Holiday Festival on Ice

Discussion in 'TV ALERTS' started by Teenes, Nov 24, 2012.

1. Teenes

Teenes Active Member

Holiday Festival on Ice 2012 is being aired on Dec. 12, 2012 from 8-9PM EST on CBC.

The show was taped on Nov. 6 in St. John's, NL, and features Kurt Browning, Elvis Stojko, Jeffrey Buttle, Shawn Sawyer, Joannie Rochette, Kimmie Meissner, Nicole Bobek, and Sinead & John Kerr. The St. John's show also featured musical guest Measha Brueggergosman. I believe it was choreographed by Jeff Buttle.

It will also be aired in syndication in the US. Check local listings.

(the show is coming to Langley, BC on Dec. 1 and Grand Prairie, AB on Dec. 4, but those aren't TV airings)

2. WildRose

WildRose Well-Known Member

Kurt landed a double axle wearing hockey skates in this show - looking forward to seeing this on TV!

3. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

It's on now here in the States on The Comcast Network.

4. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

I haven't been watching shows this season, but I'm going to have to since Shawn is in it.

5. smileyskate

smileyskate New Member

Just a reminder that this will be on tonight.

6. Skate Talker

Skate Talker Well-Known Member

Other listings I have found (all in Central Standard as that is my time zone so convert for your own area)

December 23

11 a.m. - Noon KXLY Spokane
    Noon - 1 p.m. WSBK Boston
    1:30 - 2:30 p.m WDAZ Grand Forks

December 26

9 - 10 p.m. - CBC (obviously and encore presentation)

7. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

Did anyone think it was odd that most of the songs weren't Christmas songs? I know it's politically correct to include others but most years it had mainly Christmas songs.

8. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

Oh gawd, I cannot stand anything sung by Measha Brueggergosman. My Fair Lady?!?!? This show is excruciatingly annoying. This and Jersey on Ice is making me angry.

9. luckiest1

luckiest1 Well-Known Member

I enjoyed some of the numbers but had to fast forward through others....not a fan of that kind of singing at all. Kurt's "duet" on Misty though was highly entertaining. I hope the guys bring the non-opera programs to Celebration On Ice, especially Kurt's "All I Want For Christmas Is Two Figure Skates" number. :)

10. A.H.Black

A.H.Black Well-Known Member

11. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

I flipped back and forth a bit and caught a bit of the skating. But basically, I found the music so off-putting and loud that I couldn't watch.

12. Skate Talker

Skate Talker Well-Known Member

I found the first 2 songs a bit hard to take and thought to myself this is going to be a looooong hour, but after that I quite enjoyed the singing. But of course I would have watched the whole thing anyway for the skating.

13. AJ Skatefan

AJ Skatefan Well-Known Member

I just watched my recording of this show and I loved it! Great cast and very well-done!

14. veniceparrish

veniceparrish New Member

I, too, was so off-put I couldn't watch. First off, this was a skating show, at least that's what the title leads one to believe, but it came off more like the Measha Brueggergosman show. She was featured almost more than the skaters. And then, I'm sorry, I appreciate opera for how difficult it is, I do, but it is intensely difficult for me to listen to nonetheless and, more than that, one should NEVER take a contemporary song and try to do it operatic style. It ruins it. Contemporary songs are done in a contemporary style because that's what makes them work. I'm specifically talking about Judy Collins, "Both Sides Now." That's supposed to be a sweet, innocent, simple, soft song. Ms. Bruggergosman belted it out with an intensity that would've blown every cloud out of the sky!

I enjoyed the skating, but whoever put the show together REALLY needs to rethink how they use singers. First, choose appropriate music, and two, remember who the show is about. It's about the skaters, not the singer. If the singer can't take a back seat and let the skaters be featured, then this singer is "too big" for the show.

15. lnwpenza

lnwpenza Banned Member

Hello everybody.