Hissing Cat Awakens Mother

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by skipaway, Jan 7, 2013.

1. skipaway

skipaway Well-Known Member

to find a Python wrapped around her 2 year old daughter's arm. :yikes:
    Python

This quote from the article :yikes: again

and this

Time for Australia to import some mongooses (mongeese?)

2. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Glory to the kitty for alerting the parent! :cat: :respec:

3. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

I agree.

The kid with the snake eggs was a funny one.

4. Wiery

Wiery Well-Known Member

:cat: Good kitty! :swoon:

5. maatTheViking

maatTheViking Now ubering Machida's hair

When my friends moved to Australia, her facebook updates were pretty funny:
    'Went for a walk with kid. Saw xxx. Didn't touch, they are very poisonous. Warning to stay on path serious'
    'checking garden for snakes before kid goes to play'
    'new garden, unfortunately with stone fence. Holes can hide yy spiders, they are very poisonous'.
    'saw platypus in zoo, super cute (also, poisonous)'.

my conclusion is that everything in Australia is dangerous!

what a good kitty!

6. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Not moving to Australia! I am terrified of snakes. Also, not moving to South Africa. A friend who lived there said she regularly found snakes in the house and garden. The best thing for me is to stay in a urban area where snakes fear to tread (or slither as the case may be).

7. mkats

mkats New Member

I have always loved snakes, but dreaded spiders. Things with too many legs scare me; things without legs are just fine.

I always pick up earthworms when I see them washed out onto the sidewalk when it rains, and put them back in the grass/dirt where they won't get stepped on. :shuffle:

Kasey and (deleted member) like this.
  8. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

I'm sure that was at least a partly facetious comment ... but I'll give it a serious answer: importing a foreign species to get rid of a "pest" problem is never, ever a good idea. Foreign species become invasive species in no time, and getting rid of them is next to impossible. Just ask Jamaica about what happened when they introduced mongooses.

And as if Australia didn't already have enough troubles with invasive introduced species! (those dastardly rabbits!)

But definitely :scream: the snakes and :cheer: the kitty!

9. duane

duane New Member

Same here. I'm fascinated by spiders, but dread them as well. I HATE centipedes!!

10. madm

madm Active Member

Or you could have the all-night noise and home invasions from African penguins near Cape Town. At least they are cute and not poisonous.
    http://arbroath.blogspot.com/2012/10/residents-outraged-as-endangered.html

And then there are the baboons on the Cape Peninsula that stop at nothing to open your car, purse, picnic basket or whatever to get at food!
    http://photoblog.nbcnews.com/_news/...onkey-business-baboons-raid-tourists-car?lite
    http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2009/07/090724-southafrica-baboons-video-ap.html

If you're going to live near wildlife on the fringes of suburbia, there are bound to be conflicts. Even in the U.S. we have close encounters between homeowners and mountain lions, coyotes, skunks, poisonous snakes and spiders, etc.

11. Aussie Willy

12. maatTheViking

The city I live in is a suburb to a suburb to Seattle, and about 20 years ago I was told there were only a few loggers/farmers and forest here. Today there are 30k + people. Our kitties are indoor kitties because of the coyotes and raccoons.

Last summer there were a story in the local paper of someone having a black bear in the back yard!

but at least it is not poison! :p

13. Alex Forrest

Alex Forrest Banned Member

Is this satire? "The snake [had] not in any way, shape or form intended to eat the baby," Tex Tillis, who runs Tex's Snake Removals, told the Daily Telegraph. "It was trying to have a group hug."

Umm, a python wrapped around my kid would be one hell of a dead python. Group hug, my ass.

And WTG, kitty. Kitty seems to have more sense than everyone in this town.

14. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

15. suep1963

suep1963 Well-Known Member

My cousin lived in Singapore for a number of years. They had to watch out for cobras in the backyard.

