Hersh interviews Nicole Bobek

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Jem X, Sep 11, 2010.

1. Jem X

Jem X Merry Christmas!

2. VALuvsMKwan

VALuvsMKwan Wandering Goy

I wish her the best. Recovery from addiction is certainly not easy, with or without criminal records or probation to deal with.

3. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

It sounds like she's trying hard. Good for her. I really hope she can keep it up!

4. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

How very random:

5. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

Great article by Hersh. Thanks for posting it.

I really hope she's able to keep it together.

6. JerseySlore

JerseySlore Active Member

I wish best of luck to her. Nicole is the first skater I've ever loved, and it's been tragic to see her downfall:( It's good to see she's pursuing GED and still involved in skating.
    It's little concerning she's dating someone barely old enough to drink given her romantic history, but it's her life and hope they have real future together.

Hersh's really having a field day with so many fs news, isn't he?

7. DeathDrop

DeathDrop New Member

Sorry to hear this unfortunate turn of an event, and this is not entirely unexpected in a way considering there do not seem to be many opportunities for skaters after their retirement unless they go on to colleges to get the education they need for life. Tim Goebel comes into my mind right away. He had received his bachelor's degree in mathematics no less recently at an age of 29 or 30 and found a job in a financial firm IIRC. They have to understand that there is a life after skating, with dwindling or almost bare skating market, coaching probably would not pay the bills for the rest of their lives although coaching seems to be a popular destination for them almost by default.

8. zhenya271

zhenya271 Active Member

I hope it works out for her. Just a thought, I don't really know all that much about it, but could she possibly have undiagnosed ADD? I read something awhile ago about one of the the pros about medicating for ADD/ADHD was the deterrent of illegal drug abuse.

9. museksk8r

museksk8r Holding an edge and looking dangerously sexy

Nicole was my first skating love too! :swoon: I am so glad and relieved that she is trying very hard to get her life back on track. Here's hoping that she never returns to such a dark, lonely, hopeless place in her life ever again! Nicole has all my support and positive thoughts as she continues on her road to recovery. I wish her lots of love with her mom, boyfriend, and friends and lots of success with her job and GED completion. I really hope she can once again be a role model to many people! She's really trying to turn her life around, so that's a positive step in the right direction. It would be really cool for her to get back into shape with the help of Richard and Todd too, having everything come full circle. :)

Last edited: Sep 11, 2010
  10. JerseySlore

JerseySlore Active Member

You might be onto something. Not that I want to justify her addiction, but her days as an athlete do scream ADD.

11. Jessica

Jessica Active Member

Nicole was my 3rd skating love. The first two being Dorothy and Kristi. I hope this works out for her. I was really upset when I first heard about this.

According to the article, JoJo Starbuck says she did have some form of ADD.

Audiences loved Nicole from the time she first skated in public. Start the music, any music, and she moved in tune with it. She was a natural talent with an attention deficit issue that made her almost impossible to teach. "Like trying to nail Jell-o to the wall,'' said JoJo Starbuck, the Hall of Fame pairs skater who did some choreographic work with Nicole.

12. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

Billy Corgan isn't exactly a model of stability either. It's nice that he's supporting her, but I hope he's supporting her in a way that's helping her.

13. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

word.

14. mikey

mikey ...an acquired taste

Well, in the article, it says, "She was a natural talent with an attention deficit issue that made her almost impossible to teach."

15. peibeck

peibeck Letting Poje be on top

I am not usually a Hersh fan, but this was a good article. I hope Nicole can keep on track and keep her life together.

16. Polymer Bob

Polymer Bob New Member

Good luck, Nicole. You can do it. :)

17. MikiAndoFan#1

MikiAndoFan#1 Well-Known Member

How nice to see Nicole wanting to get back with her life. Good luck, Nicole!

:)

18. zhenya271

zhenya271 Active Member

JoJo's quote is what I was basing my question on, I was just wondering if she might actually have the disorder. I wasn't sure if JoJo was saying that or generalizing that Nicole had attention issues, but I guess it is kind of clarified by the metaphor she gives.

I feel bad for her. I hope she finds the the right path for herself.

19. IceJunkie

IceJunkie Well-Known Member

Nicole's life looks to be going well...I truly hope she can recover and possibly come back to the ice!

20. azskatefan

azskatefan New Member

Best thing Hersh has ever written.

21. skateboy

skateboy Well-Known Member

About four years ago, I was with my (extremely flamboyant) friend, who is also a huge FS fan, at a Duane Reade in New York City. We saw Nicole, looking glamorous as usual. Of course my friend went nuts and ran up to her, practically drooling!

She was as sweet and nice as she could be, and said "I love New York, you'll probably see me just about any night at the Roxy!" As you may know, the Roxy was a huge club, famous for having a "Studio 54" feel--it was known for being a fun, dance and party scene, with the occasional celebrity in attendance. It was also known for having a drug scene. My thought at the time was that she was young and on her own, probably relishing in the spotlight of being accepted at a trendy club like the Roxy. (By the way, the Roxy was shut down shortly after that because of a drug raid, and even after it opened up again, it closed its doors permanently just a little while later.)

When I heard of Nicole's recent problems, I couldn't help but feel she may have just been seduced by the drugs, without realizing she was in a downward spiral. I've seen it happen to good people.

Just a gut feeling. This was a great article--I wish Nicole all the best.

22. MacMadame

MacMadame Cat Lady-in-Training

The coaches in my area who actually put some work into building up a client list and go a good job make good money. Some of them make 6 figures. That's pays the bills just fine.

23. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

I agree. It does sound like she's up to turning her life around.

24. viennese

viennese Well-Known Member

Happy to hear that Bobek has supportive friends and family and a job, and that she's still her forthright and funny self. It is hard to stay clean.

25. screech

screech Well-Known Member

She definitely sounds like she's taking it seriously, especially her attempts to get her registration as a criminal done - going multiple times, despite the computers being down. And she seems to be following the guidelines laid out for her.

I definitely wish her all the best.

26. tangerine_dream

tangerine_dream New Member

I'm glad they gave her another chance, and that she's taking it.

In my opinion people like her don't belong behind bars, not should they even be labeled criminals. Good luck on continuing your recovery, Nicole. :)

27. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting the article. That was a really good read. I always thought Nicole was one of the most musical skaters out there. I really hope she keeps it together now and moves forward. I like that fact that she is working at the rink, just doing what needs to be done. Shows a really down to earth person. Good on her.

28. Allskate

Allskate Well-Known Member

What a sad story. She's always been so charismatic and had such a light in her even if she had a hard time making the most of it and getting it all together. Meth is a hard addiction to break. I'm hoping that she'll be among the minority that are successful.

29. Satellitegirl

Satellitegirl New Member

I'm glad she seems to be rebuilding her life. I'd love for her to get her skating back and be able to perform more. She sounds like she's on the right path. I'm tempted to write her a letter of support.

30. Hannahclear

Hannahclear Well-Known Member

I really hope she can keep herself together. This article was a great read.