Hi cat lovers, I need help!

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Citlali, Dec 1, 2012.

1. Citlali

Citlali Well-Known Member

So two days ago I was watering my plants when this :cat: came in , she had some scratches :( so I gave her some water, then went to grab my keys to take her to the vet but by the time I was back she had dissapeared. So right now (really five minutes ago!:eek:) I´m in my bedroom and who comes through the door? Allie :D (yes she has a name). What should I do? I´ve never had a cat, I know next to nothing about cats in fact I have a dog... I don´t know if she´s somebody´s pet or if she is lost. Should I make her a bed? What kind of food should I give her... please any advice?
  2. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

If she does not have a tag then I say keep her! She seems to have chosen you and that makes you very lucky. And yeah her a bed but in my experience cats like to curl up next to their human a lot more. LOL
  3. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

assuming she is adult, any adult cat food will do for now.
  4. TheGirlCanSkate

TheGirlCanSkate New Member

5. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

Does she look well fed and cared for? Except for those scratches, of course. It seems as though she's used to coming and going so I wouldn't try to keep her penned up - get a few cans of cat food and a small bag of dry until you know if she's around to stay. She may have gotten scratched, got scared and then just took off from a good home.

Any vet or shelter can check her for a microchip which is getting a lot more common.

We've gotten almost all our cats this way over the years so if she stays with you, enjoy!

ps - whats you're dog think about it?
  6. Angelskates

Angelskates Active Member

I'd go to the vet with her first, just to check her out, get an approximate age and see if anyone in the area has lost her.
  7. Citlali

Thank you :)

Yes she doesn't have a tag, but looks well-fed and is really friendly, she still has some scratches, but they look much better than two days ago...so far my doggie is eyeing her, but not bad reactions (she is actually bigger than my dog :D) Hubbie just came home with a can of cat food (that was a :lol: phone call) and they are now playing :) Tomorrow we are going to the vet. She came into the house through a window, should I leave that open if she wants to go?
  8. milanessa

I would but I'm sure you'll get different opinions. ;)
  9. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

Awww sounds like kitty chose you! :)

Cats are easy to take care of. Moreso than dogs, IMO. :lol: All you need is food (any wet/dry food will do in a pinch, but you can switch it up depending on what kitty likes and needs), water, and litter box. My cat never bothered with toys as long as I've had him - he'd rather have someone to sleep on. :)

If kitty is used to being an outdoor kitty, you can let her decide if/when she wants to go. I've never let my cat outside. He's never gone outdoors, I don't think. There are fleas outside and I'd rather avoid them. :p
  10. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

I am glad she found you and your husband===keep us updated please!!
  11. Allskate

Allskate Well-Known Member

If the cat is friendly and well-fed, it probably has an owner. So, I recommend trying to find the owner. If you feel like the cat is being fed by its owner, reconsider whether it's a good idea to feed the cat. My neighbor's cat is a friendly indoor/outdoor cat and she tends to visit her neighbors whenever she finds an open window or door. The cat is on a special medical diet, so it's a bad thing when neighbors decide to feed her.
  12. Anita18

In that case, wouldn't it be necessary to have the cat wear a tag saying that she can't be fed regular food? I mean, if the cat is going in and out all the time. That way people would know she isn't just a stray, and the ones who picked her up would know not to feed her any random thing.
  13. Allskate

She has put up signs and informed the neighbors that they shouldn't feed the cat. Some people just want to do it anyway. It keeps this fun and sweet cat coming back. Also, there's no way anyone would really believe that this cat is a stray. She not only has a collar and tag with her address and phone number on it (as well as a microchip), but also is obviousy well-cared for and socialized to people.

Anyway, I wouldn't assume that just because a cat has scratches (pretty common with outdoor cats) and jumps in windows that it doesn't have an owner, especially if it otherwise looks well cared-for and is friendly. Even without a collar. There are some pets who are geniuses at escaping from their collars and some cats that are usually indoor cats don't have collars. There may be an owner looking for this cat and it would be a shame if someone simply locked her in their home just because it jumped it through their window. I would suggest pursuing the measures recommended in that link posted by ThatGirlCanSkate. If an owner is not found, then hopefully Citlali or some other cat lover will adopt her.
  14. Finnice

Finnice Well-Known Member

Good luck with the cat, Citlali! I would also recommend trying to find the owner, but if nobody is found and your dog is ok with her, just enjoy the cat! Mine do go out, but we live in the country. There are risks, but you choose if you take them or not. I am always happy to hear:cat:news!
  15. Citlali

Hi all,

So yesterday we took her to the vet and he found her to be healthy and the scratches to be healing fine:D, we now are pretty sure she is someones pet, hubby and I made posters and we are taking a newspaper add :) that is running today, so hopefully we could find her family. We leave the window open and she goes out, but always comes back, we followed the advice of the website TheGirlCanSkate recommended and bought her a collar and put our number on it, so if she goes back to her family they can contact us.

