Holiday procrastinators anonymous

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Aceon6, Dec 24, 2010.

1. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

Ok everyone, fess up. What do you have left to do? I have an excuse (was sick, see Stomach Virus thread), but I just finished wrapping today and haven't started making any of the food that I need to take to Christmas Eve dinner. I'm a planner, and am really uneasy with how far behind I am. Anyone else?
    Angelskates and (deleted member) like this.
  2. agalisgv

agalisgv Well-Known Member

If what you wrote is considered behind, I don't think there's a word for me.
  3. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

Thanks for the reminder. I need to start thinking about gift-shopping.
  4. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

I'm with Agalisgv. But seriously, Christmas Eve dinner will be fine, even if you pick up everything at the grocery store premade. I'm still working one-handed (literally) and everyone got put on notice weeks ago that Christmas dinner was going to be at someone else's house and that I'd be happy to arrange to buy anything needed. So, it's spiral sliced ham instead of turkey, and Costco's yummy sweet potato casserole with some of my pecans crumbled on top, and so on. And it will be great.
  5. jamesy

jamesy Well-Known Member

Are your kids too old to believe that Christmas got moved back to early January?
  6. KikiSashaFan

KikiSashaFan Well-Known Member

I was done shopping and wrapping weeks ago. The only way I'm behind is over the past month I've tivoed dozens of holiday movies and specials and haven't watched any of them yet. Movie marathon tomorrow I guess....Yes I know, rough life :shuffle:
  7. cruisin

cruisin Well-Known Member

I was done shopping and wrapping a few days ago. I do Christmas Day dinner and never shop until the day before. I get up at 7:00 am Christmas Eve, have some coffee and go to the grocery store to avoid some of the crowds. This year has been very difficult, though. My mother has been in the hospital for the last week and was just transferred to a rehab facility. Lots of tests, not much in the way of answers. But she's 80 and has a 10" aortic stent, COPD, and other more complicated issues, so we're happy she's here. We didn't know until today if she would be able to leave for the afternoon and spend Christmas at home. She will, so I will cook. But I have no decorations except a tree. With going to the hospital and having a bathroom renovated, I have barely had time to bathe. So, there are gifts and a tree, and food, but it will be a rather exhausting and less festive holiday.
  8. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

Cruisin -- I'm glad you're getting your mom home for Christmas -- I'm sure that whatever you pull together will be less important than just knowing you're together. Happy Holidays.
  9. Schmeck

Schmeck New Member

Well, I should be wrapping stocking stuffers right now, but instead I'm online - can I be president of the HPA?

Also need to clean up 2 more rooms in the house, and wrap a few more presents, besides the stocking stuff. Oh, and I want to dye my hair to hide the grey before the big party tomorrow...

Ok, I've got to go now, seeing it all typed out made me stressed, LOL!
  10. ice dance

ice dance Member

I put off doing a few things, and managed to injure my hand yesterday, so now I can't do a lot. Stuff like wrapping, last-minute tidying, etc, that you need two good hands to do. Really regretting it now.
  11. Lacey

Lacey Well-Known Member

Everyone's presents, all 13 people, are wrapped except for DH. Fortunately, just have a tiny bit of fresh food to get tomorrow at a farmer's market, going to go at 8am. Oh, and hurricane daughter is home from NY, I am sure she's way behind, always does everything at the last minute and is out tonight. Our actual Christmas will be quiet. 4 grandbabies arrive Sunday, other 2 Monday. That's when the fun really starts, so I still have time yet.
  12. mmscfdcsu

mmscfdcsu Skating Pairs with Drew

I have not started thinking about Christmas for friends and family. I did manage to do a good job of getting gifts and party for clients. I completed that shopping about 45 minutes before the clients showed up on site. :lol:
  13. Nomad

Nomad Well-Known Member

I have some cooking to do tomorrow. Shopping and wrapping are done. My US cards all went out late, though.
  14. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

Christmas is pretty much cancelled in my house. I was gone/travelling the two weekends I usually get presents, I came back with a nasty cold and tons of work to catch up on. Finally feel better today but at this point what's the point? People will get stuff in January. Or not. Who knows.

I am however making "my"* traditional Christmas french toast tonight so it will be ready to cook on Saturday. And maybe some cookies. :)

* I totally appropriated this tradition from FSU poster Cupid in 2005.
  15. cruisin

cruisin Well-Known Member

Thank you :). It has been a challenge. Much as I love Mom and worry about her, she can be anxiety inducing (;)). But, I'm glad she'll be with us here in my home and that we won't have to celebrate in the rehab (aka nursing home wing). And my best wishes to you and your family for the holidays.

Glad you're feeling better. How do you make French toast ahead of time?
  16. SoNaoWat?

SoNaoWat? New Member

Cruisin- Hope your mother will be ok and have a good holiday.

As for myself, I just finished my shopping tonight. I had to buy groceries for the Saturday meal. My parents, siblings and I usually have our family dinner and open all presents on Christmas day, but this year, Mom and Dad are leaving early Christmas morning to go see my grandpa. So, the sisters and I are on our own. Tomorrow night we will have a family dinner and open presents. Saturday morning, the kids and I will open presents and then we will go to my middle sister's house and have lunch.

Regarding the wrapping and stuff, I've developed my own tradition of procrastination. I keep everything I buy for the kids in the trunk of my car. I drive around with it all in my trunk until finally, after the kids go to sleep on Christmas eve night, I bring everything in and wrap it. There is nothing under the tree until Christmas eve at about 2:00 a.m. when I finally finish wrapping! Earlier, I was remembering one time years ago when I couldn't find a pair of scissors in the house and I cut all the wrapping paper with a kitchen knife!
  17. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

I'm sorry you hurt your hand. I had surgery earlier in the month and learning to deal without my right hand has been a pain. At least I can type again. I hope your hand feels better very soon.

