Historic 1st at Russian Nats Ladiez SP

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by poths, Dec 27, 2012.

1. David21

David21 Well-Known Member

Please wait, Pothsie-boy...are you saying that Radionova did that combo in the SP at Russian Nats? I don't think 3-jump-combos are allowed in a short program...:confused:

2. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

I agree. A Olympic champion should not be someone who waters down their jumps because they can't focus on both the jumps and work on there skating skills at the same time.

3. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

I looked into protocols and counted it for you. Out of 18 ladies 15 had triple-triple in the SP.

Out of those 15 there was:
    Six ladies with 3Lz-3T,
    one lady with 3Lz-3Lo
    two ladies with 3F-3T
    six ladies with 3T-3T

Out of those 3 that did not have 3-3, one of them usually has 3T-3T but because she had fall, she did not complete the combination but she had 3T-3T in the FS. So only two ladies did not have 3-3 during Russian nationals.

4. millyskate

millyskate Well-Known Member

It's wonderful - after so many years of being stuck in the triple lutz-double toe or triple flip-double toe rut, we're finally seeing some technical progress. I'm so glad, and I hope loop combos get called realistically.

hanca and (deleted member) like this.
  5. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

It isn't really. She will probably have at least one Grand Prix assignment next year and maybe two.

Considering that she has only ever won one medal at Russian Nationals but has nevertheless competed at Worlds three times, Europeans three times, the Winter Olympic Games, and six Grand Prix events, she has had quite a time of it already.

6. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

Quite frankly she was lucky to compete at Worlds three times. With the younger girls ineligible until this season she didn't have much competition to get to Worlds. It would have been different if she had to face tougher competition in the US or Japan.

7. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

For Makarova not to skate Euros and Worlds, it might be close: she's already No. 25 on the SB list, and she might be passed by a few more skaters after Euros, 4C's, Jr. and Sr. Worlds and WTT. She's 11th on the WS list, but will drop almost 600 points from 2010-11 before factoring 2011-12 at 70%. Most of the skaters under her won't drop as many, since only the two highest in each column count, and, for many skaters, the score from two years ago is (or after championships, will be), is their lowest and isn't in the current calculation.

It may be tight for her to be guaranteed a spot, although it's likely she'd be given at least one anyway, although I wouldn't count on two in an Olympic year. I don't know if the Russian Fed would give her a host spot, and there will be a number of other Russian Ladies with the WS ranking to be guaranteed skating the SP in the last two groups at championships they might be pushing.

Leonova is currently No. 24 on the SB list, and, she, too, could be surpassed before the end of the season. She's so high on the WS list by such a high margin that even though she'll lose 25% before the 2011-12 factoring, she's so far ahead that while she might drop out of the Top 10, she won't be out of the Top 24. That's assuming she isn't named to the World team after Euros, where she could earn two guaranteed spots.

Maybe they'll give one or both of them a berth at World Team Trophy to get higher PB's, if they don't end up at Euros or Worlds.