Hip Hop as described by the ISU

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Aussie Willy, Apr 11, 2012.

1. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

2. Bournekraatzfan

Bournekraatzfan Well-Known Member

thanks for posting, Aussie Willy!

no surprise that they chose more of the lyrical hip hop numbers...that style seems to lend itself most to ice dance and its basic principles of flow and use of the edge (well, at least the staccato movements are integrated with more fluid ones). I love hip hop but I have to say, it is very, very tricky...the rhythms and types of movement they demand are so complex and contrast greatly with most of the styles ice dancers grow up with (and judges are accustomed to). It is a very different way of conceptualizing movement, and I am genuinely curious to see how the junior teams will fare with this style. I wish them all the best!

3. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

I started reading it and figured it must be copy-pasted from Wikipedia and paraphrased a bit. Imagine my surprise to find out otherwise!

I'm not a big fan of hip-hop by any means, but maybe the right team and the right choreographer can make it work. It might be especially interesting if they look beyond American artists for music choices.

4. Artifice

Artifice Guest

Curiously (?) I picture very well Tessa Virtue in a hip-hop dance. On the contrary I don't see how Scott Moir will do with it.

5. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

HH is so different from ballet and ballroom dancing. It will be interesting to see the outcome.

6. Ozzisk8tr

Ozzisk8tr Well-Known Member

If it is anything like skaters performing their oh so naf routines to hip hop music at exhibitions I dread to think what we will see. At least they are trying something new though. I am looking forward to some A grade booty pops from some of the skaters though. :grope:

7. RUKen

RUKen Guest

Only the junior competitions will have a hip hop short dance. The senior teams will do the polka.

8. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

To heck with Hiphop. I want my Yankee Polka!!!!!! :rollin:

9. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

deleted duplicate

10. kirkbiggestfan

kirkbiggestfan Well-Known Member

True dancers should be able to dance anything. I am glad that those juniors will get outside of their comfort zone and be challenged. They will all have to use the help of outside choreographers

11. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

Hip hop is so different from the training skaters normally receive. Ballet, ballroom, and skating are upright and tall, with flow. Hip hop is down into the floor, grounded there; and more staccato. I've noticed that it's really hard for skaters (and dancers) to be able to make that transition convincingly. It is the rare skater, in my observation, who can do hip hop well.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2012
  12. Sasha'sSpins

Sasha'sSpins Well-Known Member

I don't mean to laugh-but I just never thought I'd see the day. WTF would any ISU ice dance 'experts' know about Hip Hop? :lol::rofl:

Yes-it will be interesting to see what some of the more inventive choreographers will come up with-and hopefully it will translate well to the ice.

13. love_skate2011

love_skate2011 Well-Known Member

Hip Hop for Ice Dance, nice

I want to see hoe V/M and I/K interpret this
    Im still at odd, imo, it won't suit Meryl lol, but we'll see

14. sap5

sap5 Well-Known Member

As the senior competitors are not doing hip-hop, I don't know when we will see this.

15. love_skate2011

love_skate2011 Well-Known Member

so only juniors ? :(
    so senior gets the Polka

16. walei

walei Well-Known Member

I am intrigued to see what the Juniors will bring for the Hip Hop SD, but at the same time I can't help and laugh at the mental image of ISU judges wearing fur coats and scarfs marking a competition of 20 Hip Hop routines.

17. TheGirlCanSkate

TheGirlCanSkate Active Member

LOL - it kind of reminds me of when my daughter decided to do her tap dance routine on ice for her coach. Unexpected.

18. kirkbiggestfan

kirkbiggestfan Well-Known Member

If this becomes the SD for the Olympic year, things could become very interesting.

19. lavenderblue

lavenderblue Active Member

The Olympic SD will be the Finnstep.

20. RUKen

RUKen Guest

The senior short dance for the Olympic season will feature the Finnstep.

21. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

I just hope it's not like that SoI number where the guys wore backward baseball caps and skated around graffiti-covered sets, getting down with the homies :lol: That number was very....not hip.

22. The Accordion

The Accordion Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting this - very interesting!

23. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

Too bad Florent Amodio is not a junior ice dancer.

24. DORISPULASKI

DORISPULASKI Watching submarine races

Yeah, I think Florent would definitely enjoy doing hip hop!

25. Aussie Willy

I was thinking Amodio should probably switch to ice dance. He gives me the pip but he does do pretty damn good hip hop.

26. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

He should skate the SD with Takahashi.

27. Aussie Willy

Images of Blades of Glory :lol: