Homeland Season 3

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by jenny12, Oct 1, 2013.

1. jenny12

jenny12 Well-Known Member

So as Breaking Bad ends, the new season of Homeland begins. Anyone watch last night? I thought it was a pretty strong season premiere and I enjoyed the senate hearings. I wonder when Brody will be back.

2. smurfy

smurfy Well-Known Member

I enjoyed it too. Poor Saul - lost so many people and then to be in charge. And Carrie. So is Saul throwing her under the bus, but in a way protecting her - by bringing up her illness. Also she has to account for 14 hours. They are in DC and she drove to the Canadian border and back, and stopped at storage locker for stuff and another stop for ID - does not seem realistic to me. Plus there probably is some surveillance footage of the car somewhere.
    The previews look crazy.
    Question - my memory seems foggy - F Murray Abraham - seemed like a secretive person last year, now seems almost like Saul's #2.
    So - big promotion/change due to the all the lost CIA folks?? Need to know more about his character, his role.
    Love Peter Quinn character! Brody's family is interesting, but hope it is less in future episodes.
    Even though Brody was not in any scene - you still feel how important he is.

3. jenny12

Yeah, at first I was uncomfortable with the Saul throwing Carrie under the bus scene as he's always her advocate, but it was done in his way for her benefit. I agree that I love Peter Quinn. Also, Tracy Letts was very commanding as the senator in charge of the hearings. He's an amazingly talented guy with her Pulitzer for August:Osage County and Tony award for drama performance.

flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  4. Holley Calmes

Holley Calmes Well-Known Member

Just finishing Season 2 on dvd....but also need to chime in about Peter Quinn. Isn't this actor Rupert Friend? Keira Knightly's ex? I remember he had a bit part in "Pride and Prejudice." I think! Can't wait to see Season 3...but we'll probably wait until it comes out for sale. Won't keep me from reading this thread though!

5. flutzilla1

flutzilla1 Well-Known Member

Has Mandy Patinkin ever been nominated for an Emmy for playing Saul? If not it is LONG overdue. My mom made a great observation about him this weekend, saying that of all the parts she's seem him play over the years, he seems to have been born to play Saul. :)

Would like to see more of Quinn and less of Brody's family.

6. Holley Calmes

Me too, especially the daughter. I found her sympathetic for awhile, but she's pretty one-note the whole 2nd season.

7. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

Yes, not sure they need to take on the teen suicide angle. I suppose they'll need the family when Brody comes back though. I want to know more about Quinn though.

Diego Klattenhoff, the actor who played "Mike" - Brody's friend/Jessica's squeeze -- is on Blacklist now.

8. jenny12

I feel the same. I think the senate hearings were very interesting and would have definitely preferred more of that and cutting some of Miss Mopey Brody daughter.

9. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

Supposedly, we will be seeing more of Quinn as he is going to get "close" with Carrie. Which is good as they are more alike than she and Brody ever were. I don't like the kids either but I think Morena Baccarin is a wonderful actress. Except I keep expecting her to pull her skin back and reveal the alien she played on V.

10. Holley Calmes

Morena Baccarin is so beautiful it makes my eyes hurt. Does she ever have a bad hair day? I doubt it.

11. jenny12

Who told Showtime that the world wanted more Dana?

12. flutzilla1

Not me, that's for sure. If they didn't show Brody's family again for the rest of the season I would be a happy camper.

Like how Quinn is sticking up for Carrie. Carrie's comment to Saul when he came to visit her had me:encore::respec::cheer2:

13. PRlady

PRlady still standing

I finished the Season 2 DVD not quite in time for the premiere but am now caught up and finally watching live.

Did someone think all the Dana angst was going to bring in younger viewers? Note to Showtime, nope. Although she's a good actress, no-one much cares.

But the new young analyst in hijab has some interesting possibilities....

