Homeland on Showtime

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by pixie cut, Sep 21, 2012.

1. smurfy

smurfy Well-Known Member

The CIA said that to Brody, so he went along with it. He did pull the vest and it did not work and then went to the bathroom to fix it.
    Brody is so messed up. Because he was swayed by Abu Nazir, it must be easy to sway him back - he is in survival mode? Going along with what is in front of him?
    Lewis is just amazing conveying what is going on with Brody. And the continuation of the affair as a cover is very useful. Now in hindsight the affair really fits into the story much more than before.

Me too - shows like this are much better watching episodes back to back! But I have no patience!!!

2. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

I think he is just floundering at this point. We will see.

3. kittyjake5

kittyjake5 Well-Known Member

Sheesh another great episode! Who is working for who here, I wish I knew. lol Things ar really heating up!

4. pixie cut

pixie cut Well-Known Member

That's the beauty of this show and of the Brody character. We are always surprised.

5. *Jen*

*Jen* Well-Known Member

I did not see that coming :eek: 7 casualties?! And I guess the guy who took his helmet off will become key later on...because I didn't recognise him now. Did anyone?

6. smurfy

smurfy Well-Known Member

The guy in the helmet - is that the guy that met the reporter chick?
    Every episode of the show is wow! No down time.
    It will be interesting to see where Mike and the other guy that know he is involved in Walker's murder keep going.
    And Dana going to the hospital and talking to the victim's daughter - you know that is not good.
    Previews look like Carrie and Brody getting together. Not good for Carrie and not good for Brody either. They are both so fragile.
    Before the shootout - I did like that Quinn (right name?) tooked what Carrie said seriously.

7. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

Yes, the guy who took his helmet off is the one the reporter met.

So Quinn is still alive.

8. Eden

Eden Well-Known Member

After watching all of the Homeland's second season episodes which were aired so far, I am a little disappointed.
    IMO, it became another very good action tv series and we had those already (24/NCIS...)
    I'm afraid it lost its uniqueness. :(
    It is still good, don't get me wrong, but it lost its first season wow effect.

It's too bad that Homeland's producers didn't stick to the original ideas (at least partly) of the Israeli version of Hatufim/POW.
    Now there the second season is even better than the first one, and the wow effect only grows with every episode.

Homeland became another well done and very interesting action drama, while the Israeli Hatufim remained a pshycological thriller that keeps your attention all the way.
    You really don't know there who works for who, and who operates who, which makes it a material to think about long after you watched each episode.
    Maybe hulu will be kind enough to have the second season as well with english subtitles

9. centerstage01

centerstage01 Well-Known Member

I recently got Showtime and they had the entire series on their On Demand section so I mainlined the whole thing in about two weeks and am caught up through tonight's episode. I'm really liking it and Claire Danes and Damien Lewis so very much deserved their Emmys (I demand one for Mandy Patinkin next year).

My main concern though is did they reveal too much about Brody too soon? I guess I thought they'd drag out the 'is he or isn't he' question a lot longer. Kind of makes me wonder what else they'll have to tell if they drop all those bombs so soon. Carrie's concern for him and whether she really does still love him or if she's playing him for info will have to take the place of whether he's a double agent.

Also, I hate Brody's daughter. I don't understand why the writers are so focused on her and her uber-teenaged angst with the VP's son and their mowing down some woman after a joyride. She's also a horrible actress and mumbles all her lines. I'm getting really tired of her staring at the floor, too.

What's going to happen when Mike and his friend (the guy with crutches...can't remember his name) finally tell Brody they know about him?

flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  10. pixie cut

They don't know about him. They just have suspicions. You know the bullet Mike found missing isn't going to be the one that killed Tom Walker.

The producers seem to keep the surprises coming. Enjoying season two fully.

11. pixie cut

Not the best episode, but for me even a so-so episode of Homeland is better than 95% of what's on TV. I enjoyed that Brody seems as screwed up in his feelings for Carrie as she is for him.

The plot with Brody's daughter isn't really doing it for me, although I suppose it does cast a light on how the family of an ambitious politician sometimes give up themselves and their souls for the politician's ambitions.

flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  12. liv

liv Well-Known Member

I just bought the first season because I can't get it on a channel here, and I did enjoy it. I am now going to start watching the second season from England with expat shield.

I think i'm in the minority re: Claire Danes. I think she is a good actress, she really portrays her character well, but I cannot stand Carrie. I like her sometimes, but then I just want to shake her and make her calm down or stop sounding so hysterical all the time. Her voice is constantly shaking and she's always thinking she's right. It drives me crazy. I don't know how some of the other people around her can stand her half the time. That being said, that is the character, flaws and all the rest of it.

As for Brody, I think he's great.... and Saul, I just love Saul. Mandy Patinkin is such a good actor.

I looked up the Israeli series, but only found it without subtitles, so I'm glad there's a link with subtitles. Looking forward to that very much.

13. Bostonfan

Bostonfan Well-Known Member

You do understand that she's portraying someone with a mental illness, right? The shaky voice and manic behaviors are part of her illness. As someone who has a sister-in-law with the same bi-polar disorder, Danes is pitch perfect. It can be dizzying to be around my SIL when she's having a bad day.

14. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

Carrie was so frustrating this week. I wanted to scream at her to get away from Brody! But at the same time it's so honest.

