Holiday music - your recommendations?

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Jenny, Dec 2, 2011.

1. Prancer

Prancer The "specialness" that is Staff Member

Some of the less-than-well-known Christmas music I like:

Aliqua--All I Want Mostly a capella female group that does a mix of traditional and traditional with a twist. They do a song called "All Is Calm" that drives me insane because it's the lyrics of "O Holy Night" sung to Schubert's "Ave Maria." So wrong!

Mediaeval Baebes--Mistletoe & Wine--mostly a capella renditions of medieval carols. Different, but still Christmasy.

Celtic Christmas--this isn't one I sit and listen to a lot, but I like it as background music when we have guests, as it's different but unobtrusive. People often ask what it is because it's "really nice."

For pop-Christmas songs, I like a lot of the A Very Special Christmas songs, although I've downloaded most of them individually because some of those songs are dreadful.

We also listen to all the Trans-Siberian Orchestra's Christmas CDs and sometimes to some of the Mannheim Steamroller Cds, although I am not terribly fond of the latter.

2. pat c

pat c Well-Known Member

3. Prancer

I have that one. Overall, it's a nice CD, but I got it because Camabby from FSW told me that "Please, Daddy, Don't Get Drunk This Christmas" was, hands down, the worst Christmas song ever.

It's not quite "Christmas Shoes" bad, but it's pretty bad.

4. pat c

pat c Well-Known Member

It is pretty bad. I never listen to it. ;)

But I love his silent night version.

5. Prancer

I listened to it once :yikes:, realized that Cam was just about right, and never listened to it again. The rest of the CD is pretty good.:)

I forgot Jewel--I like her Christmas album except for "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer.":p

Another one I like is Fisher's very, very simple, stripped down December set, which you can download for free: http://soundcloud.com/ron-wasserman/sets/fisher-christmas

6. AndyWarhol

AndyWarhol Well-Known Member

She and Him - A very She and Him Christmas <3

7. missflick

missflick New Member

8. Gypsy

Gypsy Thunder & Lightning!!!

9. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

10. escaflowne9282

escaflowne9282 Well-Known Member

Last edited: Dec 5, 2011
  11. FigureSpins

FigureSpins New Member

They opened for Buster Pointdexter/David Johansen at a college concert I attended. They perkily took the stage and shouted "We're the Roche Sisters from Upstate NY!" The NYC crowd shouted: "Go back!" roflol

In retrospect, I thought they were better than the lead act. He was just starting to play with his new persona and it was pretty lame.

12. pilgrimsoul

pilgrimsoul Active Member

James Taylor's "At Christmas" - a nice, mellow Christmas album with lovely musical arrangements.

13. Karina1974

Karina1974 Well-Known Member

Kingston Trio - Last Month of the Year - available on CD from their website.

14. peibeck

peibeck Counting down the days 'til Skate America

15. Habs

Habs Well-Known Member

I can't help it... I still love Once Upon a Christmas by Kenny Rogers and Dolly Parton. My mom played it all the time when I was a kid and listening to it brings back wonderful memories.

16. Prancer

Oooh, thank you! I used to have this CD, but it got damaged and I never got around to replacing it.

Off to download!

17. Simone411

Simone411 aka IceSkate98

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  18. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

19. Southpaw

Southpaw Saint Smugpawski

20. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

:lol: You've got to hand it to his marketing people - they stuff they put his name on is exactly what his teen and pre-teen audience will buy, and likely a lot of his older fans too. Opi actually put out a nail polish collection with his name on it, which I thought was a brilliant idea that I'm guessing did very well for all concerned.

21. Moka-Ananas

Moka-Ananas Man's Ruin

My cousin who's a jazz singer in Canada recorded a nice Christmas song a few years ago.

Scroll down to "Christmas Dog". It's a free download btw. ;)

22. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

Three songs I absolutely won't listen to - I change the radio station when they come on - Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer, Brenda Lee's Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree (can't stand her voice), and Jingle Bell Rock (just so tired of it)

Music I like - the traditional carols, Mannheim Steamroller, Transiberian Orchestra, Jethro Tull's "Christmas Song," Handels "Hallelujah" chorus (the whole "Messiah" for that matter), Emerson, Lake, & Palmer's "I Believe in Father Christmas."

23. skateycat

skateycat Minecraft Widow

Christmas in Hollis - Run DMC. It was a free download from Freegal, a legal download service from my library.

24. PrincessLeppard

PrincessLeppard Pink Bitch

The Lovehammers have a Christmas song, the name of which is escaping me (Merry Merry Christmas? Could it be that simple?), that's pretty :respec:

25. DustPuppyOI

DustPuppyOI Well-Known Member

26. BlueAranjuez

BlueAranjuez New Member

I love Josh Groban's Christmas album...it isn't Christmas without it!

Also love Celine Dion's These are the Special Times

27. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

I'll have to check that one out. I've been using Accuradio. Lets you pick your style of Christmas music, or create your own "station" with a a blend. http://byo.accuholidays.com/more/accuholidays/

:cheer: My all-time favourite. (Didn't we have this conversation last year? LOL)

Other favourites have already been mentioned (Muppets, Ella Fitzgerald, Sarah M., Barenaked Ladies, James Taylor, Michael Bublé, Bruce Cockburn), but here are a few more I love:

~ Colin James & the Little Big Band Christmas (I loves me some swingin' Christmas!)

~ The Chieftains - The Bells of Dublin (lots of celtic style traditional tunes, and lots of guest artists -- all great but my fave is the one with Jackson Browne, "The Rebel Jesus")

~ Diana Krall - Christmas Songs (some with just her trio, some with a full orchestra; I adore her version of "Christmas Time Is Here")

~ Holly Cole - Baby, It's Cold Outside (another jazz great, her "Sleigh Ride" is amazing and very differnent)

~ Oscar Peterson - Christmas (sometimes it's nice to have just instrumental, and Oscar is the best)

~ Aimee Mann - One More Drifter in the Snow (nice folky style, as you'd expect from her)

~ The Good Lovelies - Under the Mistletoe (sort of Andrews Sisters meet Django with a bit of klezmer and a touch of folk-country)

~ Chris Isaak - Christmas (It's Chris Isaak. 'nuff said.)

28. aliceanne

aliceanne Well-Known Member

My Christmas music is on cassette tapes (How often do you get to listen to it?). I like "Christmas Time with the Judds" (easy to sing along to), Johnny Mathis, and the Temptation "Give Love at Christmas" (lots of harmonies). I especially like the Tempts "Little Drummer Boy", Johnny's "Do You Hear What I Hear?", and the Judd's "What Child is This?".

I like modern stuff but don't buy it.

29. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

30. Simka

Simka Member