Hollywood Memarees: Fatal Attraction 25 Years Later

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Rex, Sep 20, 2012.

1. PRlady

PRlady Smoking

We cynical inside-the-Beltway types. ;) Annette was as good as possible in a silly role, though.

2. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

I think he's OK in the limited range of roles he usually does (business/executive type guy). But like Rex I don't get him as a big sex symbol. But since he's allegedly a sex addict, maybe Douglas himself doesn't get it either and is trying to overcompensate :lol:

3. peibeck

peibeck Letting Poje be on top

Although as a gay guy how could I not root for Cher, but I was rooting for Holly Hunter. "Broadcast News" and "My Life as a Dog" were my two favorite movies of that year.

Ugh, "Braveheart" is awful. I can't believe it WON on top of being nominated for Best Picture. :scream: But that was not really a very good year for movies either.

I think part of (or a lot of) my disdain for "Fatal Attraction" came from a lot of the press it received at the time, citing Glenn Close's character as a metaphor for AIDS. :mad:

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  4. Alex Forrest

Alex Forrest Banned Member

Glenn was misunderstood. She meets this cheating cad, plays with him over dinner and then he f's her on her kitchen sink. And HE is the good guy?. He kept coming back, even though he had a wife and daughter. Was it a daughter? It could have been interpreted as a son? Maybe a transgender child?

What irks me, and I get pretty cranky at times, is that Mike Douglas comes away as some sort of hero even though he cheated on his wife and misled a sexy though badly permed, chick. He should pay the price.

What I don't like about this film is that though poor Alex went a bit cray, no one ever questioned the a holes who used, abused, misused and fought her.

This movie didn't prevent cheating husbands. It is not a statement of the 80s. This movie has no relevance.

5. duane

duane New Member

FA is a 1930's movie with 1980's sex and violence. Dan is the good guy--the perfect husband, father, and provider who makes a mistake. Alex is the villain--an unmarried floozie who knowingly sleeps with a married man and then goes nuts. Of course, the villain dies at the end, and the redeemed good guy--reunited with his family--can live happily ever-after.

6. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

A transgender child? What, because she had a somewhat unattractive haircut? Are you serious?

7. triple_toe

triple_toe Well-Known Member

Cruise was good in Magnolia IMO.

8. michiruwater

Cruise really isn't that bad an actor. Neither is Michael Douglass (I actually am surprised that so many people seem to think so). I mean, Jesus, we're ragging on them in a world that contains Keanu Reeves? Really?

And, also, An American President is like 50 shades of ridiculous and I still love it. Sometimes you just want a movie that makes you smile. Annette Bening is gorgeous in that movie, she just glows all the way through.

Matryeshka and (deleted member) like this.
  9. Cyn

Cyn Well-Known Member

I'll be the first to admit that Michael Douglas' character in FA was one of a Grade-A tool for sleeping with the sigh-co, but I have to disagree with the idea that he got off, for the most part, scott-free for the hell he put his family through.

I think part of the point was that even though Alex ended up swimming in her own blood with a bullet hole in her chest, the ending (at least for me), was that he was condemned to live the rest of his life with not only the guilt for the havoc and tragedy he wreaked on his family, but what the future held for his family.

Beth (Ann Archer's character), I would surely hope, gave him holy hell from then on out for what he did. IOW, if he so much as muttered one complaint about anything she may do in the future, no matter how minute, she held the ultimate trump card with "Hey, assmunch, I'm not the one who fcuked that nutbag that almost got all of us killed, so STFU and take the trash out/clean the gutters/do my very bidding/*insert snark of your choice."

10. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

he's very good in the game, basically playing himself having a very bad week

11. LuckyCharm

LuckyCharm Well-Known Member

I agree with Cyn. I have no doubt that once the dust settled, that marriage was doomed. No delusions of happily ever after for me, despite the closing scene. I personally still really enjoy this flick. I watch it almost every time I stumble across it on TV. I love watching the cheater being tormented, and Michael Douglas plays it extremely well, IMO. I love his look of helpless terror every time he almost gets caught. Yes, the ending unsatisfying, but even now, every time I watch there's a tiny part of my brain that believes he'll finally get what's coming to him this time.:lol:

Agree with Alex that the film probably didn't stop many people from cheating, and it was rather silly to think that it might on any large scale. However, I think the style of film making and the story itself are very much emblematic of the 80s. One thing I appreciate about it is that it's an adult story starring actors who looked like real adults. I feel like we don't see this enough anymore. I imagine if this were remade today, it would have a cast of actors who could pass for high-schoolers, or they'd even rewrite it to be about actual high-schoolers. I can't imagine Glenn Close and Ann Archer, with all their 40yo fabulousness, would be considered for sexy leading lady roles like this if it were being cast according to 2012 standards.

12. duane

duane New Member

Swimfan

13. LuckyCharm

LuckyCharm Well-Known Member

Exactly!

14. leesaleesa

leesaleesa Active Member

Micheal Douglas was pretty good in King of California, but otherwise I find him bland. Fatal attraction was ok, but nothing worth watching again unless it's rainy and there is nothing else to do.

To answer the poster who asked if Tom Cruise ever did anything that required acting, I urge you to see the very excellent Cocktail. He got that babysitter girl pregnant in that one, and twirled some liquor bottles, and.....Well, yeah it sucked like most stuff he did. Born on the fourth of July, maybe?

15. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

tom cruise has always had crazy eyes like that runaway bride. unless he gets a part where he's crazy, i'm not buying it.

16. michiruwater

Swimfan was explicitly stated to be Fatal Attraction for teens, and holy crap was it bad. Erika Christensen did a good job, but everything else about the movie from start to finish was bad bad bad.

17. NinjaTurtles

NinjaTurtles Teenage Mutant

It irks me greatly how Fatal Attraction started being used as an example for Borderline Personality Disorder, even in some psychology classes! :rolleyes:

18. michiruwater

:lol: My Psych of Film Professor class used it as an example of borderline. I had read several interviews before I took that class that the character was supposed to suffer from De Clerambault's Syndrome specifically, and when I asked him about that vs. BPD he just kind of dismissed me.