High School Reunions- Yay or Nay?

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by SoNaoWat?, Apr 28, 2010.

1. SoNaoWat?

SoNaoWat? New Member

Hey again. I just got the message that the planning will be underway for my 20 year class reunion. We're meeting next week. Just wondering what people think of those- do you go? Do you look forward to them, hate them, etc.?

I've always loved reunions. Our class is fairly small and pretty close, so I like to go, and I like to help plan.

What are some ideas for successful reunions some of you have had? Anything you've done at a reunion that has really bombed?

Thanks!

2. mmscfdcsu

mmscfdcsu Skating Pairs with Drew

I hate them. I did go to my 10year college reunion, to see a couple of great people. I would not go to a high school reunion even if you paid me. And i went to high school here in Shaker Heights. :lol:

Eden and (deleted member) like this.
  3. bobalina77

bobalina77 Duck Hunter

I didn't go to my 10 year.. I honestly don't think enough has changed after 10 years to warrant going to a reunion. Especially when most of the people I went to school with still live in town and I bump into them every once in a while. Might go to my 20 year in 5 years.. especially if I'm still together with my boyfriend (who I went to highschool with until he got suspended) because there will be a lot of "how the hell did you two end up together?" comments I'm sure, as we didn't exactly frequent the same groups in highschool :lol:

4. Fridge_Break

Fridge_Break Well-Known Member

Nay. All of my friends were not in my class. I graduated with the biggest group of preps, arrogant snots, and jerks... I don't plan on going to my 10 year, nor any after that. I'd rather go to the reunions for the graduating classes the year before and after me :lol:

5. nerdycool

nerdycool Well-Known Member

I went to my 10 year this past summer, and in general I hated it... but that's because I'm pretty anti-social and the idea of socializing makes me wanna hurl. I did catch up with the friends I had back then and that was nice. But overall, I could have done that without actually going to the reunion.

6. Really

Really No longer just a "well-known member" Yay!

I went to my 10-year reunion. That was 3 days before my son was born! LOL! I missed our 25-year reunion because it was in late June and I was up to my ears in exams and report cards. Haven't heard of any plans for the next one. I did enjoy seeing everyone at the 10-year reunion.

7. Jayar

Jayar Well-Known Member

I am going to my 20th in a few weeks... I can't wait! :)

8. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

My 10 year is next year. Not sure if I will go or not. There are some people I would love to see so I might see who all is planning to attend and make my decision based on that. If not enough people are going then I will wait until my 20 year reunion when people have more to say than "I finished school and got a job at...." or "I am still in school trying to finish..." etc etc. 20 years from now we will all have a lot more to share, families, etc. With Facebook available I am friends with most of the people I graduated with and don't feel like there are many people I wonder about, I can check their Facebook page to see what they are up to.

9. Cheylana

Cheylana Well-Known Member

Hellz no, that's what Facebook is for! :lol:

10. Karina1974

Karina1974 Well-Known Member

I didn't go to my 10 year HS reunion either, but I am going to my 10 year college reunion on June 12. They are honoring the Sister who is in charge of Campus Ministry, and she is someone who is a huge help and always has a shoulder for anyone who needs someone to talk to. They are also honoring the alumnus who was the Residence Director when I was attending the school, who I liked because he brooked no bull shit, and suffered no fools. I can remember there was a problem with people pulling the fire alarm for no reason - he threatened to keep us outside all night after we vacated the building the third time it happened. And it was 40-50F, and 2:00 AM.

If my class has a 20-year reunion in 2013 I'll probably go. I'm not that mousy blonde wallflower anymore. I've changed so much they won't recognize me when I walk in the door! It's funny that this topic comes up, because I've been over on Facebook and looking up people who I went to school with, and the old cliche is true... the ones who were elevated to "all that" status sure as hell don't look it anymore!

11. essence_of_soy

essence_of_soy Well-Known Member

Christy Masters, Lisa Luder and Cheryl Quick made my life a living hell in high school. Especially on hamburger day.

At my 10 year high school reunion, they humiliated me for claiming I had invented post - it notes.

jamesy and (deleted member) like this.
  12. mysticchic

mysticchic Well-Known Member

I haven't been to a reunion for school, never really wanted to go. I've been to reunions for other things and had a blast.
    HS reunions are expensive. We were suppose to have a 30 year in 06 and some how the person running it was charging 50.00 per person. It wasn't anything fancy. Most of the class wanted to get together at a picinc and the person ignored everyone. So out of 1000 people only 50 showed up.
    I agree I'd rather keep up with people on FB.

