Hermit Crab Assistance

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by agalisgv, May 20, 2010.

1. agalisgv

agalisgv Well-Known Member

Is anyone familiar with caring for hermit crabs? I know nothing about them, and my son just "won" a drawing for two at school (complete with cage).

We're so lucky :p.

Thanks for any info :)

2. Southpaw

Southpaw Saint Smugpawski

Congratulations on the big win! :D

Hermit crabs pretty much take care of themselves. Fill the cage with aquarium rocks and maybe a nice piece of driftwood, give them a little dish of water, buy a shaker of hermit crab food. They can be pretty active and will go crawling around the cage and climb up on the driftwood and hang from the wire mesh screen cover. That's about all there is to it in the exciting lives of hermit crabs. Oh yeah, they molt and get bigger so you have to get bigger shells for them to crawl into. One day you'll see what you think is a dead hermit crab without a shell, but it's really just the old carapace. Their cages can get kind of smelly so they will have to be washed out every so often. I think they're a great pet for your son. They're lower maintenance than fish and will teach responsibility like any other pet. They're charming little creatures, really.

You can let them out of the cage, but definitely keep an eye on them because they do like to roam the neighborhood.

3. Gazpacho

Gazpacho Well-Known Member

Here's a guide sheet.

You may be a grandmother by the time they die.

Btw, I'm very surprised they're holding drawings for pet animals at school.

4. agalisgv

20 years?!

I thought they only lived a few months.

:duh: :duh: :duh:

Apparently the science class has animals for observation during the year. This year it was hamsters and hermit crabs. At the end of the year, they have a lottery for students to take them home. I'm assuming the school does this so they don't have to take care of them during the summer.

Thanks for all the info :)

5. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

Whatever you do, keep them in a lidded container like a large Kritter Keeper or aquarium with a lid. Mine managed to climb out.

6. judiz

judiz Well-Known Member

Always make sure there is fresh water in the cage and a wet sponge they can drink from.

Don't use fish tank gravel, use sand sold especially for hermit crabs. Crabs will eat the sand, it provides them with vitamins.

7. agalisgv

We won two crabs, so it already has a friend. They already have names too--Tickles and Pinch.

We have a large soft sand bar where I live--can we just use that sand?

8. OlieRow

OlieRow Well-Known Member

They're super easy to take care of! We had several growing up and they actually lived in the tub in the spare bathroom. My mother was not a fan (mostly for the fact that my dad let us keep them in the bathtub) and probably only agreed to let us get them in the first place because she thought they wouldn't live very long. They were the only pets we had growing up, so I thought it was awesome. I think they inhabited the bathtub for 5+ years before they died; we had issues getting them to successfully change shells. During that time, I'm pretty sure my mom only went into the bathroom a handful of times. It was great, we'd put in a tiny bit of water that'd collect around the drain and we had some shells and rocks for them to climb on/hide in and we'd close the bathroom door and let them roam the bathroom. Ahhhh my childhood!

Jodi and (deleted member) like this.
  9. Southpaw

I was thinking about it tonight and I meant to say put sand in the tank, not aquarium rocks. They like to burrow. I don't see why you couldn't use natural sand, though it might be kind of dirty. Bagged sand is pretty cheap.

Oh yeah, they can live a looooong time. Forgot to mention that. :lol:

10. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

I would guess this was probably some kind of class project and with summer approaching they are trying to find a home for them. We did something similar in the 6th grade. We were all responsible for putting a fish tank in another grade's classroom and we had to take care of it for a few weeks. We did this in groups of about 5 students. At the end we had drawings to see who won the fish, tank, supplies, etc because it didn't make sense to just take home the things you bought because everyone split it up. What good would a bunch of pebbles do? lol

11. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

Aw, that's so cute! Sounds like your son is very excited about it :)

OlieRow, that's a great story :lol:

I never had a hermit crab growing up, but I think a lot of my friends must have, as it seemed like they were always around. I would put one on my hand and then get really freaked out when the crab would come out and start truckin' around.

12. MOIJTO

MOIJTO Banned Member

Easy care and not very exciting they mostly hide in their shells all day long!

13. Stefanie

Stefanie Well-Known Member

My brother and I had them when we were little and they didn't last any longer than a year, IIRC. Our parents bought them for us when we went to the beach on vacation. I always took care of mine and he would neglect his and guess whose crab lived longer?! HIS! :mad: Anyway, I remember we used to tape shoelaces to the the shells and take the hermit crabs for walks. :lol: One time one of the crabs crawled out of the cage--and we had a heavy grate on top (not the typical one that comes with the cage; my grandfather made it to go over the aquarium tank)--and ended up in my dad's shoe. Imagine his surprise when he was getting ready for work and stuck his foot and felt something "crabby" inside :eek:. Fortunately, he didn't actually step on it.

Gazpacho and (deleted member) like this.
  14. Auntie

Auntie New Member

They are a great pet for an elementary age child. My daughter took hers out and "played" with it quite often. Very easy to care for too. She had fun picking out funky painted shells for her crab to try out. I think they might be nocturnal. I remember quite a bit of night time scratching and commotion.

Ours lived about two years. My friend had one that lived for over 10 years!

15. Squibble

Squibble New Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hermit_crab

:)

16. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

And now I think I want a hermit crab. Huh.

17. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

I know, I want one too now.

18. Southpaw

Not to encourage anyone, but the hermit crab shells can be blinged out with some glitter glue. ;)

mysticchic and (deleted member) like this.
  19. agalisgv

You cannot imagine how excited he is.

We were supposed to pick them up today, but since we're traveling a bit this weekend, I thought it would be better to wait till Monday.

So I've been reading up, and I've read in a few places where hermit crabs that molt need to be separated or it will be eaten alive by the others (in my case other). So it's been recommended to have an isolation tank handy.

Have people had issues with this where the crabs needed to be separated so as not to cannibalize each other?

20. Southpaw

Yep, I've seen it happen. As Jeff Spiccoli would say, it was pretty gnarly.

21. Kasey

Kasey Loving on babies!

Add me to the ones thinking now about getting a hermit crab....(and I wonder what the kitties would think?)

22. Southpaw

23. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

:rofl: I think the one in the post position was dead.

24. Southpaw

:lol: If you read (and believe) the viewer comments his name is Herpes.

25. judiz

judiz Well-Known Member

I had four hermit crabs in my classroom and I use to have hermit crab races all the time. We set up the race track using blocks and then each crab was given his own lane to "run" in. The kids (I teach pre-k) would yell out each crab's name and encourage it to win. It turned into a great rainy day activity when we couldn't go to the playground.

26. skipaway

skipaway Well-Known Member

This thread is just too funny.....:rofl:

27. Southpaw

I think if any FSUers go running out this weekend to their local pet shop to buy a hermit crab they should name them after other FSUers.

I dare someone to name their crab Prancer.

Last edited: May 22, 2010
  28. Kasey

Kasey Loving on babies!

I can't have a crab named "mylittlepony"? :(

29. FGRSK8

FGRSK8 In Search of a Lost Chord

I'll name my Hermit Crab "Patchskates"

All your hermit crabs will :scream::scream::scream: in fear! :lol:

30. mmscfdcsu

mmscfdcsu Skating Pairs with Drew

You could call it mmscfdcsu. :shuffle:

jamesy and (deleted member) like this.