Hissing Cat Awakens Mother

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by skipaway, Jan 7, 2013.

1. cruisin

cruisin Well-Known Member

Centipedes! I hate them too. For the last few years we have been getting them in the house. Big, 2" to 3" long ones. I get them with the vacuum. I am sure that one of these days some giant mutant bug will crawl out of my vacuum. Hate stink bugs too. And every house in our area is getting them. Exterminator said no way to get rid of them. Just keep the fireplace flu closed and burn a fire occasionally (that's where they usually come in). But, we're still getting them. They are positively prehistoric looking.

2. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Just my luck, I found a baby rattler when I was in summer camp, decades ago. I was hanging up my swimsuit outside when I heard a pile of leaves on the ground rustle... you don't need to know the rest but it was a baby and it used its rattle on me. I remember screaming and :scream:

3. misskarne

misskarne #408

Not really, but they DO love heat and warmth and asphalt retains a lot of that. I've found one or two in our front garden before, but we live in the outskirts.

Better than Sydney. Bloody funnelwebs. Not happening. I like most creepy things but funnelwebs, not on your life.

Your resident Canberran can inform you! It's really not as bad as they make out. Because of Canberra's location (nestled in the foothills of the Brindabella Range), the kangaroos often come down into the valleys in winter or when it's particularly dry. Thus, we tend to get a few of them. I even saw one bouncing down the street one day, and just last night had a near-miss with a kangaroo when I was driving home. Lots of the time if it's been dry, I'll see them grazing on the sports oval near our house. (Never seen them eating a garden, though.)

The important thing to remember about Canberra is that it's called "the bush capital" for a reason. The city is littered with parks and hills and open spaces, so kangaroos can get pretty much everywhere. (Hence the one I nearly hit last night!) Kangaroos also won't tend to harm you unless you harm or threaten them. Like most "dangerous" animals in Australia, leave them alone and don't do anything stupid, and they'll leave you alone.

4. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

:lol:

5. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

Aaaah centipedes are THE WORST! My aunt lived in Central Jersey and they would get ones bigger than my hand! :scream:

Stink bugs are taking over SoCal too. They are non-native pests, so I take some pleasure in smashing them. They've never stinked on me, so I have no idea. Also, despite their armored look, fairly easy to kill....

6. cruisin

cruisin Well-Known Member

True, that's why I don't understand why the exterminator said they were impossible to get rid of. Maybe, because they just keep coming back.