Homeland on Showtime

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by pixie cut, Sep 21, 2012.

1. pixie cut

pixie cut Well-Known Member

Is anyone else excited for season two?

I loved season one and I'm ready for more.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  2. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

I am! When does it start?

3. jeffisjeff

jeffisjeff Well-Known Member

Last weekend I watched season 1, episode 2 on free on-demand. I had watched season 1, episode 1 last year when it was available free on demand. Finally seeing episode 2 led me to order the first season DVD. I love Damian Lewis! I suppose I'll have to wait a while to see season 2, given that I do not have Showtime.

4. pixie cut

It debuts on Sept. 30.

Do get season one on DVD. It's well worth watching.

Damian Lewis is superb.

5. WildRose

WildRose Well-Known Member

Great show - really looking forward to Season 2.

6. jeffisjeff

jeffisjeff Well-Known Member

It is schedule for delivery on Monday. :D

7. pixie cut

Glad I started this thread. Now we have a chance to discuss as season two unfolds.

8. jenny12

jenny12 Well-Known Member

One of the very best shows on TV. Claire Danes and Damien Lewis are awesome.

It (or Breaking Bad) would get my vote for Best Drama series at the Emmys.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2012
  9. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

Season 1 was one of the best seasons of tv ever. I can't wait for season 2.

10. smurfy

smurfy Well-Known Member

Glad to have a discussion set for the season. Great show, wonderful acting!

11. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

It is my fave drama on TV. Glad it showed up to replace Lost and The Tudors for me.

12. kittyjake5

kittyjake5 Well-Known Member

Watching season one I just fnsihed episode five. Changed my cable service today from HBO to Showtime. Best darn show on TV, love it.

Damien Lewis and Clare Danes are superb.

13. pixie cut

:)

14. loulou

loulou Well-Known Member

I liked Homeland, even though it's got a darker shadow over it than my usual cup of tea.

I'm so upset for how seson one ended: is Claire Danes' character going to remember about the killed kid? No, of course, she probably won't.

Who has the memory card that Brody recorded before going on suicide mission? The father of the kid, I'm assuming. When will he pull it out? Cause he will, eventually.

Will the Claire character still be in love with Brody? So much for a troubled relationship.

Overall, I wished they'd wrapped it up in one season, while I'm really bummed NBC didn't renew The Firm - without even a proper closure.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2012
  15. Bostonfan

Bostonfan Well-Known Member

And don't forget Mandy Patinkin... HOLLA!:lol:

Seriously, I'm ready to jump back in - let's Season 2 begin!

16. Verbalgirl77

Verbalgirl77 is silently judging you

I'm definitely excited for the season premiere tonight. Love this show! :40beers:

17. pixie cut

What did everyone think?

I thought it was a solid start. They obviously had to come down from the climax of season one. You slowly see Carrie getting her fire back. Claire Danes is so :kickass:.

I'm ready for next week.

18. smurfy

smurfy Well-Known Member

Great start. I am so glad I rewatched the last episode this weekend. Setting up the season so far for ep 1. Love Brody and Dana!
    Loved the look of joy on Carrie's face when she escaped the guy in the market. She is back!

19. rjblue

rjblue Re-registered User

I enjoyed the Brody and Dana scenes too.

My heart was breaking for Carrie's sister. This is the worst thing that could happen for Carrie's mental health.

20. iamawake2

iamawake2 Member

Think I could find previous seasons on Netflix? I'm in Seattle by the way not that it makes any difference.

21. pixie cut

Season one is on DVD, so it should also be on Netflix.

22. kittyjake5

I finished Season 1. Brody is something else, evil incarnate. Poor Carrie the last few episodes she got so beaten down not only by her disease but by Brody. I dislike his character here just as much as I did in the Forsyth Woman. lol.
    Loving Saul hope he stays around.

Brody's daughter better be careful snooping around, we know how easily Brody kills.

