Hilarious 1974 Weight Watchers Recipes

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by skateboy, Jun 29, 2013.

1. skateboy

skateboy Well-Known Member

I've known about this website for probably 10 years now. If you haven't seen these and want a really good laugh, I highly recommend it.

I'll start y'all off with one of my favorite links. The descriptions are as hilarious as the unappetizing food. Feel free to look through the entire set. You won't be disappointed!

http://www.candyboots.com/wwcards/scaryorangesalad.html

2. falling_dance

falling_dance D. Murakami's Newest Fan

_:swoon:_ (I once got that as a result when taking a "Which Weight Watchers recipe are you?" quiz. :slinkaway)

Not one of those looks edible.

3. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

-blink-

:scream:

4. Dr.Siouxs

Dr.Siouxs Well-Known Member

GASP! I came across this about 8 years ago and still go back to it when I need a good laugh. :rofl:

Its years later and the Liver en Pate Masque is still horrifying... :scream:

5. ChelleC

ChelleC Well-Known Member

All of those are horrifying.

6. orientalplane

orientalplane Mad for mangelwurzels

Not even Rosy Perfection?

The Melon Mousse resembles some kind of creature washed up on the beach, like a dead jellyfish. :yikes:

7. Whitneyskates

Whitneyskates Well-Known Member

OMG, that Mousse of Salmon :scream:

There was a show on Food Network (it's still in reruns) called Hungry Girl, and all she made was glorified Weight Watchers recipes. For example: take red hots, apples and graham crackers, microwave and tada! Apple Pie!

8. Spareoom

Spareoom Well-Known Member

I haven't laughed so hard in a long time. If the goal of Weight Watchers was to put people off food entirely and achieve weight loss through vomiting, I think they were successful.

9. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

Too funny!

And, if you can stomach more food hilarity ... check out the Gallery of Regrettable Foods.

My particular faves are the "Unbearable Sadness of Vegetables" and "Meat! Meat! Meat!"

10. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

dh says he already has these. :shuffle: :scream: Unfortunately they're right up his alley. . . www.kookychow.com

11. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

Hmmm I just want to go back to the 70s and eat.

12. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

The "recipe" for caramel pudding is interesting. I had no idea you can do that with sweetened condensed milk. Might have to try that out.

13. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

I saw the word knicknacks and thought I was seeing "old lady who talks to her knickers!" :lol:

14. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

You've never had dulce de leche? It's heavenly. And super easy: the stovetop method is my preferred but you can also do it in the oven or microwave. Not sure which "recipe" you're looking at though -- dulce de leche from condensed milk results in a caramel sauce, not pudding.

15. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

^^^ Nope, never heard of it. The recipe from the kookychow site says to put several cans of Sweetened Condensed Milk into a pot boiling water and keep the water at a boiling point for 3 hours. 3 HOURS !!! You really have to be careful to keep the water level full with this one though.
    It looks like a jelly roll in the picture; There's a round slice on a plate and a dollop of whip cream on top. You have caramel sauce instaed? Maybe your boiling time isn't as long as 3 hours? The dish has to be achingly sweet.

16. Dave of the North

Dave of the North Well-Known Member

IIRC, the WW program in the 70's required you to eat liver once a week. I had a WW book from that era, with Jean Nidetch herself on the cover, and one of the recipes I made was a spaghetti sauce that had ground liver in it. :scream: I fed it to my girlfriend, and it worked out OK as we've been married almost 34 years. :p

17. aliceanne

aliceanne Well-Known Member

Rosy perfection looks like a giant blood clot or a miscarriage on a plate. What IS IT? :scream:

18. Dr.Siouxs

Dr.Siouxs Well-Known Member

:rofl: Probably some perverse combination of the two.

19. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

I used to make those frozen coffee popsicles in the 70s.

20. JeffClair1979

JeffClair1979 Scissoring Cizeron!

OK, this is the funniest thing I have ever seen on FSU!! And this is coming from someone who has lost 40 pounds on WW since jan 2, 2013. I'm horrified to think in 40 years, I'll be looking back on the recipes I've been making and seeing how gross they are! But, either I will be fat, skinny or dead by then, so does it matter? :p. thanks for sharing these!!

skateboy and (deleted member) like this.
  21. Veronika

Veronika gold dust woman

22. skateboy

skateboy Well-Known Member