Hip bursitis

Discussion in 'Moves In The Field' started by hanca, Nov 28, 2011.

1. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

I have been having some hip problems. Appart of the pain, I also can't lift my leg properly. I was told that it is a hip bursitis. Has anyone had it? Any advice?
  2. Wiery

Wiery Well-Known Member

There are two areas in the hip region that can have bursitis...is your pain on the outside of the hip or the inside of the hip? I've had it numerous times on the inside bursa, and I have to take some time away from the activity that's causing the bursitis, and take nsaids (aleve, advil, if you live in the US. I've never gotten the cortisone shot, but I've heard it helps. I used to get bursitis as a ballet dancer, and now I get it as a runner...when it gets bad enough, I back off running for a few weeks and swim laps. I'm not sure specifically what a figure skater can do except avoid the motions that cause pain.
  3. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

My pain is now on both outside and inside of the hip. But inside it is much worse. It is sharp stabbing pain and I am not able to lift my leg nearly at all.

I am taking ibuprofen, going to physio for some lazer treatment, putting ice on it, trying to rest it but I am getting impatient. Does anyone know how long it will last? I have had it for three months now!
  4. Willowway

Willowway Well-Known Member

Bursitis, if you are quite sure that's what it is, is an inflammation of the bursa and we have those in all of our joints. Like any other inflammation, bursitis can be stubborn and it can take a while to calm down and lots of things can make it flair up. Most bursitis, with patience, can be conquered - as the poster above said, a combo of anti-inflammatory medication and laying off the aggravating exercise which stresses the joint in question (and laying off the movement or exercise is what most of us don't do long enough or completely enough). You didn't say that a physician had diagnosed this for you - I hope so as you really need to know exactly what is happening so that it's treated specifically and properly. If not, please see a doctor. And if it's just getting worse, go back.

Some bursitis is chronic and I hope you don't have that. I first got bursitis in my left shoulder when I was about 16. I have had it on and off for decades - I do the usual things to calm it down, it comes and goes as a result. Many doctors have looked at it and always confirm what I already know - just garden variety chronic bursitis.
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2011