Homeland on Showtime

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by pixie cut, Sep 21, 2012.

1. *Jen*

*Jen* Well-Known Member

Me neither, but can't wait to find out!

Total speculation, and not spoiler: they need a new VP. Estes is hero of the hour. Anyone wanna bet he becomes VP, leaving Saul in the CIA?

And damn, I thought it was Galvez all season. Now, I'm not sure.

It could be Mike - no one suspects the nice guy. But he couldn't have got the razor to that inmate last series. He's not near enough to the CIA, even though he's intelligence.

Saul? Could be. Carrie? If they want to jump the shark and give her a split personality and no recollection of it :lol: Oh I shouldn't suggest that. It might happen. :shuffle:

Brody was never supposed to survive series 1 of Homeland. I know he's signed for 5 series, but who knows what that means really. There will always be terrorists, bad guys, moles...I guess we'll see a new threat next season?

2. Jimena

Jimena Well-Known Member

I saw the next weeks preview, and I think the body sent overboard wrapped in a white sheet is actually Brody.

3. smurfy

smurfy Well-Known Member

I was thinking Nazir - the same as what was done with Bin Laden??

I am still thinking how they could keep Brody alive or out of jail (or a hospital) and not kill him. Maybe the 5 year deal was just to mess with us.
    Maybe he has an identical twin brother!

4. pixie cut

pixie cut Well-Known Member

More likely that's the cliff hanger: is it or isn't it Brody? Find out next season.

5. *Jen*

*Jen* Well-Known Member

I think you might be right!

6. Oreo

Oreo Active Member

I think you might be right, too! Supposedly the body in the white sheet is a Muslim, which could be Brody or Nazir, or less likely Galvez. Season 3 will obviously go off on another trajectory, but I can see them keeping Brody around.

7. pixie cut

The possibility still exists that Brody could turn out to still be a threat. He never told Carrie or the other CIA people -- Quinn, Estes, Saul -- that he prayed with Nazir before Nazir let him go. Nazir did say a very cryptic message when he left Brody in that alley. Something about seeing him in the afterlife. Maybe Nazir planned to be killed to set up another attack. I'm really hoping that's not it, but anything is possible. I'm of a mind that the cliff hanger will be whose body is wrapped in the shroud and dropped into the water.

8. Lutzcy

Lutzcy Active Member

Looking forward to whatever the surprises are tonight! ;)

9. pixie cut

Ditto!

Trying to anticipate what the surprises might be, but I give up. Let's go! :eek:

10. kittyjake5

kittyjake5 Well-Known Member

Well, was that Brody's swan song? Carrie's got some splaining to do.

11. centerstage01

centerstage01 Well-Known Member

I kept wondering when the jaw-dropping moment was going to come. One shouldn't wonder like that. Yikes!!!

12. jenny12

jenny12 Well-Known Member

Man, I feel terrible for Brody's family. And Saul.

13. Oreo

Oreo Active Member

I thought that was a very satisfying season finale!

14. Bostonfan

Bostonfan Well-Known Member

I suspect the best line of the episode foretells Carrie's future: "You're the smartest and dumbest fu*cking person that I've ever known"

Saul asked that the C4 be tested to see if it was the same as from the tailor shop. He knows that video of Brody was taped in conjunction with the failed vest bomb/bunker scheme. I believe Carrie will tell him the truth. And as much as I think he'll want to repeatedly smack her upside the head, he'll know she's right and cover for her. The cover story will probably be that Carrie saw Brody leave the memorial, she got curious and followed him. When the explosion happened, she got knocked out briefly, and then went on a tear "searching for Brody". Given her well-known penchant for flying headlong after Nazir, it's a story that those left behind at the intelligence agencies will believe.

And then there's Mr. Wickham - I mean Peter Quinn. He's an interesting character that also knows Carries is smart. He will likely wonder if Carrie got played, but I think he'll believe her too.

Not sure what's left for Brody's family to do in the narrative.

15. kittyjake5

kittyjake5 Well-Known Member

^Mr. Wickham from Pride & Prejudice. LOL It took me a couple of episodes to realize that was
    why Quinn seemed so familiar to me.

Saul's wife will be back in the mix, interesting.

16. pixie cut

I'm not so sure Saul isn't the mastermind. It seems rather deliberate that he wasn't there when the bomb went off.

