Holiday music - your recommendations?

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Jenny, Dec 2, 2011.

1. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

I know we've had threads like this in past years, but why not start fresh with the latest crop of Christmas CDs? My collection continues to grow each year, so I'm always interested in recommendations from others.

The ones I tend to play again and again are:

• Kenny Chesney - island themed, with his fabulous voice and some fun duets
    • Dean Martin - there are several of them out there, but to me "Baby It's Cold Outside" = Christmas
    • Doris Day - can't beat her vocal interpretations IMO, I can listen to her forever
    • Rosemary Clooney - one of many, has that gathered-round-the-piano feel
    • Ella Fitzgerald's Swingin' Christmas - I recall this one on many lists
    • Jethro Tull - the flute and his sort of mystical English sound lends itself well to Christmas and winter songs - it's surprisingly good!
    • Christmas Cocktails - part of a series that was popular a few years back - perfect for drinks with friends, very upbeat

And I confess I bought Justin Bieber's CD. And a I kinda like it. :shuffle: The only fail for me is "Little Drummer Boy" - he plays drums, which I was looking forward to, but then turns it into a rap, which didn't work for me. For contemporary Christmas CDs, Destiny's Child from a few years back remains a better choice.

Kelly Clarkson really needs to do a Christmas CD, as does Carrie Underwood - surprised they haven't already - or did I somehow miss them? I picked up an older one of Reba's for a dollar, but sadly there is a lot of talking/storytelling on it, which IMO takes away from the music.

2. AragornElessar

AragornElessar Well-Known Member

Is that the one w/Reba doing The Christmas Guest on it Jenny? I actually picked that one up just for that and have it on one of the Christmas Mix CD's I did a few years ago.

BTW, it's nice to see someone w/the same addiction. ;) I adore Christmas music and there can never be enough of it from after November 12th in this house (Mom's Birthday and a rule in this house ;) ) till Boxing Day. Haven't picked any new ones up yet this year, but was brousing through iTunes the other night and saw two I've been searching for over there.

First one was Trisha Yearwood's The Sweetest Gift. I have this on tape and obviously would like to replace that copy, but haven't been able to find it on CD. I also highly reccomend it!! So many wonderful songs on that one, but personal favourites for me are Take A Walk Through Bethleham, There's A New Kid In Town and The Sweetest Gift which is a duet w/Trisha and her sister.

The other one was Kathy Mattea's Christmas album from the early 90's, which I have never had, but have heard several songs off of over the years. Her Christ Child's Lullaby is one I particularly have been on the hunt for as it's just so beautiful and haunting.

As Albums I do have and highly reccomend...

The three Amy Grant ones that I know of. She might have done a fourth and I just don't know about it. All get regular play in this house this time of year.

John Denver and the Muppets. Their rendition of The 12 Days of Christmas crack me up. Especially when they get to Prof. Honeydew and Beaker's part...

:D

It's also the only Album I've got/heard where the origin of Silent Night is part of the performance of the song. First John sings it in the original German, then tells the story and then is joined by the Muppets for the English rendition. It's really a beautiful version of the Carol.

Josh Groban's Noel. Nuff said, but I always warn about I'll Be Home For Christmas. There's Messages from the Troops and also Messages from the Loved Ones at Home here and there through it. First time I listened to it, I bawled like a baby. So you've all now been warned.

Barenaked Ladies' Barenaked For The Holidays. Not only is it is a rolicking good time of an album, but it's also half Christmas and half Hanukkah. Love that!!

I obviously have more, but only limited posting space. I'll be back!!

3. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Here it is:

John Denver Muppets Christmas - Silent Night
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6j9sKZDZHUM

4. Nan

Nan Just me

I have:

Michael Buble's Let it Snow
    Josh Groban's Noel
    Sarah McLachlan's Wintersong
    Jim Brickman's Christmas Romance (traditional songs)

I play them as background music at my office during the day. I've just bought a new one, Michael Buble Christmas, and enjoy it so far.

*I also have a Roger Whittaker LP at home that I LOVE!

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  5. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

Mariah Carey's "All I Want For Christmas" - a fun, perky song for any time of the year.

Wham's "Last Christmas".