16. Moto Guzzi

Moto Guzzi Well-Known Member

Why do I always click on links that I know are going to show a spider? I hate spiders and looking at that made my skin crawl. :eek::yikes::scream:

We had mice and rats in the building where I used to work. One day we received an email that said snakes had been found in the building and somebody had brought them in and released them, apparently thinking that they could eat the mice and rats. I wanted to go find a mongoose to get rid of the snakes, the rats, and the mice.

I'll bet that woman was glad she had such a smart kitty, and I'll bet she has trouble sleeping for a while.

17. misskarne

misskarne #ForzaJules #KeepFightingMichael

Not on your fricking life...between the rabbits, foxes, FRICKING CANE TOADS, and everything else imported, we've got enough trouble.

Did you know we also have several varieties of poisonous plants?

If you'd actually read the article, the python was looking for warmth. It didn't see the child as food; all it saw was a nice hot spot to curl around. It didn't actually do anything harmful until the mother came in and started freaking and pulling the snake off. Which in reality, is actually how most snakebites occur.

It's not satire, but it is a touch of the Australian larrikin sense of humour.

18. ballettmaus

ballettmaus Well-Known Member

I heard somewhere, a while ago, that Australia has the most poisonous animals and the most of the poisonous ones, too. Can't remember the actual numbers but they were insanely high.

19. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

That's what I used to do too, until recently at work where the earthworms LEAP into the air! Every time I touched them with a leaf, they would jump!

I have no idea what sort of cancer treatment or radiation we've been inadvertently leeching into the ground, but our earthworms are frightening! :yikes:

20. Aussie Willy

I found when I went to the US and Canada, when I went hiking, people would ask what the difference was hiking in Australia and North America. My reply was that in Australia things can bite you, but in NA things could eat you.

21. maatTheViking

of course you do!!

Crazy that all that poison haven't managed to take care of those invasive species!

22. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

Ditto. I can't even look at pictures of snakes. My phobia isn't so bad that I don't go anywhere where snakes are to be found - which is pretty much everywhere - and I've survived numerous trips to the dessert without once meeting a rattle snake.

But I wouldn't get anywhere where the possibility of encountering a snake was more than minimal.

23. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

I get nervous enough in the backwoods out east (I have no desire to step on and startle an Eastern Diamondback. And yes, we technically have a venomous species in Michigan, the Massasauga rattler, but they're extremely rare and also pretty docile-you have to really scare one or deliberatly provoke it to get one to strike.) In Australia I stay on the sidewalk and out of dusty corners as I have no desire to get bitten by something poisonous. Especially spiders. I don't like spiders that AREN'T poisonous.

24. joeperryfan

joeperryfan Well-Known Member

My intentions of spending some time n Australia have significantly diminished...

milanessa and (deleted member) like this.
  25. mkats

mkats New Member

Uh oh.
    I just looked at our schedule for next week's lectures (we're in dermatology at the moment) and we're having a whole lecture on ARTHROPOD bites and infestations :yikes:

I always try to quickly slide a pine needle under them to scoop them up and out :lol: This is sometimes much more successful than others...

26. Aussie Willy

Go to New Zealand - they don't have snakes there.

27. joeperryfan

joeperryfan Well-Known Member

Good to know ;)

Are snakes a problem in the cities too?

28. Aussie Willy

Well you won't find many. That is not to say the occaisional snake doesn't pop up from time to time.

29. madm

madm Active Member

There are also no venomous snakes in the U.S. Pacific Northwest. It's a very friendly place to hike and camp. About the only poisonous things to watch out for there are the black widow spiders that sometimes reside in home wood piles. You are right, though, that in the U.S. there are things that can eat you like grizzly bears and mountain lions, although those are quite rare.

30. madm

madm Active Member

Aussie, I saw a documentary about kangaroo "mobs" invading the suburbs in Canberra, Australia. They could kick you pretty badly and must eat landscaping. How serious is that problem? Best story I read about a scary kangaroo home invasion is http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/story/2009/03/09/oz-kangaroo.html.