Each actor played their scenes with great subtlety, most notably Damian Lewis, but also Mandy Patinkin, Diego Klattenhoff and Rupert Friend. Indications seem to point to Brody being guilty, but that's not certain. Maybe he was set up. Why was Saul assigned to oversee Nazir's funeral? Why didn't Quinn kill Brody? We really don't know everything about Faber. Someone did move Brody's car. He may have knowingly brought the explosives to the CIA, but it appears someone else moved the car. I was left wondering if even Carrie might be the terrorist. Why was she so ready prepared to run with a fake passport and cash. Then if she loved Brody so much, why did she send him off? The producers cleverly left no one totally guilty or totally innocent. My guess is they're not even sure themselves. They set up various scenarios and will figure them out in the writing room over the next few months.

17. loulou

loulou Let It Snow

I'm heartbroken. Not that I love the actor so much, but I surely love the love story. Why do creators think it's only interesting if love stories encounter obstacles? Isn't it nice to see people living life together sometimes?
    I know that for how it usually goes in TV Series, Brody wasn't going to have an easy second chance - now that the whole country saw his pre-suicidal video, he's probably never going to have a second chance. But when I saw the two of them together, I hoped.

BTW - The CIA should believe Brody's innocence because the attackers used the old pre-suicidal video. It doesn't make sense: if Brody was guilty, why not make a new video and show the US how their soldiers turn against them? if Brody was guilty and they wanted to preserve him, why delivering the old video?

Also, Dana is usually right about her dad. And her father is usually thruthful to her (in his behaviour, rather than in his words). Dana knows Brody wasn't up to anything. She just doesn't know (yet?) that the video she saw is old, from when she indeed knew her father was up to something.

Well, the VP character was a real piece of sh!t. The kind of man that can do real damage to a society, expecially in that position. The Brody character, in comparison, is as white as milk.

Everything, had she wanted to hear; as Brody also did with Dana.

Good for you. I thought how can I wait a whole year.

18. centerstage01

centerstage01 Well-Known Member

E! Online has an interview with the producers who have said that Saul is NOT the mole.

19. pixie cut

Perhaps. In the video on Sho.com Alex Gansa spoke about Brody as if he's totally innocent, but they wrote it to arouse considerable suspicion about his involvement. Why didn't Brody look happy when Carrie said she was leaving the CIA to be with him? Why at the end did he say to her, "You gave it up to me," as if he was gloating? Why was Saul assigned to oversee a Muslim burial at sea when he'd been on lockdown for three days?

I don't think they've made up their minds yet who the mole is.

20. walei

walei Well-Known Member

I think I read an interview with the producers before the season started where they said moles in organizations like the CIA are actually pretty common thing so they would not make it into a huge plot point. It's like this is just a fact we all have to accept that there is a mole.

Of course that was at the time the mole only gave the knife to the terrorist to off himself, not blowing up 200 people in the CIA...

21. pixie cut

We don't know who gave the guy in the safehouse a razor blade. Since Brody lied about infidelity, it's sort of been assumed Brody passed him the razor blade, but I've always believed that wasn't so. Even if Brody is guilty of knowingly driving his car with a bomb onto the CIA property, someone else moved it. So there is someone who (a) didn't even do a perfunctory check of Brody's car when he arrived and (b) moved it to the crucial spot.

Alex Gansa said Nazir didn't know Quinn, but we don't really know that. Easy enough to change. We don't even know Quinn's real name. He doesn't actually exist to the CIA, so he could easily be a mole or worse. He didn't explode. He didn't kill Brody. Lots to play with for season three.

I tend to think we haven't seen the last of Brody. Doubtful he'll be on at the start of season three, but he'll appear at some point.

22. walei

walei Well-Known Member

Ohhhh I just realized something.

If Nazir planned his own death to let the CIA drop their guard, that means it is still possible for Brody to be in on the plan. Brody was good on the information he gave the CIA as Quinn said, but it could be part of their plan! There is still the mystery that if Brody questions everything Nazir says, why was he praying with him and lie about it. And when Nazir dropped Brody off, he said "if everything goes as planned, we will not see each other again".

This show is 10/10.

23. *Jen*

*Jen* Well-Known Member

Amazing ep! Especially at the end.

IMO, Carrie could easily explain away her absence. She was chasing after Brody as someone said before, or perhaps she was in a psychotic state.

I'm in two minds about whether Brody knew. They both could have been in that room, but weren't. Either way, we definitely saw him park his car so there's someone else who moved it.

Brody didn't tell anyone about the praying, and he didn't even tell Carrie about killen Walden. Not the full story. She thinks he supplied the serial number, but doesn't know he was all "I'm killing you!!!" to Walden as he lay dying.

I thought he was going to ask Dana to come to the memorial too, when she asked about Finn, but since it was a CIA memorial I guess it makes sense he didn't.

I don't think it's realistic that Brody can get out of Canada without being caught. They might not know he's alive, but his face is all over the TV.