15. kittyjake5

Good show. I was surprised of the suicide of Aileen, did not see that coming. Poor Saul he thought
    he had a connection with Aileen (but she was as hard as nails until the end). I think Saul's loneliness
    about his separation from his wife clouded his judgment here. As to Brody's daughter, enough already.

16. loulou

loulou Well-Known Member

:)

I guess I'm on my own on that, but I like Brody's daughter character and story lines, I think it adds dimension to the show, because she's not an adult, because she's not an agent or a politician.

I like very much the romance between Claire and Brody, and I'm hoping they'll end up together: Brody doesen't connect with his wife anyway. But then, Brody is a murderer, and I'm not sure how the show can give him his life back.

For one thing, Carrie's good. She's better than the people around her, which must be a frustrating situation (hence the high pitch voice and the hysteria).

17. smurfy

smurfy Well-Known Member

Just watched tonights episode (11/18).
    OMG - never laughed so hard for this show when Saul and the others had to listen and Carrie and Brody! Poor Saul!
    And Carrie has lost some of the credibility she just got back!

Oh Dana - poor kid - I like that she went to Mike and her comment to him about how hard it was for him once her dad came back. Nice to have - even if it seems like such a long time ago. And I want love Mike's townhouse!
    The VP moves quick to clean up the mess. Also with Dana going to Mike - tying more in with Mike, the other vet (name?) and if Dana and/or Brody's wife talking to Mike - will give Mike and other vet some info. Having Mike around - makes me think he and/or the other vet will somehow become involved for the big payoff relating to Brody. Hope that makes sense.

I like how I really am not sure where this show is going.

18. *Jen*

*Jen* Well-Known Member

I might be in the minority here but I like Dana and the actress who plays her. Most teenage actresses overact, this girl doesn't She mumbles her lines, sure, but....teenagers mumble ;) I think it's the most realistic portrayal of a teen I've seen in a long time, and she did brilliantly with the crying scenes tonight.

I also want to shake Carrie half the time, but I love that it's a realistic portrayal of mental illness and that there are such multi-dimensional characters on TV. It's rare these days, especially on American tv.

19. Oreo

Oreo Active Member

I cracked up laughing, too. You can imagine the fun they had filming that along with the extra audio!

20. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

I like Dana, too. Morgan Saylor does an excellent job at portryaing a believable teenager.

Great show this week, as usual. The sex scene with Saul and Quinn overhearing was sooo awkward! :lol:

21. MarieM

MarieM Well-Known Member

Ok so now that he's back with the good doctor, what will happen ?

22. pixie cut

Is "he" Brody and "the good doctor" Nazir? If yes, I think it's obvious Nazir will mind f Brody again to bring him back into the fold. Then when Brody goes back to Washington, DC it will be prolonged to the end of the season which side he's actually on.

If I had to predict how the season will play out, I think Brody will make his allegiance to Carrie clear. Just when all seems well -- maybe they'll even get Nazir -- something big will provide the cliff hanger for the season finale. My money is on the CIA traitor being revealed. That was an idea planted in season one and basically ignored so far in season two. We don't really know who gave the guy the razor blade in the safe house. The assumption is it was Brody, but there's no proof it was. Could have been Saul or another CIA person.

23. loulou

loulou Well-Known Member

Maybe Nazir's people were watching/listening too?
    They seem to know.

I'm so bad at not knowing, I like to know the plot of movies before I watch them. Yes, I'm the person no one wants to share the pre-watching rituals with.
    And I WANNA KNOW if Carrie and Brody will end up together!

-- Guess Carrie just answered my previous doubts: how can the show give Brody a second chance after what he did? If he saves the US from an attack. Which, if you ask me, is a bit of a stretch, but maybe they'll pull it nicely.

24. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

I think so too. She reminds me exactly of a friend's child. Self conscious, sometimes eye rolling, mumbling to adults, not making eye contact, freaking out.

25. pixie cut

He told them. In fact, he told them he was having sex with her even when he wasn't. Roya told him to renew the relationship. In the scene with Carrie and Brody in the car in the Congressional parking garage she said, "You told Roya we're seeing each other." He answered, "I told her we're f'ing." When he saw Roya after he spent the night with Carrie in the motel he said something like, "I was f'ing her like you told me to do." Of course Nazir's people know. Don't think they were listening, but who knows. Whoever heard got quite the show. Maybe there will be a sex tape. ;)

26. loulou

loulou Well-Known Member

No, I meant: maybe they know the CIA found out he was a terrorist, and they heard Carrie telling Brody he could make up for everything by fighting Nazir.

27. pixie cut

They clearly know something is up based on Brody's tantrum with Roya and then he stormed off and disappeared. I'd think if they knew for sure he had a deal with the CIA, they'd just have killed him. More likely they suspect something and now they're going to turn him back.

28. kittyjake5

This week's episode had my head spinning in a good way. I think that Roya and her gang do suspect Brody and
    to get him to prove that he is still part of their cause they will probably have him be an integral part of the attack
    (remember he had agreed earlier to be a sucide bomber) I believe he is captured now and he will not be chatting or
    sleeping with Carrie any time soon. We will just have to wait and see. Such a great program!

29. pixie cut

Out of respect for people who haven't seen it yet, I will not spoil it. I'll just say I didn't see that twist coming.

30. Oreo

Oreo Active Member

I missed something. Why did they decide to start checking out Quinn?