Justin Bieber's "Mistletoe".

6. algonquin

algonquin Well-Known Member

I was planning on starting a Christmas music thread, but you beat me to it. ;)

Michael Buble's new Christmas CD is fabulous. Boy, can he sing. Fleiz Navidad is one of my least favourite Christmas songs, but I love his rendition. Someone should skate to it. ;)

Last year, a poster recommended Amy Grant's Christmas CDs, so acting on that recommendation, I purchased Grant's The Christmas Collection. Love it.

7. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

For me the season begins when I put up the decorations, which is somewhere between American Thanksgiving and the first weekend in December. I play them non-stop through New Year's Day.

Will definitely hunt this one down - thanks for the tip!

I see our tastes are a tad different :) Might look for Roger Whittaker for nostalgic reasons, but since hubby has some bizarre dislike for Sarah, the closest I can get is my Enya Christmas CD. :p

OK yuck on the first, but being a lover of 80s music I'll look for the second, and um, glad to see I'm not the only one who bought the third. :lol:

8. allezfred

allezfred Prick Admin Staff Member

9. snowbird

snowbird Active Member

10. allezfred

allezfred Prick Admin Staff Member

11. Allskate

Allskate Well-Known Member

In general, I'm not very into Christmas music. But, I really like "A Charlie Brown Christmas."

12. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

Last edited: Dec 3, 2011
  13. luenatic

luenatic Well-Known Member

14. Parsley Sage

Parsley Sage Well-Known Member

15. Matryeshka

Matryeshka Well-Known Member

New Year's Eve Sarajevo, Transiberian Railroad

A Midwinter Night's Dream, Lorenna McKennit

smurfy and (deleted member) like this.
  16. purple skates

purple skates Shadow dancing

17. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

Agreed.
    That and "Blue Christmas" by Elvis. And maybe also "Christmas Rapping" by the Waitresses.

18. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

I've always found that music to be too sad for Christmas myself - I like upbeat, fun, joyous.

ooo great ideas - I don't have very much in the classical realm so will definitely check these out - thank you!

Pretty sure I have Elvis on one of the mixed CDs I have - but I wonder if there's a full CD? One of those people who became such caricatures in the end that one forgets that he has such a beautiful voice. :)

19. Sassafras

Sassafras Well-Known Member

20. Aaron W

Aaron W New Member

Wikipedia has a listing of the most popular Christmas albums in the United States.

21. RobbieB

RobbieB New Member

I like Michael Buble's Christmas album. I also really like the old Bing Crosby Christmas albums.

22. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Last edited: Dec 3, 2011
  23. FigureSpins

FigureSpins New Member

24. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

Elvis' Christmas Album - it's a classic. I had it on vinyl and it's now on CD. "Santa Claus is Back in Town" and "Santa Bring My Baby Back to Me" are awesome.

http://www.amazon.com/Christmas-Album-Elvis-Presley/dp/B000002W8O

Don't get the CD called "Blue Christmas", it's not as good.

25. luenatic

luenatic Well-Known Member

26. luna_skater

luna_skater Well-Known Member

I sent this song around the office on Friday and we all agreed it is the worst song ever...EVER made. I first heard it on a local radio station here as part of a fundraiser last week. The DJs would threaten to play terrible Christmas music, and the only way to stop them was by phoning in and donating to a music therapy program. They played this song, then stopped it halfway through and donated their own money because they couldn't take it anymore. :D

On topic...my favourite Christmas CD the Boney M Christmas Album.

27. flyingsit

flyingsit Well-Known Member

Yes yes yes to Elf's Lament. In mid-November I start looking forward to playing it.

28. skipaway

skipaway Well-Known Member

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  29. purple skates

purple skates Shadow dancing

The Detroit Symphony one is definitely upbeat and all instrumental. The Simply the Best Christmas one has a mix of instrumental and voices, from ballets to old favorites. Some are a bit heavy, especially the more religous ones.

30. KikiSashaFan

KikiSashaFan Well-Known Member

I have no intention of getting it, but I won't fault anyone who listens to the Bieber Christmas CD, especially since every December the Nsync Christmas CD is added to my Ipod.