Either way, that episode has really got me thinking, which is always the sign of a good show!

24. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

Not to mention that he is now a Congressman too - more impact if he was guilty.

How long do we think he drove around with this bomb in his car? Besides in his driveway, where else was Brody's car? Did he have it with him when Roya's team took him to Nazir? Was it at the lake house?

Didn't Carrie get up from the funeral first, then Brody followed her out? I know he made some kind of face at her, but did he suggest they leave in the middle of the service or did she?

25. *Jen*

*Jen* Well-Known Member

I don't know. She got up, but I thought it was because he made a face. Who knows? We'll eventually find out :lol:

His car wasn't at the Lakehouse. It was just hers. There was time for the bomb to have been put in then.

And don't they have security cameras? Won't Carrie be easily found out for driving Brody around?

26. pixie cut

There are many holes. Why would he take the SUV when his wife had the kids? They had two cars. It would make sense if he's leaving the family he'd leave her the SUV and take the smaller car.
    What was the SUV Carrie was driving when she took Brody to the border? They drove away from the CIA in her car -- let's assume security cameras were damaged in the explosion -- but they arrived at the Canadian border in a car that looked like Brody's SUV.
    When exactly was Carrie's car repaired? I asked that in episode 11 when she was driving home from the CIA and then went back to the warehouse where Nazir was. Her car was nearly totaled when Nazir hit her and kidnapped her.

Where was Brody's car when they were at the cabin? More likely this occurred the night after they were at the cabin. Carrie said she was going to spend the night at her sister's house. Brody didn't say where he was going and that wasn't shown. He went to see Faber and called Jessica about the suit, but Brody's whereabouts the night before the memorial weren't shown. Plenty of time to plant a bomb in his car with or without his knowledge.

27. *Jen*

*Jen* Well-Known Member

Good points.

Brody would havae taken the SUV because it's his car. Jessica had the other car from the first episode of series 1, and the SUV only happened after he became a congressman. If you're leaving your wife, I guess you don't take her car.

The SUV they drove to the border was explained. I'll have to go back and watch that bit again, but when Carrie explained the escape plan to Brody, part of it included changing cars.

Carrie's car...was it a rental? That would explain why she already has another.

NO idea where Brody was the night before the memorial. To be explained later, I guess.

28. pixie cut

In season one they had two cars. One was a larger station wagon type car and a smaller sedan. When Brody went to the CIA for the polygraph and then in the parking lot told Carrie to get in the car and they wound up at the cabin, he was in a smaller car. If I'm not mistaken, in the episode in season two where he drove Dana to school the day after he got back from being detained by the CIA, he was in a smaller car.

I thought so, but I have to rewatch. That happened very quickly.

Never explained. She arrived at the CIA from the warehouse. They told her to go home. She got in what looked like her old car and drove away. Quite certain no one said, "We fixed your car," or "We have a rental for you."

That clearly will be part of the plot next season. Someone put the bomb in the car. Clues point both toward Brody being in on it and being totally innocent. A perfect Homeland scenario.

29. loulou

loulou Let It Snow

Estes was praising the dead VP, and Brody was saying "no" with his head, and rolling his eyes a bit. And he is right: we are used to think a highly ranked politician is a good man, or at least a man in good faith, but the dead VP was neither. And, as the serie shows, he did so much damage in his life, and much more he was going to do.

I think that's why Brody was happy seeing him die.

Let's assume he's not a terrorist at this point: he wouldn't have gone and kill the VP if it wasn't to save someone he loved, but I completely understand how he would feel happy in the moment, when seeing him die. Expecially after caring so much for Nazir's child, and seeing him blown up.

Carrie decided she wanted to be with Brody, probably right when he made the face.

The praying part, could just be that the muslim religion is Brody's religion too now.

-- The only thing I can't quite figure out, is Nazir's goodbye to Brody: "If everything goes well, we won't see each other again in this life". It could be that Nazir was talking about himself only. But it's a bit weird.

30. *Jen*

*Jen* Well-Known Member

The only thing about praying with Nazir is the fact that when the CIA asked him for his account, and asked 'anything else' at the end, Brody didn't mention it. But we, the audience saw it, so I think we're supposed to know that Brody is hiding things.

As for the farewell - with the benefit of hindsight, it could be read both ways.

I'll check when I get home tonight, but I'm quite sure that the SUV has been Brody's car all season and that he has only driven it. He definitely dropped them off at school in it, because his son (name?) commented that it smelled smokey, which as we know was because the tailor had been smoking in it, but I can't remember the first episodes.

Either way, he was in it most of the time. Jess got the house, it makes sense he gets the car.