13. Dr.Siouxs

Dr.Siouxs Well-Known Member

I don't remember anything from high school. :smokin:

14. Twilight1

Twilight1 Well-Known Member

We are having our 50th year reunion (I am not that old but the school is lol). I am on the fence about it because a part of me wants to see some people again and another part of me is saying 'f' that!! I hated highschool. Almost all aspects of it. I am however, close to quite a few people and some very good friends of mine are going.

I better decide soon though, it is less than a month away and I need to lose 10 lbs. lmao!

15. myhoneyhoney

myhoneyhoney Well-Known Member

We must have gone to the same school. Even though I did the cheerleading thing I still found most in the school, well.... like how you just wrote!

16. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

Are you Romi or Michelle?! :eek: :lol:

17. Cyn

Cyn Well-Known Member

I used to hate the idea of going to my HS reunions,

Our class held a 5 year reunion I had no interest in attending, decided to go at the last minute, but was in a car accident that day so that didn't happen. For our 10th reunion, I was in my first trimester of pregnancy and was so ill from morning sickness (a misnomer if there ever was one as I was sick as a dog 24/7 for 5 months :scream: ), and I had pneumonia when my 20th took place.

Now that I've reconnected with some of my old friends via Facebook (and I guess turning into a nostalgic old fart :slinkaway ), I definitely plan to go to my *gulp* 30th when it rolls around in a few years. While there are certainly some people I couldn't care less about ever seeing again, there are several people I'd like to see just to see what everyone is now like and where their paths in life have taken them.

Now that I've realized that it's been that long, I'm in fifty million depressions :drama: . I'll also need to start my diet now so that I can go and not feel like I've become a middle-aged blob.

18. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

I went to a formal Primary School reunion a couple of years ago which was really good. But Primary School is different to High School.

I don't know if a formal reunion has ever been organised for my high school, but they would probably have trouble tracking me down because I didn't keep in touch with anyone.

19. The Accordion

The Accordion Well-Known Member

Went to my 2oth a couple years ago and regretted pretty much every moment of it!

20. Quintuple

Quintuple papillon d'amour

Leading up to my high school 10th, I bounced back and forth. I wanted to see what freakish mundanity people were up to, fully in acceptance of my own pathetic quirks. Suddenly, a year before, I got really cynical and anti-social about it, and didn't want to go. An acquaintance I'm in touch with was a pregnant mom on the committee (and they asked me to hunt down the class president as I was the only one in touch with her!) and tried to get me to help out. It ended up being a super expensive tawdry affair ("$85 and you get two non-alcoholic drinks unless you iz vegetarian which is $75"). The web page was so hilariously ghetto and misspelled! And drinks the night before had a cover! I thought, "Why can't we just all bring our four kids and our guts to some dusty public park for a bad picnic?" I would have preferred that.

I don't regret not going, but I do have a friend (one of those types who still goes to our HS football games and remembers the first and last names of everyone in our class) on the inside who showed me the "memory book". Ahhhhh!

Wanna see?

Wow.

The friend actually said it was a quiet, low-key evening (prolly cuz hardly anybody attended), but what I appreciated is that he said those who wanted to be there were there, and those who didn't weren't. And the organizing committee member bothering me to go? Not there.

21. Karina1974

Well, how about this: out of the 5 guys I've been involved with, I am now Facebook friends with 3 of them.

22. MOIJTO

MOIJTO Banned Member

I have one coming up next year! Most likely I will not go since I do not associate with anyone I went to highschool with. I have gone to others over the 35 years I have been out of highschool, but other than seeing who got divorced, who got fat, who is bald and who still looks great (ha, I am one of those) or you have close realtionships with some you went to school with. I find them boring!

23. KCC

KCC Active Member

I enjoyed my reunions a LOT more than HS. Personalities changed and everyone was a lot more friendly and happy. They all seemed genuinely interested in all of their classmates. I am looking forward to seeing everyone at the 30-year reunion this summer, even though it will require a flight back.

24. Grannyfan

Grannyfan Active Member

I'll be attending my 45th year high school reunion this summer. We are joining with the class ahead of us, which I think is a good idea. It's a small school, so it's a manageable number of people. My class has held three other reunions, and I have found that they are much more enjoyable the older you get. Nobody is trying to impress any more, and you realize you're not the only one with wrinkles, gray hair and some extra pounds. Things are just much more relaxed overall. Of course, we don't have 100% participation, and some of the people I'd most like to see have never attended.

