1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HEY! Where did the money go?

Discussion in 'Politically Incorrect' started by MOIJTO, Jul 12, 2010.

1. MOIJTO

MOIJTO Banned Member

Only 10% of the money raised by ALL sources has found its way to Haiti.

Where did all those millions that people donated go?

2. Beefcake

Beefcake Guest

I'm sure it'll somehow be blamed on Bush

sbmeagain and (deleted member) like this.
  3. reckless

reckless Well-Known Member

Do you have a link to support that?

Or are you confused about the statement made by the Haitian Prime Minister Jean-Max Bellerive and President Clinton in the New York Times? They said that only 10% of the money pledged in March by members of the UN to assist in the rebuilding has actually been paid. Money pledged by governments is not the same as money donated by private citizens to charities.

4. MOIJTO

MOIJTO Banned Member

:rofl: YUP!

5. Winnipeg

Winnipeg Well-Known Member

I think it is being withheld due to some issue re the country's leadership and future election

6. MOIJTO

MOIJTO Banned Member

Just every news source out there! Good enough? :)

7. Stormy

Stormy Well-Known Member

Well, no. It is very helpful when a link is posted so we can read the entire story. If you want any sort of discussion on the topic, having a link to a story helps because then we can form thoughts and opinions off the real, credible source. Having you state something isn't a real, credible source. I'd like to contribute to the discussion, but I can't since you give us nothing to go on.

8. Prancer

Prancer Cursed for all time Staff Member

Well, no. Because everything I've seen is related to this:

Which is not what you said.

Moving this to PI, since it is apparent that that will be the direction things go in.

9. Really

Really Boston 2016 - I came, I saw, I loved it!

Must be Konspiracy -- probably centered in New Jersey.

10. MOIJTO

MOIJTO Banned Member

All I did was ask the question, where did the money go? I had heard that only 10% of the TOTAL funds collected (which is government and private donations...I would guess) has been used.

11. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

And you heard wrong. People are just pointing that out.

12. MOIJTO

MOIJTO Banned Member

Isn't the UN money from governments? I don't think that my preception of the statement is wrong at all. I think as time goes on we will hear more about where the money didn't go.

13. skatingfan5

skatingfan5 Past Prancer's Corridor

If the money didn't come in, it didn't go anywhere. The quote was about money PLEDGED, i.e., money that was promised to be paid by the various governments. From the article:
    This is also not talking about 10% of money raised from ALL sources, as your original post claims.

14. reckless

Actually, what you said was:

"ALL sources" is not governments. Also, you talk about the "millions people donated, which implicates charitable contributions. People don't donate money to their government for purposes of international aid.

15. skatemomaz

skatemomaz Goodbye my sweet little boy

Bold mine
    There is a big difference between the first two statements and the last. As people have explained and the links provided show, it is not private donations that aren't making their way to Haiti, it is the money pledged by various governments. Big Big difference.

milanessa and (deleted member) like this.
  16. MOIJTO

MOIJTO Banned Member

Ok, but has the money contributed through charities made it to Haiti? I haven't heard boo about any $$$ making its way there. Those who are missionaries may have some $$ available but the bulk, haven't heard.

17. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

This link has a wealth of information about what Catholic Relief Services is doing with the money they've received. I'm sure that searching a charity's name and Haiti would help you find plenty of other information like this.

http://crs.org/haiti/stories/

18. HisWeirness

HisWeirness TAT-wannabe

A recent article about relief spending in Haiti six months on:
    6 Months After Earthquake, Haiti Struggles to Rebuild
    also, look here:
    How Charities Are Helping Haiti: How Much They Raised and Spent
    Lists charities and the dollar amounts received and spent so far

I searched on google for "charitable donations to haiti"

19. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

If you haven't heard anything about it, why are you asserting that 90% of it hasn't gotten there?

20. numbers123

numbers123 Well-Known Member

at 12:30 pm CDT, I wondered how long it would be before it got moved to the PI :scream:

I see that Prancer jumped on it (rightly so) around 1 pm. ;)

21. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Now that we've straightened out where than 90% figure came from, perhaps we can move on to the actual issue instead of continuing to nitpick.

If only 10% of the money pledged by UN members has been disbursed to Haiti, where's the rest of it? Have the members not made good on their pledges, or is the UN still hanging on to most of it, or perhaps both? What's the hold up?

Also, am I remembering this incorrectly, or wasn't part of the set up that individual donors sent money to a government-organized catchall fund? I thought there was one by the US gov, and the Cdn gov. I could be wrong, but if that's the case, that money might be part of Clinton was referring to - the individual donations that were channeled through governments, in addition to what governments themselves kicked in.

I also think this raises the issue of those squibs on many 24 hour news channels - because I have to say I had a similar impression to Lauren from a brief squib on one of our local news channels. Not everyone is going to follow up to find out all the details, and yet I've often seen errors or at least misleading information on those squibs. Ditto the teasers before newscasts go to commercial - they want you to stay tuned, so often make the upcoming story sound more dramatic than it actually is.

22. snoopy

snoopy Team St. Petersburg

I didn't know they were called squibs but ITA. There is a certain amount of work required to be accurately informed.

23. reckless

The money Clinton was describing was money pledged in March at a UN conference by member nations, as clearly stated in the Op-Ed piece I linked:

The money is clearly future government distributions, as indicated by this article from CBC about Canada's contribution:

If you read Clinton's piece, the main concern about the money is not necessarily that it hasn't arrived, but that there is no clear schedule for its arrival which makes planning impossible. In many cases, the money pledged by a country can only be disseminated after the pledge is approved by the country's legislature. Thus, the US pledged $1.15 billion, but has given only $30 million, because the rest is tied up in Congress.

24. elbeep

elbeep New Member

When I heard that last night, I wondered. It seemed to me, though, that they were talking more about money from governments than from NGOs working in the area. I know Americans as individuals gave bazillions to a wide assortment of non profits. Sure hope it's getting in and goes to help.

Edited to say, now that I read the whole thread (probably should have done that first), I see what the 10% figure really comprised. Thanks for the info.

25. elbeep

elbeep New Member

And Americans in general. Don't forget Americans in general. It's always our fault, no matter who president.

26. MOIJTO

MOIJTO Banned Member

YUP! ;)