14. kittyjake5

kittyjake5 Well-Known Member

What is up with Homeland? I feel like I am watching the Dana show here. Get rid of her, please.
    First two episodes get a thumbs down from me. After 2 great smack in your face seasons what
    a let down.

15. jenny12

I'm hopeful that when Brody reappears the quality will go up. However, this season hasn't gotten off to the best start. At least the Peter Quinn character is great so I am glad I have him to stare at.

16. lmarie086

lmarie086 Well-Known Member

Peter Quinn is saving this season so far, for me. He can stick around forever :swoon: (please writers, be nice to him). ITA with everyone else - what is this, the Dana show? Sure, I guess the seeing how the Brody family is coping is interesting...but there could be so much less and it'd be just as effective.

Morena Baccarin is gorgeous. rfisher, ITA! I keep thinking she's about be all "hahaha fooled ya, I'm an alien!" and peel back her skin.

rfisher and (deleted member) like this.
  17. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

I also like the Peter Quinn storyline. I guess Brody is back soon, EYS?

18. Bostonfan

Bostonfan Well-Known Member

I read that Brody returns in Episode 3.

19. mrinalini

mrinalini Active Member

Oh, thank goodness, it's about time. I, too, like everyone else, am sick of Dana. And it's great to know that she now feels alive and ready to face the world - the wonders of midnight nookie in the laundry room, eh?

20. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

Well, it helps to have a hair and make-up department do you up before you perform.

I don't find her particularly beautiful. To me she looks like the popular girl in high-school who dated the popular football/soccer player - and it turned out that is in fact how she and Brody linked up - I believe it was soccer, not football?

Her personality doesn't help. She is very repressed and pretentious. That became crystal clear when Brody wanted to tell her the truth the night they broke up, and she didn't want to hear it.

Unlike everyone else, I find Dana an interesting and compelling character.

Mostly I'm heartbroken about what Claire is going through. It's basically her second breakdown in the series. Saul threw here under a bus to avoided her being hit by the head by another. I hope their relationship can be repaired, because I do believe he has her best interests at heart.

21. jenny12

I think this season can still improve, but I'm not finding these first couple episodes as engaging as the past two seasons. I think it had to be tough to keep up the explosive pace they established, but I think Homeland could go in more interesting directions with the CIA/Government corruption angle than they are right now.

22. PRlady

PRlady still standing

That was one dreary episode last night. Really. I understand that Brody and Carrie are as low as they can go, but there must be a way of showing that without dragging us into what feels like drugged depression as well.

23. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

I was watching the Dallas Cowboys beat our Washington Football Team so I haven't watched it yet. At least I know what to expect now.

24. PRlady

PRlady still standing

:rofl: Depressed last night, depressed tonight. Poor you, although I'm glad I didn't write any more spoilers than that.

I'm going to watch The Voice, I need something upbeat.

25. kittyjake5

kittyjake5 Well-Known Member

Missed last night's episode I was watching the Red Sox/Tigers game.

Chatted with my sister this morning and she told me yes Brody is back but
    she fell asleep 30 minutes into Homeland.

26. jenny12

The Red Sox/Tigers game was a much better TV choice last night. Brody had nothing on Big Papi!

27. flutzilla1

AND no Peter Quinn either....:(

28. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

Oh it really was depressing.

29. Oreo

Oreo Active Member

I actually enjoyed episode 3, and it certainly was a whole lot better than the first two. I liked, too, that part of it was shot elsewhere (in this case what was supposed to be Venezuela) rather than everything in Washington. I've read somewhere that this season was supposed to be darker with a emphasis on the psychological aspects of the characters. The Israeli series Homeland was roughly taken from, Hatufim, or Prisoners of War, was very slow and more of a psychological drama. It was excellent.

30. flutzilla1

Holy %#$@# I did NOT see that coming. Wow wow wow. Just when I thought the show was losing its spark it reels me back in again.

Still could totally do without the Dana running off with a psychopath storyline.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.