when it states that there was no action against the nurse. I will lay you odds that both nurses were reamed pretty good.