My :dog: is pretty old and seems to have that I'm-too-tired to deal with you attitude, :cat: doesn't bother her so, so far so good, will do our best to find her people, but in the meantime she has a home with us.
    victorskid and (deleted member) like this.
  16. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Thanks for the update Citiali!
  17. Allskate

Thanks for the update! Glad that she is doing well, that you are caring for her, and that you are trying to locate owners. Sounds like this will have a happy ending either way.
  18. madm

madm Active Member

My daughter (in vet school) lost one of her indoor cats two months ago and was very traumatized by it. Late one night a friend opened a sliding glass door to let his labrador out to go home, and the cat bolted out and was subsequently chased by the dog and jumped over a fence into neighbors' yards and was gone into the night. Fortunately two days later someone noticed the cat under their car about two blocks from her house, and befriended it. He called her phone number on the tag, and she was reunited (there was hissing and hiding when she arrived with a cat carrier though - the carrier represents going to the vet and traveling on airplanes). She had put up 60 posters in the surrounding neighborhoods, called local vets and humane society, and posted notices online. However, there was a good chance the collar might have been lost because she has a quick release collar on her cats so that they can't be strangled if they ever get caught on something like a fence. Anyway, don't assume the cat you found is a stray because it probably belongs to someone and they are most likely distraught about losing it, or else they let their cat roam freely and it is just visiting you. Thank you for giving the cat food and water, as it could be dehydrated and extremely hungry if it is outside for the first time and in unfamiliar surroundings. But by all means have the cat checked for a microchip and notify the humane society and local vets that you have found the cat. A notice in the paper may not do as much good as a notice online, since young people don't read newspapers much.

For those of you wondering why my daughter keeps her cats indoors when at least one of them clearly wants to be outside, there are numerous health reason for doing so. Nearly all outdoor cats carry feline leukemia which is transmitted easily airborne and many cats have feline aids. Cats that are indoors live much longer lives than outdoor cats exposed to diseases, predators and road hazards.
  19. Anita18

And fleas. :p
  20. milanessa

Vet school or not, that statement is BS.
  21. madm

madm Active Member

The experts do not agree with you. Many vets recommend giving the feline leukemia vaccine to kittens if they are going to be outdoor cats. The disease is transmitted by moist contact such as saliva.

According to http://www.winnfelinehealth.org/Pages/FeLV_Web.pdf:
    FeLV is responsible for the illness and death of more cats than any other disease condition.

Vaccination is recommended only for those cats whose lifestyle places them at risk for FeLV. This includes outdoor cats or those that are indoor/outdoor, feral cats, cats in open multi-cat households, cats in FeLV-positive households, and cats in households where the FeLV status of all resident cats is not known.

And according to http://www.feline-leukemia.net/diseases-triggered-by-feline-leukemia/:

Statistics say that one out of ten cats is a Feline Leukemia carrier. Feline Leukemia is a virus that is dreaded by every cat owner around and this is understandable since it is said to be one of the prime causes of cancer in cats.
    It is also labeled as a top cat killer, apart from being hit by fast-running automobiles. The death of an infected cat is more of a death out of complications developing through this disease because of the weakened immune system. Some infected cats are dying fast due to rampant infections or colds, rather than the virus contracted via the feline leukemia. Like the human AIDS, this disease can show off symptoms only after years of acquiring the virus and are therefore hard to counter because of retrograde signs.
  22. madm

madm Active Member

23. milanessa

No need to raise your voice. 1 out of 10 is at odds with the statement of yours that I quoted "Nearly all.....".
  24. mkats

mkats New Member

I swear, every house on this street owns at least one cat. And they're all outdoors cats. That said, somehow they all know their own territories and nobody leaves the grounds of their house! One of my neighbors has a gorgeous dark gray cat, who will happily roam around his front yard and driveway but will NOT take one step off the curb. Similarly, my landlady's three cats are constantly roaming her own yard, but I'll come out and find her cat sitting on my porch watching the next door lady's cat just a few feet over, but none of them ever cross the property line, at least that I've seen.

I don't know how they do it :lol:
    KatieC and (deleted member) like this.
  25. madm

madm Active Member

Sorry I was off on the statistics of how prevalent the FeLV disease is, but it is still the #1 disease killer of cats. It is a major epidemic in the U.S. and cat owners should vaccinate their cats. Unfortunately the disease is not readily visible in cats until many years after they are infected.

Re: feline AIDS, Cornell Univ. states (http://www.vet.cornell.edu/fhc/brochures/fiv.html)
    How common is the infection?

FIV-infected cats are found worldwide, but the prevalence of infection
    varies greatly. In the United States, approximately 1.5 to 3 percent of healthy
    cats are infected with FIV. Rates rise significantly-15 percent or more-in cats
    that are sick or at high risk of infection. Because biting is the most efficient
    means of viral transmission, free-roaming, aggressive male cats are the most
    frequently infected, while cats housed exclusively indoors are much less likely
    to be infected.
  26. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

I am with those that think the cat may already have an owner, particularly if they are well-fed and friendly. Some cats travel from house to house just because they can and make friends with everyone. We have a lovely black cat in my units called Lexus who likes to visit the other residents. If I have my backdoor open he just wanders in as if it is his own place or I have found him sitting on my front door step.

Although if the cat doesn't have a microchip then the cat certainly is open to be claimed by others. Always get your cat microchipped!
  27. liv

liv Well-Known Member

My cat came to me via the kitchen window. When I noticed him staring at me and pawing at my window I went outside. He came over and rubbed against me like we were buddies. For 3 days he stayed on my window, never leaving and always wanting in the house, but i resisted. I live in a townhouse complex and a neighbour lady knows all the cats (she takes the strays to the humane society if she sees them hanging around) and she said he didn't look like any cat she knew in the area so I finally took him in. I went to the vet and they didn't find a microchip or id numbers and no pictures or posters were put up anywhere. He basically adopted me. I figured he must've been someone's cat but since his owners didn't even bother to put up pictures about him (our pharmacy has a huge wall set out for this) he's now mine.

Sometimes people just dump their animals if they can't care for them or maybe they were college students who just wanted a cat while they were in school and then didn't want them afterwards. My guess is that my cat was a student's cat because my neighbourhood has lots of students and he wasn't fixed, so that make sense since it's expensive for a student to do that.

Good luck with the kitty!!