25. heckles

heckles Banned Member

I don't understand the appeal of high school reunions. I went to the same school as these people because our parents bought homes in the same zip code. Nothing magical, just zoning.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2010
    PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  26. Yehudi

Yehudi Well-Known Member

Hell No! I was out of the country during my 5 year reunion and when I saw the list of attendees for my 10th high school reunion, I thought no way. I wasn't friends with any of the people who went to the reunion, and all reunion weekend is at my school is another way for my snobby private school to try and hit us up for money. Besides, one of my best friends from high school got married the previous year and everybody I wanted to see was at that wedding.

27. SoNaoWat?

SoNaoWat? New Member

Hi all! Thanks for all the replies- keep 'em coming. I like hearing people's stories. Well, as I said, my class was pretty small- about 90 people, and many of us have remained close. Probably over half still live in this state or the one below it! :) (OK/TX) And like many of you have said, you keep in touch with the ones you care about and you don't bother with the ones you don't. A lot of people said that same thing with our previous reunions- they see the people they want to see.

But I like reunions because I think they offer an opportunity to see those people you're interested in seeing, but just haven't been able to keep in touch with. And there are even several people who were in our class for a good part of the time we were in school, but didn't graduate with us, and they are very interested in going to the reunion.

At our last one, it was two days- the first was an afternoon family picnic at our big local park, and the second night was grads and SO's only, dinner and a dance at the local country club. I enjoyed the whole thing- had a great time, and didn't let the fact that I was way heavier than in HS bother me! So were half the rest of them!! Who cares? It's interesting to me to see what people have become- we have a lot of teachers and nurses, PA's, coaches, cops, highway patrol, stay at home moms, oilfield workers, cosmeticians, truck drivers, caterers, restaurant managers. We even had one girl who was in the state senate. Or maybe she just ran for it. I forget. Anyway. I know I'm probably the world's biggest nerd, but I'm one of those people who can remember everybody in the class, first and last name, but it's not super hard with a class of 90 people.

I'm getting all wound up- I feel like I just drank 3 espressos in a row! Can't wait for the planning meeting now- we're meeting at a local steakhouse next Tues. night.

So what were some more activities or locations people had, and how were they received?

Cyn and (deleted member) like this.
  28. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

I skipped the tenth. A friend who went told me everyone was just trying to impress each other.

Our twentieth was this summer and I went. I really enjoyed it, actually. But some things were strange. And people were still trying to impress each other. And people are at vastly different life stages. At our table, there was a woman whose oldest child had just graduated from high school. a woman pregnant with her first, and me--a newlywed. It was also strange because so many of my classmates stayed in the city we went to school in--some attended college there and truly never left a day in their lives--and they go to the same parishes (Catholic High School) and their kids go to school together and they all still hang out together to some degree. Those of us who moved away and moved on felt a bit out of place in some ways.

My planning advice would be two main things--1-don't price people out. Our main event was dinner and a dance that was $65 per person--$130 per couple. And people coming from out of town may need a hotel as well. A number of people I would have enjoyed seeing were not able to attend because of the price. 2--Have some sort of program. Ours had nothing. Dinner and dance. It seemed strange to not have something. A slide show of memories, acknowledgments of who planned it and that sort of thing would be nice.

My mother and her sister went to a tiny rural school that no longer exists (towns merged their schools in the 70s to create a new and bigger one). There are multi-class reunion events every year hosted in people's homes mostly. My mother has gone to them every five years or so since around her 25th. My aunt, whose picture may very well be in the dictionary next to the word 'extrovert', has gone to many, many more than that. She told me once that they weren't fun until around the 30th. By 30 years or longer away from high school, the vast majority of people are past the point of caring so much about what everyone thinks of them and the urge to impress and out-do each other is gone and it becomes a great party.

29. Karina1974

That was my attitude precisiely when my 10-year HS reunion came around. I was "friendly" with a few people in my class, but I was not "friends" with any of them.

30. made_in_canada

made_in_canada INTJ

Considering I spent high school trying to be as inconspicuous as possible and trying to find ways to avoid going I doubt I'll attend a reunion. High school was the worst years of my life, I hated it mostly because of the people. If you were a social person I could see the appeal but for me it would be torture.