Holiday Festival on Ice 2010

Discussion in 'TV ALERTS' started by Artemis@BC, Nov 17, 2010.

1. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

I've really enjoyed this holiday special in the past.

Airs on CBC Tues. Dec 14 at 9:00 pm (1 hour), and repeats Christmas Day at 5:00 pm.

Full cast list TBA but includes Joannie Rochette, Kurt Browning, Jamie Sale & David Pelletier, Jeffrey Buttle, and Steven Cousins.

If you want to see it live, cities include Penticton (Dec 3), Vernon (Dec 4), and Prince George (Dec 5).

2. seabm7

seabm7 Active Member

WSPY (Plano, IL near Chicago) Dec 25 Saturday at 6:00 pm (1 hour).

3. Skate Talker

Skate Talker Replaced the display under my name

WSBK (aka TV38?) Dec 18 - 12 noon to 1 pm Central Time - no idea what time zone this station originates in so check your local listings

KXLY Spokane Dec 18 - 2 to 3 pm Central Time - should be noon to 1 pm Pacific Time? Repeats on Dec 26 3-4 pm Central (1-2 pm PT)

4. victorskid

victorskid Skating supporter

WSBK is a so-called superstation in Boston.

5. Teenes

Teenes Active Member

KGO (ABC) - SF Bay Area - Dec. 24, 3-4PM PT.

6. Skate Talker

oops I missed one

NBC HD Seattle KING - Saturday December 25th (11am - 12 noon CT), 9-11am PT

7. seabm7

seabm7 Active Member

Rebroadcasting, WSPY (Plano, IL near Chicago) Dec 27 Monday at 1:00 am

8. Skate Talker

Cast also includes Ashley Wagner, Shawn Sawyer and Peter Dack and Violetta Afanasieva

9. Artemis@BC

Peter & Violetta were a highlight for me, but I found the rest of this year's show quite a disappointment. Mostly because I really, really did not like the music. Especially the live stuff, but also some of the recordings -- I mean, of all the really great versions of "River" out there, why on earth did Kurt choose Geoffrey Tyler's?

10. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

I cannot confirm whether Kurt skated to that cover or not, but CBC will often air a different cover or even song than what the skater performed to due to the costs of obtaining the rights.

11. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

It will be shown in the Washington, DC, area on Christmas Day, on the local CBS affiliate, WUSA. They'll air it no less than 3 times on that day.

All Upcoming Times for 'Holiday Festival on Ice'

Skaters Kurt Browning, Jamie Salé, David Pelletier, Jeffrey Buttle and others perform.

Sat 12/25

1:35-2:35AM

29 WUSA 94 WUSA 212 WUSADT 809 WUSADT

7:00-8:00AM

12:00-1:00PM

The above is copied from the 'Zap2It' website. WUSA is Channel 29 in the Comcast list of channels. The others must be Hi-Def or other variations on the channel.

http://tvlistings.zap2it.com/tv/holiday-festival-on-ice/EP01206490

12. Teenes

Teenes Active Member

I haven't seen it yet, being in the US, but Geoffrey Tyler is a really good friend of Kurt's (he met him when they did Peter Pan together a few years ago), and he asked Geoffrey to record that version for him because he wanted a male vocal. If you don't like Geoffrey's vocals you may not like Kurt's "Steppin' Out Of My Mind" Stars on Ice solo either this year, since he sings that as well - he and another friend from Peter Pan re-arranged the song for Kurt and helped adapt the lyrics to his skating. But no, that wasn't a CBC replacement - Kurt specifically had that recorded for his program.

I remember Geoffrey as having a really good voice in Peter Pan so personally, I'm curious to hear it...

13. Artemis@BC

^ I didn't object to his voice, it was pleasant enough. It was the interpretation of the song, completely without nuance. I will admit that it is mostly a matter of what you're used to, though -- when you grow up hearing Joni Mitchell sing it, and hear other great covers like kd lang and James Taylor ... well, a substandard cover just isn't going to do.

JMO, of course.

14. seabm7

seabm7 Active Member

Finally, in the main Chicago area,

ABC7 WLS 7 Sun,Jan 2 1:00pm (60 minutes).

LynnW and (deleted member) like this.
  15. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

It's on in Philly right now on the CW!

16. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

^ Aw ... we missed it!

17. joemauerlover

joemauerlover New Member

Just found broadcast for MN, January 8th at 2:00 CST. Can anyone tell me on the US broadcast if they showed both of Jamie and David'sm program, or just one; and which one it was?? Thanks!

18. Chele615

Chele615 Let's go Anacode!!!

The version that I saw (Boston area) only had one of Jamie and David's numbers.....their Christmas number to "Run Run Rudolph".

19. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

Maybe it will come back on again on New Year's.

20. Susan1

Susan1 Active Member

It was on at 8 a.m. today in Dayton, Ohio, in place of the local news. I caught it in time to record it. Only one hour though?

21. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

The sydicated version of the program is only one hour long.

22. Skate Talker

According to my listings for NBCHD KING in Seattle, there will be an airing of Holiday Festival On Ice right before Skate for the Heart tomorrow, Sunday January 16th - so at noon Pacific Time.

23. victorskid

victorskid Skating supporter

Thanks for mentioning that! I have heard that there is an extra Jeff Buttle program on the US broadcast and I had hoped to catch it. Thanks to "timeshifting" I have now set my PVR to record it :)

24. alilou

alilou Crazy Stalker Lady

Yes, the US version shows Jeff's Glen Gould, which I thought was easily the better of his 2 programs, and also Kurt's other program (can't remember what it was atm) which is by far the better of the 2 he skated. Don't know why cbc chose the ones they did - both cut up with panning to musicians. The programs on the US version are skated to taped music so you get to see the whole thing. Just for these 2 performances I was so glad I recorded it when it was on previously.