I will watch the Season 2 episode 1 on demand tonight. Not sure where season 2 will take us because the story line for Brody being a suicide bomber can't go on forever.

23. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

I don't think Brodie is evil. He was in a terrible place and was treated kindly by someone. He reacted to that kindness. Right now, I think he's confused. Sort of a Stockholm situation, but not an obvious one. He wants to do the right thing. He just doesn't know what "right" is. I think the show did a good job trying to portray him as conflicted as Carrie is with her mental problems. Now, if he kills his wife or his kids, that would be evil. Otherwise, I see him as a tortured soul. I don't think he killed the other captive easily.

24. pixie cut

I don't see Brody as evil at all. He's a tortured soul. He was physically tortured, mentally abused and then utterly manipulated. His personal pain is overwhelming and Damian Lewis plays it to perfection.

Carrie was dead-on in her instincts about him being a potential terrorist, but she did exceed all boundaries by sleeping with him. I think she's drawn to his inner torment because she's also tormented.

If Brody was just evil people wouldn't be so engrossed by the show. It's the complexity of the situations that makes it so compelling.

As for Saul, don't be so sure he's the good guy. There have been many indications that there's a traitor inside the CIA. Clues have been dropped several times that it could be Saul -- such as when he failed his first polygraph and attributed it to being emotionally charged due to a crisis. I don't know whether the writers will ultimately go down that path, but it's definitely been presented as a possibility.

None of the central characters are all good or all evil.

smurfy and (deleted member) like this.
  25. smurfy

smurfy Well-Known Member

I agree with pixiecut and r fisher - Brody is a product of what happened to him, is tortured. I don't think he can be all evil, as then his character would not last long.
    One thought I had - maybe over time he will turn and then work with the CIA to reveal all of the network he meets? Just a thought after that reporter came to see him.
    Interesting thought about Saul!

26. Bostonfan

Bostonfan Well-Known Member

It would be easy to justify Brody's actions as someone who is a victim that's being manipulated. But I don't see Brody as completely brainwashed and helpless against his conditioning. He's aware of what he's doing. But nor do I see him as a sociopath that can charm his way through life while carrying out some anti-U.S. agenda.

27. pixie cut

He's clearly not completely brainwashed or he wouldn't have stopped short of blowing up the holding room with the VP and other government officials. Carrie was right on when she told the daughter to call him and talk him down.

If he was totally set in his focus he wouldn't be so conflicted. He's aware of what he's doing, but the more time he spends with his family he clearly feels a push back toward his old beliefs.

The whole point is to show that no one is all good or all bad. Let's not forget what a big liar the vice president is depicted as.

28. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

And, Carrie's boss dismissed Brodie's comments about the drones and there being thousands of them which struck at the heart of the dead child. Every double agent is essentially a traitor to their country or people. They betray them for money or ideology. Brodie's ideology is conflicted. I agree that the show is so compelling because the audience doesn't know what he'll do. Will he kill his fellow country men? Will he take his finger off the trigger at the last minute? You just don't know. The acting is so good on Homeland. I just hope the writers continue to give them excellent material.

29. kittyjake5

I don't have any sympathy for Brody's actions. There were to many instances where he lies and manipulates. He does not want his wife to know he is a practicing Muslim, he asks his daughter to keep it a secret, he knows Carrie is on to him so he reports her not to Saul but to her boss. He uses people too, like when he asked Steve to talk to his wife about entering politics. When the bomb did not work he went into the bathroom and tried to get it working. The conversation he had with his daughter while he was in the safe room was telling to me also. Did he go home and realize what he almost done and have second thoughts about carrying out this plan, no he contacted Azir (sp) to hatch up a new plan for destruction. Maybe Azir is the evil one in this story but imo Brody is not far behind. His actions do not solicit sympathy from me even though he may be brainwashed.

But hey that is just my opinion. The writing is so excellent, the acting riveting and the storyline to me is very realistic, it is almost easy to forget that I am watching fiction.

30. pixie cut

Another good episode with a definite kaboom of an ending.