I did my "wrapping" one-handed this year with gift bags. Grab the middle of a piece of tissue paper with your good hand and sharply snap it. Now put it into the bag. Repeat several more times, and you now have a great looking gift bag. The dollar store provided the tissue paper and a bunch of gift bags. No tape, no ribbon. Used some stick on gift labels, and voila!
  18. rjblue

rjblue Re-registered User

It's 3:30 in the morning here. I finished my shopping at 4 this afternoon. I'm about 2/3 through my wrapping. No cooking done, just a tray of sweets I bought at a bake sale at work. I don't have my clothes for church tomorrow afternoon washed yet.

And I just realised that I've completely forgotten to buy my daughter a birthday present. Her birthday is the 27th!

I win. :(
  19. agalisgv

agalisgv Well-Known Member

:HA!:

You just think you've won! I still have to put up the tree, decorate it, finish my shopping, buy groceries, do laundry, wrap presents, pick up relatives from the airport, drop off some children who walked in yesterday and announced they wanted to spend the night (so not much happened after that), prepare all the food since no one will help, and drive to the next city to drop off presents for friends before Xmas.

Beat that!
  20. Angelskates

Angelskates Well-Known Member

:eek: ((((agalisgv)))) Good luck with that! I've got just over 2 hours to go and am all done, watching carols and waiting to go to midnight mass. I'll say a prayer for you all :p
    mmscfdcsu and (deleted member) like this.
  21. AYS

AYS Cruder than you thought

Haven't wrapped anything (though thanksfully Mr AYS has done fair amount), need to go out and get all stocking stuffers, need to get something to bring to BIL's house on Christmas day (tomorrow), need to get vino to bring to 2 parties on the 26th and really need to get at least one more little something for Mr AYS. :yikes:

And I'm sitting here working and planning to go work out. :shuffle:
  22. sk8pics

sk8pics Well-Known Member

Mmmmmmnnnnnnn.... recipe or description please?
  23. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

are they squatters?
  24. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

:scream::scream::scream:
  25. viennese

viennese Well-Known Member

last gift shopping attempt, this morning at 9 am.
    one of the stores had run out of gift cards.
    heck with it, will buy them online.

i have no excuse
  26. ice dance

ice dance Member

Thankyou. I hope your hand is better soon, too. Good idea about the gift bags - I will remember that.
  27. Karina1974

Karina1974 Well-Known Member

You mean the fact that I have to go out and get the fixings for the holiday "Pamper Yourself" basket I'm putting together for my Mom, and the gift bag I need to get for my nephew's present?

I'm gettin', I'm gettin'... :D
  28. iloveemoticons

iloveemoticons Well-Known Member

:scream: You guys are making me feel guilty because I have nothing left to do gift-wise. My family isn't big on presents or decorating or food (sad, I know), and I've already done the gift thing with my friends. Godspeed all!
  29. PrincessLeppard

PrincessLeppard Pink Bitch

I was mostly done until some relatives decided to drop in unexpectedly. So gift card for one, book for the other. Got the gift card this morning at Walgreens as I was picking up the last of the photos for my the calender I'm making (almost finished! :p), and will hit a bookstore on my way out of town.

Oh, and I'm not packed or anything. :shuffle:
  30. Bonita

Bonita Active Member

I was shopping up until noon. I just spent the last hour wrapping. Finally done. I thought I was done for the day, but we are now having an unexpected beer and pizza eve with friends, and I have to go get some whore-durves (no, I do not know how to spell it, though I am a cheese whore, LOL). Dreading the food store.

I would really be SOL except a wonderful suprise awaited me when I got home - my husband vaccumed the whole house! TG!
  31. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

Bonita, since you're not that far away, mind sending your husband over here? Not sure when, or if, I'll get the vacuuming done and kitchen floor mopped.
  32. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

Bonita -- he'd be welcome here too. D just made Christmas cookies -- we'd share!
  33. Twilight1

Twilight1 Well-Known Member

I grabbed the last present I needed on Wednesday night. I started shopping back in August and realized after a coworker gave me a very well thought out gift that I needed to grab something small for them. Also wanted to grab some unique picture frames for best friend. We have some presents to wrap tonight but really, our primary focus is trying to get our house ready for possibly 40 people Sunday!! :eek: Then we have to clean all that crap up and get ready for family get together part 2 with my side of the family on the 28th. (Luckily that includes only 17 people)

This last week was very touch and go. Dad had to go back into hospital for cancer treatment and I wasn't even sure he would be out for Christmas but we get to pick him up later today. The next couple of days my dad will be just chilling out and resting, but we will still pop in and bring him some lunch/ dinner.

I couldn't even imagine dealing with last minute shopping...just the thought of dealing with those crowds makes me cry...
  34. Bonita

Bonita Active Member

LOL, everyone wants to borrow him, whether it's for chores or ice dancing, but he's MINE! He's out of work right now so he's been extra helpful around the house even for him.
  35. Cupid

Cupid Well-Known Member

I believe she was talking about this one I posted 5 yearss ago. I make it Christmas Eve for breakfast Christmas morning. I just pop it in the oven, set the timer, and we open gifts while it bakes and smells heavenly:

http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showpost.php?p=729975&postcount=24
  36. sk8pics

sk8pics Well-Known Member

Thanks! Too bad I didn't see this before I went to the supermarket because I would have picked up the one or two ingredients I don't have and made it for tomorrow's breakfast. Maybe next weekend I'll make it. It's snowing here so I don't think I'll make another trip to the supermarket.